Help with Helmet Size

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I am having an issue getting a comfortable helmet. I have tried a POC Tectal Race Spin in Large and it felt too loose even when tightened (medium too small). Bell Sixer and and Super Air dig in at the sides near the back, also Large. I have been looking at the TLD A2/A3 but no stock locally to try (Ireland). Any comments on sizing? Looks like I am borderline (59cm) from the M/L to XL/XXL. Should I go for the XL/XXL? Also any comments welcome on how the TLD Helmets fit? I would take a chance with the TLD and return if needed. I think the cradle inside the Bell was the issue and POC had little cushioning. Maybe my head is a weird shape, lol

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What I have read (backed up by personal experience) is that each helmet company uses its own last for each size. The lasts vary in detail between companies, which is why one fits like a glove and another doesn't. If you discovered that (for example) FOX helmets fit well, try another one of theirs.

I was a MET fan for years, not by choice but because they were the only ones I could find that fitted! I have lost count of the hours spent trying on helmets to find one that fitted, but always came back to MET. I tried buying helmets on the internet and ended up sending back anything not by MET. I bought my full face off the net and it fitted perfectly, but guess what? It was a MET Parachute! :)

Then in a random bike shop one day, I tried a Bell Super (without the chin bar, excellent as a trail helmet) and it was a perfect fit! After breaking the first one, I'm now on my second and when it breaks there will be a third! :love:

Edit: PS: Don't forget that some helmets have an adjustable cradle, not just to tighten by that device at the back, but also the height of the cradle. They are not meant to be adjusted every ride, but maybe just once when setting it up. And maybe again after a blow to the top of the helmet that may have moved the adjustment. But if the blow was that hard examine the helmet VERY carefully for damage.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would say at 59cm you are definitely XL. Generally speaking the most comfortable fit comes from a helmet with a choice of padding inserts. I also think it is easier to get a comfortable and secure fit with a full face as opposed to a open face. With so many lightweight enduro style full face helmets available now there is every reason to consider one as your default helmet.
My Smith Mainline full face helmet came with a choice of pads for the front rear and sides of the helmet making it pretty easy to customer fit a variety of head shapes. I am 57cm and the large is just right for me so it would be XL for you. I have also used Giro and still have an Endura open face and both in size large.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles