Shimano steps e8000 help needed ST Unlocker

Doozey16

Jan 27, 2022
United kingdom
Hello people am new to forum was recommended to join regarding a problem am haveing with my bike (merida e one sixty 9k 2020) hopefully I can get some info as to what I need todo to fix my bike the problem being I used st Unlocker to change to us mode also changed my wheel size to 1300 it worked fine could always change the settings then 1 day my bike felt bit notchy to ride so I connect my e tube app and there was update which I done the bike felt like new again but since then the ST Unlocker app won’t let me change anythink I spoke to ST Unlocker told me to downgrade firmware which I have no clue how todo this the instructions they sent me will only work on e tube app version 5.02 and my app version is 5.03 I have no clue how I would get the older version e tube app also I have been to 3 different bike shops for them all to be confused as me they have plugged computers in but no option to put bike back to standard any help be much appreciated I just want be able put bike back to standard Europe mode and correct wheel size thanks doozey16

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
Think you'll find that Shimano are closing down most of the configuration options to the end user and to a lesser extent the same for bike shops. It seems that any parameters which could get around speed restrictions have to be managed by Madison in conjunction with the local Shimano Service Centre. So, to resolve your problem, I reckon you'll need to find your local SSC and ask them to arrange with Madison. Unless that is, you manage to download an earlier version of the bike f/ware (4.8 or earlier). Shimano's approach is becoming increasingly frustrating as a simple thing like a change of tyres, which can impact on the accuracy of speed and distance of a ride, can only be rectified by Madison:(

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Shimano's approach is becoming increasingly frustrating as a simple thing like a change of tyres, which can impact on the accuracy of speed and distance of a ride, can only be rectified by Madison:(
Concerning the last point about the subtleties of tyre size requiring intervention by Madison, is that something you’ve experienced without any alteration of the settings for wheel size (ever), or something you’ve experienced having changed away from the default settings for your country, or something that’s based on significant experience of several bikes (for example you might be a bike engineer in a large lbs dealing with several EP8’s or 8000’s per month)?

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
The problem is that you need to downgrade the firmware on your motor to one that ST UNLOCKER can work with. Unfortunately with the latest version of etube 5.03 shimano have prevented you from downgrading the firmware on the motor. You can still do it but you need to have etube version 5.02 or earlier. I can give you instruction on how to downgrade but they would be useless unless the version of etube you have is an earlier version.

Doozey16

Jan 27, 2022
United kingdom
The problem is that you need to downgrade the firmware on your motor to one that ST UNLOCKER can work with. Unfortunately with the latest version of etube 5.03 shimano have prevented you from downgrading the firmware on the motor. You can still do it but you need to have etube version 5.02 or earlier. I can give you instruction on how to downgrade but they would be useless unless the version of etube you have is an earlier version.
Hello thanks for the reply I do have instructions on what I need todo they probley are the same as the 1s you have as am not the best on computers as I found out last night 3 hours I spent tryin to figure it out to be no better off 🙈 I just Carnt find how I would downgrade the e tube app first so then I could give it a go at downgrade the firmware on the motor I have just spoken to few shops 1 of them sayin sutton similar to yourself about Madison who deal with shimano but problem am havein then is every other shop first thing they say is your warranty is void now although the bike is fine so was just seein if any 1 here in uk had any other easier way todo this our if any 1 no’s any 1 in uk bike shops who can do this without all the warranty shouts thanks again

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
Concerning the last point about the subtleties of tyre size requiring intervention by Madison, is that something you’ve experienced without any alteration of the settings for wheel size (ever), or something you’ve experienced having changed away from the default settings for your country, or something that’s based on significant experience of several bikes (for example you might be a bike engineer in a large lbs dealing with several EP8’s or 8000’s per month)?
Personal experience - I had a new motor fitted recently and the f/w (v4.9) was configured with 29" wheels rather than 27.5". My lbs (Shimano Service Centre) were unable to change the wheel size parameters to the correct value as they said it could only be carried out remotely by Madison. So, beware of changing your tyre size too drastically as it could impact on the accuracy of speed and odo readings unless you have the involvement of Madison/Shimano. I could have gone down the f/w reversion route and used Stunlocker or similar to change the setup but with the new motor came a new 2yr warranty and I'm really not keen on jeopardising that at the moment

Doozey16

Jan 27, 2022
United kingdom
Personal experience - I had a new motor fitted recently and the f/w (v4.9) was configured with 29" wheels rather than 27.5". My lbs (Shimano Service Centre) were unable to change the wheel size parameters to the correct value as they said it could only be carried out remotely by Madison. So, beware of changing your tyre size too drastically as it could impact on the accuracy of speed and odo readings unless you have the involvement of Madison/Shimano. I could have gone down the f/w reversion route and used Stunlocker or similar to change the setup but with the new motor came a new 2yr warranty and I'm really not keen on jeopardising that at the moment
Hello this is the thing I have changed my wheel size on the ST Unlocker app put in USA mode and changed the wheel size to smallest it would go 1300 I think it was as for speed it shows half the speed so if doin 20mph it would show as 10mph but what I have noticed is my battery lift doesn’t last I Carnt enjoy a nice long ride even if keep in eco am getting about 18miles out of it we’re my freinds still have 50% battery life left they have slightly bigger battery’s 625wh we’re mine is 500wh but this is reason I just wanted bike bk to standard because very rare am doin over the 16mph on the rides I do so to be honest am sorry I messed about with all this in first place so yer if I was you I would keep ur new motor standard and just put up with the 16mph 👊

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Your ability to downgrade the etube firmware is dependent on which phone you have. If you have an iPhone there is no solution. You can downgrade the etube app on an android phone by side loading the older app and you should be able to find a link to this on the internet. I understand that with the PC app and the shimano interface PCE002 card then any version of the etube app would work. It sounds like your best bet is to find someone who has the PCE002 card to help you with the downgrade.

Doozey16

Jan 27, 2022
United kingdom
Hello I manged to fix this problem if any 1 has same problem as me you need get android phone download E-TUBE app 5.02 then connect phone to a computer and copy the instructions basically move a few files into a folder then upload through Bluetooth to the bike through the E-TUBE app I am no good with all computer stuff my brother is and I watched him do it and it was 5 10 mins todo 👊

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
Hello this is possibly one of the silliest questions ever asked on this forum 🤔the only way I can check real battery percentage on my ep8 is using St unlocker by going into information then checking battery level.. I have changed no settings whatsoever as I'm not interested in unlocking the bike.. if I did have a warranty claim down the track can shimano detect I connected to the app and knock me back even though no settings are changed whatsoever? .. Would they do that to be stingy tight arses?... but I think according to other threads my firmware won't allow it to be unlocked unless I downgrade so I'm sure they could check the firmware anyway I think I just answered my own question
Shimano will not be able to tell that you used Stunlocker to view battery level. However, you can view battery level using the shimano etube app.

steve160

Jun 16, 2020
Perth Australia
On a side note is the paid version of St unlocker linked tomthe motor or the display, as in if I change the display would I need to pay for a new subscription.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles