Hi Forum newbie here with some questions about Ride Control

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
I have just purchased a pre loved 2019 Giant Fathom E3+ and downloaded their app - primarily as there is no bike mounted display. I am using a Samsung Galaxy and the bike firmware updated itself when I recently connected so using current firmware - although saw some posts about the update bricking the bike which is a bit scarey esp as I am well out of warranty.
Anyway all appears good but when I looked at the info after my first ride, there is clearly something wrong with the data. Also uploaded to Strava out of the Ride Control app and as shown in the pics below, the data does not match. I have only done this ride once and am sure data has the same source but nothing matches - except title and time.
I note that there is no cadence info - I checked on various web sites but it is not clear if the bike comes with this as standard or is this an upgrade - not even sure that this info is even very useful for me but appreciate feedback on this one.
I am interested in adding a small display to the bike so a I see distance travelled and, I like the look of the Ride Dash Evo but not sure if it is compatible with my 2019 model - I am not sure how to tell if my RideOne controller includes ANT+ - I suspect not as there is info on the Giant site that this came in with their 2020 model. The last pic shows details from the bike incl RideControl Device Type as One and Hardware version as 2018030.
Greatly appreciate any feedback from other EMTB experts but in the meantime getting ready for another ride :)
Cheers
Mike

Rideone and Strava.jpg

Capture.JPG

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I have the same bike. I'm pretty sure you can pull out the 2019 RideControl and put in a 2020+ one which has Ant+. Then you can buy one of these bad boys:

Also there is a thread over here about upgrading a 2019 Trance to this setup:

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
Just received and installed the new ANT+ upgrade, Giant UK were very responsive and shipped the unit quickly but it arrived with no documentation. I found a Youtube describing the installation (Upgrade Giant Trance E+ 2019 with ANT+ Ride Control One 2020, view power and range on Wahoo Elemnt - YouTube ) but was for a Trance vs my Fathom. Getting the connector out of the frame proved to be a bit of a challenge but I was able to get at the connector via the opening on the opposite site of the frame.

I took the precaution of removing the bike battery and having a strong internet signal for my phone for the firmware update. So far looks good but a will feel more confident after a few hours using the controller.
Cheers

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
Just received and installed the new ANT+ upgrade, Giant UK were very responsive and shipped the unit quickly but it arrived with no documentation. I found a Youtube describing the installation (Upgrade Giant Trance E+ 2019 with ANT+ Ride Control One 2020, view power and range on Wahoo Elemnt - YouTube ) but was for a Trance vs my Fathom. Getting the connector out of the frame proved to be a bit of a challenge but I was able to get at the connector via the opening on the opposite site of the frame.

I took the precaution of removing the bike battery and having a strong internet signal for my phone for the firmware update. So far looks good but a will feel more confident after a few hours using the controller.
Cheers
The new RideControl with ANT+ is looking good and tested out fine with Garmin 530 although I could not get Cadence to work, I assume this is just settings but was just a test of the RideControl so not worried about this (yet).
I am looking at buying a Bryton 750 and would appreciate feedback from any Garmin ebike members who have used this. The Bryton ebike documentation indicates Shimano Steps compatibility and there is a reference to "ANT+ LEV e-bike support for compatible brands to display various e-bike data, including assist mode, assist level shifting mode, E-Bike battery, travel range and rear gear position" so am hopeful that it will work.
Again would appreciate any feedback from members who have experience with this unit - certainly seems good value for the functionality it offers.
Thanks in anticipation

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
I'm using a Garmin Edge 830 with a remote and is basically the same as the 530 with touchscreen. Enable the cadence in sensor settings. What would the Bryton offer over the Garmin?

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
I'm using a Garmin Edge 830 with a remote and is basically the same as the 530 with touchscreen. Enable the cadence in sensor settings. What would the Bryton offer over the Garmin?
I incorrectly indicated that I was looking for Garmin user feedback, should have been Giant feedback also should have mentioned the 530 was a loaner, the Bryton is supposedly similar to the 830 but somewhat lower priced :)

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
One of the attractions for me with the Garmin (530/830) is the remote, and the seamless integration with Trailforks so all the trails in the vicinity are there, get to the head of a trail and up it pops with the ability to zoom in and check the way to go. Also integration with Strava and all the Giant on-bike sensors (cadence, power, battery level remaining, power mode....) is a sweet setup.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
One of the attractions for me with the Garmin (530/830) is the remote, and the seamless integration with Trailforks so all the trails in the vicinity are there, get to the head of a trail and up it pops with the ability to zoom in and check the way to go. Also integration with Strava and all the Giant on-bike sensors (cadence, power, battery level remaining, power mode....) is a sweet setup.
I agree about the remote. I have a 530 with that and I love the fact I can get more info whilst keeping my hands on the grips.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles