Helmets that don’t make your head look like a mushroom

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
What is the smallest peaked mtb helmet that doesn’t look like my head is a fucking mushroom?!

I’ve seen some while out and about that look barely bigger than a baseball cap, and quite stylish, so what do you lot use, as I’m fed up going to the post office and sending helmets back?
I've worn Troy Lee Design lids for 9 years, I use the Stage for Enduro and the A2 for general trail, both have MIPS, both have great colour options and both look the nuts, Mushrooms they're not, Merlin Cycles always have offers on.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Bell super air R, brilliant lid, plenty of air flow when it’s hot and you hardly know you’ve got one on it’s so light, and when it’s really hot the padding wicks away sweat and channels it to the brow bar where it’s expelled with a quick push on the lid front

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’ve ordered a Smith MIPS lid & it arrived today. A quality bit of kit. Thanks folks.
I have a forefront 2 which I bought after a bad concussion episode last year. Wanted something with a crumple zone. Been really pleased with it so far. Seems to "run cooler" with the "straws" than a traditional one with a lump of polystyrene insulation wrapped around your head.

I quite fancy replacing my existing FF helmet with something better cooled and with koroyd, I think the Endura MT500 is my only option if I go that route.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I have a forefront 2 which I bought after a bad concussion episode last year. Wanted something with a crumple zone. Been really pleased with it so far. Seems to "run cooler" with the "straws" than a traditional one with a lump of polystyrene insulation wrapped around your head.

I quite fancy replacing my existing FF helmet with something better cooled and with koroyd, I think the Endura MT500 is my only option if I go that route.

Yep, mine’s the Forefront. Will see how the ventilation is next week, as it’s meant to be getting warmer again.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
£137 for a hat :eek:
You're doing nothing for Scottish stereotypes ... ;):p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't talk though .. I spent a while stroking the hedgehog in my pocket (french expression of tightness) searching for a good price ..

forefront.png

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have so many motorcycle helmets its a joke - loads of old Arais like a Chris Walker rep and Phil Read that I cant bring myself to part with, boxed up in the attic.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have so many motorcycle helmets its a joke - loads of old Arais like a Chris Walker rep and Phil Read that I cant bring myself to part with, boxed up in the attic.
You know somewhere deep down inside .. if you ever go completely off the rails and start collecting heads, all the old helmets would be a fashionable and artistic way of displaying them ....

I've not touched my RX7-RR for so long it's probably turned into a new life form.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't see a great deal of difference in moto Vs cycle helmet pricing.
A plain black carbon TLD D4 is £500 and aero roadie helmets can be even more expensive (£800+) and don't even protect you very well.

Thing is price isn't necessarily the best indication of safety anyway.

Just to balance out Cabby's stereotypical Scottish tightness I have 6 "cycling hats". two of which are TLD D2s that had an RRP of around £400 each and I rarely ever even wear a helmet.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
No idea about cycling helmets,which safety wise look poor at best,but for motorcycle helmets I go off sharp ratings...was going to but the rpha11 but with a 3/5 I give it a miss...my heads pretty important to me,not so much to the mrs mind you

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No idea about cycling helmets,which safety wise look poor at best,but for motorcycle helmets I go off sharp ratings...was going to but the rpha11 but with a 3/5 I give it a miss...my heads pretty important to me,not so much to the mrs mind you
Cycle helmets are only tested to impacts of 14mph
Yes. pretty useless.
And just one of the reasons I rarely bother wearing one at all.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
you mean Condoms obviously.

I'm piss poor at wearing those too
You know they're not for that don't you ? Instead of trying to save money all the time, maybe buy the right product for the job, try searching google for "colostomy bag", it keep things a lot tidier for you.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I actually think that outside of a full face, decent skate/dj style helmets are safer than the vast majority of fancy bike helmets, simply because of coverage, they have proper hard shells and dont have loads of holes in em. Its also dead easy to damage most helmets by dropping them, or without realising.

I used to ride around London every day, and no way I would wear a road helmet, hitting a curb in a light weight piece of foam, mips or not, no thanks. My good old Protec was my go to for commuting.

I have a couple of Fox Drop frames that I mainly use now, I really like the extended coverage, most of the crashes I have had involve hitting the side of my head, and the the wrap down design of the pro frame means the helmet aint moving. Had a big off in one last year, and if I hadn't have had the earflaps or whatever you call them, it would have been a head injury on top of a fecked hip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles