Helmets that don’t make your head look like a mushroom

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
What is the smallest peaked mtb helmet that doesn’t look like my head is a fucking mushroom?!

I’ve seen some while out and about that look barely bigger than a baseball cap, and quite stylish, so what do you lot use, as I’m fed up going to the post office and sending helmets back?

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I use a 7idp as my everyday helmet, I’ve a 62cm head so struggle getting helmets that fit and dont look ridiculous. The 7idp is really comfy, looks decent and they crash well. Landed on my head coming down Glencoe last year and helmet did its job, twisted itself and deformed but I was 100% fine. Replaced it with another the next day. ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mine is the Bell Super (see pic to the left). I will leave you to decide if I look like a mushroom!

Sadly, if you are in between sizes, too big for the S/M, but the L/XL is enormous, then the only thing to do is to choose helmets that come in a wider range of sizes. That will of course mean the maker has to make and stock more helmets, so the cost will be higher!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The TLD A2 is probably the most stylish/cool helmet in my opinion. Different helmet shapes suit different people, they are all fairly, bulky, they have to be to fit in the safety tech, but I have found some make me look like a wily, and others a supermodel :cool:. Given Covid had to try lots out right now though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry, I rarely ever wear a helmet so can't really advise you on the latest sizing or non fungi shapes available but do feel qualified to advise you on colours for your next big fat polystyrene hat...

my-favorite-colors-are-black-dark-black-pitch-black-pastel-13751838.png

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I wear/use a bell super 2r an have the chin bar as well. A helmet is a personal thing as in we all have different shape heads not so easy at the mo but go to a shop an plonk as meany on ur head a see which 1 fit best.(not at the same time) it’s all about the fit. Chuck price etc out the window if it don’t fit properly u may as well not wear 1.
Gary it was only up until 3-4yr ago I started wearing 1 as a kid no one did or Ud have the piss taken.
I ride motorbikes as well an have found that 1 brand of helmet fits better than the others. It does suck payin 550 for a lid

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary it was only up until 3-4yr ago I started wearing 1 as a kid no one did or Ud have the piss taken.
Yeah, bike helmets weren't even a thing when I was a kid.
I do actually have a few helmets, 2 TLD full faces I use if riding uplifted DH or occasionally with a gopro (chinmount) on the emtb and 3 normal mtb helmets. None are current year models tho so useless to advise on..
For local mtb, jumping, road riding and commuting I don't bother wearing one at all, for Enduro I'll take a normal helmet and carry it on the climbs to wear on the descents.
Haven't worn a helmet in months now can't see me doing so until the covid-19 riding/travel restrictions are lifted.
I just don't like them.
and I actually enjoy having the piss taken ;)

pushbike helmets are all different shapes too and you'll even find different models from the same brand that don't all fit quite the same. So the best way to choose is to go to a well stocked shop and try as many on as you can... not really an option just now though sadly.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
What is the smallest peaked mtb helmet that doesn’t look like my head is a fucking mushroom?!
In all fairness to the industry, it has taken them long enough to get rid of the dorky, pointy, teardrop, air-venty, B-grade sci-fi movie shapes that the roadies have imposed on helmet design for decades. So now, here we all are - finally with MTB specific helmet shapes, admittedly made somewhat plump by the new MIPS safety brain protection tech - and yet, we still look like d*ckheads. :ROFLMAO:

Someone did subtly suggest that black makes everything look smaller... and staring at something too much could make anything look bigger than it really is. (y)

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Yeah, bike helmets weren't even a thing when I was a kid.
I do actually have a few helmets, 2 TLD full faces I use if riding uplifted DH or occasionally with a gopro (chinmount) on the emtb and 3 normal mtb helmets. None are current year models tho so useless to advise on..
For local mtb, jumping, road riding and commuting I don't bother wearing one at all, for Enduro I'll take a normal helmet and carry it on the climbs to wear on the descents.
Haven't worn a helmet in months now can't see me doing so until the covid-19 riding/travel restrictions are lifted.
I just don't like them.
and I actually enjoy having the piss taken ;)

pushbike helmets are all different shapes too and you'll even find different models from the same brand that don't all fit quite the same. So the best way to choose is to go to a well stocked shop and try as many on as you can... not really an option just now though sadly.

It strange I don’t mind a wearing bike motorbike lids but I’ve never been a fan of mtb lid until a few years ago my mate wanted to do Bike park wales an I had to wear a lid, I went to a shop with a big selection, started at the top an made my way to the bottom tried all the mtb lids an bought the best fit, found it comfy an now wear it all the time lol.
Yeah head shape is strange the bell super with mips did not fit right but the normal 1 is what I bought

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Fox flux looks ok
Fox comp full face looks cool as hell,unfortunately I dont
Motorbike lid shoei x spirit 3...the business
Or my shoei gt air for touring

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
... I went to a shop with a big selection, started at the top an made my way to the bottom tried all the mtb lids an bought the best fit, found it comfy an now wear it all the time lol.
Yes, FITMENT is paramount - which is why it's hit and miss when buying helmets on-line unless you've already tried one you've decided on. So going to an LBS is a must, but not possible while on lockdown, so...

Usually, if it fits right - it will look right, because it would compliment the shape of one's head - which vary greatly from person to person.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
To the OP, the thing I took from your post was that you seem to be worried what you look like with a helmet on. Why?

When it's on your head you can't see it, it's just there to protect you when you're riding your bike. Do you think anyone else cares what you look like?

I have 2 helmets; a Planet x /On one enduro style, which if flipping great for the money (and I got it free from a friend as it didn't fit his head). It really is great, comfy and has nice padding. Might be a POC style knockoff.

I also have a Smiths Forefront 2, got it in Feb. Its lighter, is more adjustable and possibly looks better, but is it worth £100 more than the Planet x one?

Don't think so tbh. But what I find, whatever helmet I'm wearing, I tend to forget it after a very short while.... Until I hit that overhanging branch that was lower than expected.

Most normal mtb helmet follow similar design cues, so maybe step back from what you think you look like with one on your head and choose something that protects your head.

Now, I'm not a fucking fuddy duddy, and I know "style" is important, but get a grip.

Also, what's wrong with mushrooms? I fucking love them....

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Someone did subtly suggest that black makes everything look smaller... and staring at something too much could make anything look bigger than it really is. (y)

Meh - I dressed in black lycra the other day and looked like a frigging inner-tube when you over pressurise it when not being constrained by a tire.

Errol1098

Jul 8, 2018
Sydney Australia
In Australia you have to wear one by law so I have a Fox Dropframe Pro for tootling around as I may as well have something with protection if i have to wear one, then I have a Rampage Carbon Pro for when I'm having a go. Funny thing is I really dislike the fit of Fox on MX helmets but I really like the fit of their MTB helmets. I'm my humble opinion other than the full face ones they all look a bit dorky and the FF ones look like overkill if your tootling about
1589770803024.png

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Thanks guys, some good recommendations on here. I wouldn’t go full face, as I wear one on the motorbike, so like the freedom of open face on the mtb.

I bought a Giro Montaro MIPS which arrived yesterday, and still didn’t look right, hence the thread. I’ll have a play with it, but it doesn’t seem to cover the back of my head very well, but that might just need some tweaking.

It’s annoying that the shops are closed, and I can’t just go in and try a few on, as there are some pretty cool looking helmets out there.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks guys, some good recommendations on here. I wouldn’t go full face, as I wear one on the motorbike, so like the freedom of open face on the mtb.

I bought a Giro Montaro MIPS which arrived yesterday, and still didn’t look right, hence the thread. I’ll have a play with it, but it doesn’t seem to cover the back of my head very well, but that might just need some tweaking.

It’s annoying that the shops are closed, and I can’t just go in and try a few on, as there are some pretty cool looking helmets out there.

Is the helmet positioned correctly? Most helmets, when put on correctly, the front doesn't sit just above your eyebrows but further up the forehead - if the retaining mechanism is adjusted correctly for your head the bottom of it at the rear should sit below the "bump" at the back of your head. Random pic off the internet to demonstrate. If the helmet is positioned correctly, but drops down quite far on your forehead so that it hits your glasses, which means it will be annoying when riding as it will hit your glasses when riding, then its probably not the right fit helmet or too big. Conversely if wearing goggles you want a nice snug fit between the top of the goggles and the helmet.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 08.45.00.png

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Is the helmet positioned correctly? Most helmets, when put on correctly, the front doesn't sit just above your eyebrows but further up the forehead - if the retaining mechanism is adjusted correctly for your head the bottom of it at the rear should sit below the "bump" at the back of your head. Random pic off the internet to demonstrate. If the helmet is positioned correctly, but drops down quite far on your forehead so that it hits your glasses, which means it will be annoying when riding as it will hit your glasses when riding, then its probably not the right fit helmet or too big. Conversely if wearing goggles you want a nice snug fit between the top of the goggles and the helmet.

View attachment 31447

Thanks, that’s handy to know. Thats the benefit of this place, while the shops are shut, as they’d have told me that!

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand

I tried the Montaro and didn't like it, wife has it now, my Bell super dh is good but really hot....recently got a Giro Fixture, its cheap but has mips, really light and really well vented and has a low profile compared to others. Was sceptical about a one size fits all as I wear a small normally but it fits perfect, best fitting helmet I've tried.

Last edited:

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester

I’ve seen some while out and about that look barely bigger than a baseball cap, and quite stylish, so what do you lot use, as I’m fed up going to the post office and sending helmets back?

Have a look on UKGSER, loads of info on there and they love emtb’s :LOL::LOL:

specialized tactic for me.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Giro Tyrant is a similar design to the Fox dropframe - it's halfway between full face and skid lid.
It's retro looking and is not to everyones taste but mushroom shaped it is not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles