Levo Gen 3 Help find the rattle on my '22 Levo Expert?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I've had my '22 Levo Expert for three months and about 700 miles. Unfortunately, it came with a very noticeable rattle, which been mentioned on the gen 3 mega thread by myself and a few others. My dealer who has sold a bunch of '22 Levos has tried everything that has been mentioned in the mega thread as a possible fix, they even installed a new motor since a few folks said that a new motor fixed their rattle. The bottom line is my dealer and specialized are unable to figure it out at this time. I'm sure eventually the rattle will be located. I'm starting this thread, so that it will be place for others who have a similar issue can share info.

Please do not added stuff like "just wear headphones" or "Specialized bike's are overpriced POS"

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You think something like this would be easy to find ..

rattle.jpg

So what's been ruled out so far ?

Motor - sometimes ?
Cables ? Seat post ? Is it just the ones with the larger reduction collar ? or all of them ?
Which brakes / pads ?
Can it be simulated in a stand or just on terrain "x" ?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
rattle sounds like it's a loose headset and or something loose somewhere
it can't be simulated on a stand or by bouncing the bike on pavement
rattle happens 100% of the time when riding on chunky trails

what's been done: checked all bolts and pivots
all S5 and S6 require a plastic spacer for the battery and that was added
zip tied tcu cables
filled the down tube with a tire tube, removed after test ride
brakes are code RS, checked all cable routing
new motor and motor mounts

I'm not sure about the seat post or the extra collar, but I'll ask if that's been checked.

thanks

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
Because you’re saying that sounds like a loose head set, and riding chunky trails, even though the bike is new, check for play on the fork, between stanchions/lowers, crown/steerer tube. This is something that could happen with lots of hours/miles of riding but it could also be that the bushings on the new fork are out of tolerance. This is my humble suggestion, if you feel that doesn’t make sense, forget about it. I’m saying it because I had this issue in an old fork.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
My headset bearings are very picky. They rattle if the tension is too loose. They rattle if the tension is too tight. I've resigned myself to the following sequence that I do about 4 times per year.
  1. Remove headset bearings, wipe everything clean (steerer tube, bearings, spacers, housing), add some grease to all hidden surfaces (between spacers, inside housing, etc), reassemble using very low torque on steerer tube tension bolt (maybe 2-3 Nm).
  2. After some weeks of blissful quiet, headset rattle returns. Tighten steerer tube tension bolt 1/6 turn (loosen stem clamp first!).
  3. I get a few more weeks of quiet, then the rattle again. Tighten steerer another 1/6 turn. At this point the clamp bolt is pretty tight, but the front still pivots easily. I don't feel any drag.
  4. It stays quite for awhile, but only "awhile" is measured in weeks, not months or years. Go to step 1.

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Try different shock. My x2 does knocking sound on chunky terrain(riding roots and rocks) and knocking sound disappears after fitting storia. X2 has been seriviced once but then it was leaky lever which they serviced but knocking sound remains. Will send it again.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
Try different shock. My x2 does knocking sound on chunky terrain(riding roots and rocks) and knocking sound disappears after fitting storia. X2 has been seriviced once but then it was leaky lever which they serviced but knocking sound remains. Will send it again.

That's very interesting, can you provide the storia model and specs that you're running?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I have the EXT Arma. I contacted the distributor in my country (USA) and told them I want an Arma for a Turbo Levo, and I gave them my riding weight. The shock they sent is a straight bolt in and works very well for me.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I have the EXT Arma. I contacted the distributor in my country (USA) and told them I want an Arma for a Turbo Levo, and I gave them my riding weight. The shock they sent is a straight bolt in and works very well for me.

Did you try riding with the X2 locked out? I'm going to throw a different shock on and see what happens

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
Wow dear thread's owner and friends, i've seen doctors find the cure just listening to the patient coughing at the phone but never solving a rattle just reading a post..
AMAZING! ?

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Have you checked if the derailleur hanger screws are tight? On my Giant it was creaking from there.
Does it rattle if you are off the bike and apply pressure with your foot on the pedal with the brakes engaged?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I have a rattling sound coming from my motor (‘21 Levo). Verified that it’s the motor because it stops when I power the motor off while still pedaling.
motor has been replaced

Have you checked if the derailleur hanger screws are tight? On my Giant it was creaking from there.
Does it rattle if you are off the bike and apply pressure with your foot on the pedal with the brakes engaged?
hanger is tight

It's easier if you post a video (with audio!)
not possible, rattle only happens when bombing down chunky stuff

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi together !

I also realized a rattling on some newer S-Mag Motors. The rattle is only reproducable when rearsuspension works.

The cause: Pedal strikebacks when suspension works gives minimal chain backpulls onto the chainring and into the planet gear. If this planet gear has more play than others it rattles. My Alu Drive S hat no rattling, but actual S-Mag has.

Check the following: Put Bike in workstand, put in a middle gear and give rotational impulses to the backwheel by moving forward-backward-forward.... by a few degrees (same happens to the chainring when suspension works). Perhaps you can hear the same rattling vom motor area. You can also try to move bike impulsively backwards on the ground.

- I could hear the plastic gear rattling and think this could be a general issue on many Drive S-Mag.

Best regards,

Chris

Tomnz

Jul 24, 2021
Porirua, New Zealand
I finally got my 22 expert last night and found a rattle near the headset on my first spin around the block, I found that the remote cable was very long and coiled up below the tcu, it was hitting the inside of the frame each time I hit something or landed, might be worth a look

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I finally got my 22 expert last night and found a rattle near the headset on my first spin around the block, I found that the remote cable was very long and coiled up below the tcu, it was hitting the inside of the frame each time I hit something or landed, might be worth a look
We tried that and no help. The best guess at this point is the problem is the Fox Shock, unfortunately I'd have to ship the shock to Fox. I plan on trying a different shock soon.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hey there,

i had extreme knocking/ rattling sounds, always on shaking root lines. sounded like a loose part knocking from inside the frame.
But Nothing to hear when shaking the bike in the stand.

I now searched all the frame internals several times and found that Specialized imtegrated me some secret Swat spare part:

That carbon spacer was in the top tube end near the seattube and rattled as hell !

A5A4A017-BE3A-4417-A254-03DDD479A486.jpeg

Perhaps other rattling levos also have integrated secret spare parts by speci assembly line ?

Best regards,

Chris

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
It was my third try to find something in the frame. That spacer was sticking mos ttime fixed at the end of the top tube and was only noticeable when the bike was shaking hard frequently. I finally got it by lowering the front in the bike stand and fishing blind in the toptupe thorough the TCU opening with a thick wire. It took a few minutes and some different bent angles of the wire until i heard a part rattling which then came rolled to the TCU opening :)

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
It was my third try to find something in the frame. That spacer was sticking mos ttime fixed at the end of the top tube and was only noticeable when the bike was shaking hard frequently. I finally got it by lowering the front in the bike stand and fishing blind in the toptupe thorough the TCU opening with a thick wire. It took a few minutes and some different bent angles of the wire until i heard a part rattling which then came rolled to the TCU opening :)
thanks, I'll give it a try

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I had a red tube like on a can of WD40 up above the motor. Found it when I swapped out the dropper cable. Stock dropper housing was absolutely mangled and kinked. Same for the cable and the drag was awful.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Really? That is quite bad, to be honest. How the hell did that get through inspection. Also, seems like you have the S-Works as well. Not that this should or could be expected on the "Cheaper(by no means cheaper)" bikes. But damn, that is some bad quality checks. This must have come from Specialized, as I think they build up the bikes, and they are not shipped from Taiwan fully build up with motor and all..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles