Help needed re: Fork upgrade

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
IMG_5385.JPG

Hello, this is my first step into the world of eMTB and this forum, which i was advised to join. I've just purchased a 2021 29" Cube Reaction Performance 625... I want to upgrade the forks from the factory SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm to ones which i can lockout. I'm not sure what to look out for, but all i know is they are tapered stem and the head tube is 120mm (size L frame) 29" wheels. Not bothered about more clearance, just want a better fork with lockout feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There will be a few options, but the 100mm of travel might limit what's available as most forks of that travel are fairly spindly xc forks and you would probably want something a little more robust on an EMTB. Whats the budget?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also looking at the front wheel it looks to be a quick release rather than a through axle - this would limit your choice fo forks to the budget end unless you change the front wheel.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
View attachment 62422
Hello, this is my first step into the world of eMTB and this forum, which i was advised to join. I've just purchased a 2021 29" Cube Reaction Performance 625... I want to upgrade the forks from the factory SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm to ones which i can lockout. I'm not sure what to look out for, but all i know is they are tapered stem and the head tube is 120mm (size L frame) 29" wheels. Not bothered about more clearance, just want a better fork with lockout feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Where are you based @gavcav ?
Are you based in the UK?
if so, let me know and I'll see whether I've got some 9mm qr forks available in a 29" straight steerer ?

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Where are you based @gavcav ?
Are you based in the UK?
if so, let me know and I'll see whether I've got some 9mm qr forks available in a 29" straight steerer ?
You could always put a jubilee clip around each fork stanchion. ??. Only kidding. Will be very limited to upgrade to a lockout, as others have suggested. Good luck.

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
There will be a few options, but the 100mm of travel might limit what's available as most forks of that travel are fairly spindly xc forks and you would probably want something a little more robust on an EMTB. Whats the budget?
not really sure what the cost of a middle on the road set of forks is tbh, was thinking/hoping i could do it for around £150-200?

Frankenbetty

Jun 6, 2020
Llandegla
Don’t get hung up over having a lockout. if you upgrade to a better quality fork with decent compression and rebound damping you’ll find that a lockout is really necessary.
itd be worth seeing if you can convert your hub to a 15mm through axle as most decent quality forks are though axl rather than QR
i went from some Suntours to a Marzocchi and it’s like night and day..

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’m no expert but switching lockout on its massively noticeable when riding uphill and helps on flats also which probably helps yours battery out also....wouldn’t say it’s a deal breaker though if it’s never been used during riding but I switch all the time, it’s fun when you forget dh too as you get a bumpier faster ride ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
From personal experience I would not waste money on a lockout. I have had forks with lockouts and I very soon stopped bothering with them. None of my last four bikes had a "lockout" that actually locked out the travel, just a lever or dial that increased the low speed compression damping and I never used them either. If I was contemplating spending £150-200 on your bike I would buy a dropper seatpost instead. It will transform your ride.
Take a look at the
Brand-X Ascend Dropper Seatpost
They come in a variety of seatpost diameters and travel. Look for the diagram that gives all the dimensions. These are good. I bought one for my grandson's bike and I was properly impressed. I would have no hesitation in fitting one to my onw bike once my current KS dropper fails.

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
Thanks everyone, all very good comments..my problem is i'm not totally sure what i need to be looking for other than keeping the travel around 100-120, 29" wheel compatible, QR drop out axle ( i don't want to mess about changing from QR to through axles?) i'm unsure whether my model has a tapered steerer/stem and what size it needs to be. At the moment it's got Suntour XCM 100 mm which have corrosion so i need to replace.

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
just looking at the Cube website and it shows the Headset info:

29: ACROS AZF-1039, 1 1/8" straight, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (ZS 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm)

..so it looks like my current forks have a straight stem? does anyone know if that is correct?

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
Right i think i've got all the info i need?

Current Fork: SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm

Headset: 29: ACROS AZF-1039, 1 1/8" straight, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (ZS 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm)

Stem: CUBE Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mm

Axle: QR, Centerlock

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
As you've got a tapered headset ZS44/56 if you change the lower bearing you'll be able to fit forks with a tapered shaft which open up options and a 120mm fork won't make much difference to the geo when you take the sag into consideration, so that should help with the options and availablity as well.

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
As you've got a tapered headset ZS44/56 if you change the lower bearing you'll be able to fit forks with a tapered shaft which open up options and a 120mm fork won't make much difference to the geo when you take the sag into consideration, so that should help with the options and availablity as well.
So it's a tapered stem? what does the 'straight' refer to in the tech specs?
[Headset: 29: ACROS AZF-1039, 1 1/8" straight, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (ZS 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm)]

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
So it's a tapered stem? what does the 'straight' refer to in the tech specs?
[Headset: 29: ACROS AZF-1039, 1 1/8" straight, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (ZS 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm)]
The steerer on your forks are straight as they don't taper at the bottom but because cube have used a larger diameter bearing at the bottom you can change the bottom bearing to have the correct inner diameter to fit a fork with a tapered steerer tube.
Basically Cube have cut costs by fitting a cheap fork but kept the frame they use on other models.
I forgot to say also measure from the bottom of the head tube to the top of the stem to make sure you buy a fork with a long enough steering tube (especially important if you buy secondhand)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles