Levo Gen 2 have brose fixed the motor issues yet ?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I did over 4,500 miles a year on my analogue bike. I think I can expect to double that on the E Bike. If the motors are going to need replacing after as little as 1000 miles then I'm going to be claiming some serious money's worth of kit from this warranty!

I have heard someone else claim he's had £11,000 worth out of his warranty.

Currently standing at 700 miles with no problems with the exception of walk mode not delivering smooth power delivery (often un responsive and jerky at delivering power once it eventually kicks in) anyone know what is casuing this ?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Currently standing at 700 miles with no problems with the exception of walk mode not delivering smooth power delivery (often un responsive and jerky at delivering power once it eventually kicks in) anyone know what is casuing this ?
I was told that walk mode won't engage unless the motor sees some resistance. I've gotten it to engage by pulling the bike backwards. It seems to work best when I make the bike drag me along. If I just walk next to the bike without trying to hold it back, the assistance cuts off.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I did over 4,500 miles a year on my analogue bike. I think I can expect to double that on the E Bike. If the motors are going to need replacing after as little as 1000 miles then I'm going to be claiming some serious money's worth of kit from this warranty!

I have heard someone else claim he's had £11,000 worth out of his warranty.

Over the past 10 years I’ve covered hundreds of thousands of kilometres on electric bikes both mid drive and hub motor. At some point I realised that hub motors are best for high mileage road transport and mid drives are best for recreation ie off-road.

Hub motors - direct drive type - have better acceleration with sequential gear shifts unnecessary and are more durable while emtbs handle rough terrain at the expense of durability - at least typically in my experience. Geared hub motors are much more lightweight & so don't perform as well thermally, acoustically or in terms of maximum power at the wheel & mostly require sequential gearshifts but of course are much more manoeuvrable.

So my advice - get more electric bikes :)

Of course another fantastic alternative would be a high torque, high quality super durable mid motor - maybe that’s the next Mahle motor -that seems to be pretty likely or at least wishful thinking.

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
FWIW, sometimes the timing is good. My motor was replaced a few days ago under warranty, and I have an already-paid-for 3 day trip to Mammoth Mountain (California) bike park in mid-August.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I was told that walk mode won't engage unless the motor sees some resistance. I've gotten it to engage by pulling the bike backwards. It seems to work best when I make the bike drag me along. If I just walk next to the bike without trying to hold it back, the assistance cuts off.
I was never aware of this - I just tried to hold walk mode while walking next to the bike and it kept cutting off!

Also when the bike is in a stand and I activate walk mode, power delivery is jerky at best

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Don't worry about failure until it happens. If it does...Then rest assured Specialized is on your side and don't accept a LBS saying there's no stock (in the UK anyway). I get it they don't want to shell out for a motor they don't feel they should be invoiced for and claim back but apparently Spesh have a long invoice settlement on warranty items. Why buy in 3 motors when you feel you should be provided them, or order them as required so as not to assign capital to warranty claims and claim Spesh are out of stock, and the shop is too busy to deal with the £38 Spesh give you to change the motor as there's more lucrative workshop stuff to be done. As Chris, says it's all about the long game but some LBS' are about the short term..

I guess some LBS' are being lazy, money must be tight at the moment. But it's certainly not down to Specialized's warranty stock on the Levo (at the time of writing). It's too easy to blame Spesh if said LBS can't deliver the more lucrative workshop time or capital to hold stock.

So you are saying Spesh actually subsidise the exchange of motors ?!!
I just paid 200 quid for the local Spesh shop to swap out my motor . I am not a happy man ! I have watched videos of mechanics dropping and replacing a motor in under an hour . 200 squid or $300 Australian . Seems very expensive for a job that doesn`t require special training or dedicated tools for an hours work ??

I wish I was in a position to glean money like that . But I wouldn`t sleep well .
@Specialized Rider Care

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
So you are saying Spesh actually subsidise the exchange of motors ?!!
I just paid 200 quid for the local Spesh shop to swap out my motor . I am not a happy man ! I have watched videos of mechanics dropping and replacing a motor in under an hour . 200 squid or $300 Australian . Seems very expensive for a job that doesn`t require special training or dedicated tools for an hours work ??

I wish I was in a position to glean money like that . But I wouldn`t sleep well .
@Specialized Rider Care

In my experience that is supposed to be 100% covered by the warranty....

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
The new motor will be better, it seems to have more power and it’s quieter

Yes I noticed those to details straight away .
Quieter and seems a tad more responsive . Old motor would whine at low speed high torque climbing . And run on occasionally ie stop pedaling hear the motor keep assisting with another pulse .
This motor has a July 2020 serial number . Fingers crossed .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
In my experience that is supposed to be 100% covered by the warranty....

2nd owner ?
Had to provide proof of purchase receipts . Paying for the motor exchange I was OK with . Paying 200 squid is day light robbery and they get 38 squid from Spesh . Thats $400 Australian . Nice work if you can get it !

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
2nd owner ?
Had to provide proof of purchase receipts . Paying for the motor exchange I was OK with . Paying 200 squid is day light robbery and they get 38 squid from Spesh . Thats $400 Australian . Nice work if you can get it !

They should be able to get that information from the Frame/Motor/Battery serial numbers as that's all logged with Specialized. Warranty is definitely transferrable.

That seems super steep, it's less than hours job. Was it just the motor or did they do other work as well whilst it was in? I would contact Specialized direct if it was simply the motor swap.

Last edited:

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
2nd owner ?
if your in Australia , ring Rider Support

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have owned three Levo’s ranging from 2018 to my 2020 S works. The motor on my 20 comp went out about 600 miles. Other than that I have had zero motor issues I am at now 1300 miles on my 20 S works which has the older motor in it dated Summer 19. I have no concerns because I do have a four year warranty and my dealer is now starting to stock motors. If and when it goes I will be in and out of there in one day with a new updated motor. All in all it is the best E bike by far on the market and given specialized’s ownership of this issue there is no problem in my mind looking forward.

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
Come Monday .
I tried to PM Specialized Rider Care here on this forum . Got a message saying they can`t be contacted .
Rider Support in Port Melbourne ,good crew in there ....Specialized really try to do their best.

''We have a customer support team of experts standing by to answer your questions. Click here to fill out our support form, or give us a call at 1300-743-370.

Specialized Australia
299 Williamstown Road
Port Melbourne, Victoria 3207

Hours of service: Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM''

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I paid postage on new motor and fitted myself no big deal and im not too mechanical been ok 400 miles on it now .May be quieter initially but same as last on climbs. Seems to be more resistance when i hit 15mph usually on the road. Walk assist starts slow but kicks in maybe 5 seconds later.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I paid postage on new motor and fitted myself no big deal and im not too mechanical been ok 400 miles on it now .May be quieter initially but same as last on climbs. Seems to be more resistance when i hit 15mph usually on the road. Walk assist starts slow but kicks in maybe 5 seconds later.
Fitting yourself sounds a good idea. Was your dealer some distance from you then? How did that work regarding the bike shop accepting that it was faulty, getting the motor to you and then returning the old one?
I'm at 1600 miles now (2020 Comp - from March) and all fine at the moment but winter now and starting to get some really muddy and wet rides here in Yorkshire. The last ride was constant puddles, some pretty deep so the idea that water and this bike don't mix doesn't seem entirely true, although water around the TCU obviously needs some care. However water past crankshaft seals is probably what will kill it eventually.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Fitting yourself sounds a good idea. Was your dealer some distance from you then? How did that work regarding the bike shop accepting that it was faulty, getting the motor to you and then returning the old one?
I'm at 1600 miles now (2020 Comp - from March) and all fine at the moment but winter now and starting to get some really muddy and wet rides here in Yorkshire. The last ride was constant puddles, some pretty deep so the idea that water and this bike don't mix doesn't seem entirely true, although water around the TCU obviously needs some care. However water past crankshaft seals is probably what will kill it eventually.
Yes 598 miles according to google maps. I sent broken one back posted on a Saturday and they sent new one out i got it Friday . No dealers near me that are in to ebikes to be honest and none could get a levo for me . Has turned out ok for me apart from dodgy cable that was replaced asap. Motor lasted 2600 in very wet and had ridden offroad miles loads of climbing . Dropper post sticky 3 weeks ago so away for warranty repair hopefully but have new one up one delivered last week. Enjoy.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Can you please elaborate on the date I can't make heads or tails after your instructions.
Thanks
It's like dob 20,12,1987. Think it's written different as in some countries like December 5th 2020 UK would be 5th December 2020 if you know what i mean.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The crankshaft hardening process was changed in 2020, as was the belt. The sprag bearings were not changed until late 2020 or early 2021 as far as we can make out.

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
My 2nd motor failed this week. It was manufactured in June 2020 and it lasted for 1918km. Same issue as the first one (broken belt). I ride only in Turbo and mainly in hills.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
My 2nd motor failed this week. It was manufactured in June 2020 and it lasted for 1918km. Same issue as the first one (broken belt). I ride only in Turbo and mainly in hills.
Many pedal strikes?

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
What do you mean by pedal strikes? I'm not a native speaker, but if you mean hits against rocks, etc. then there were none. But I jump a lot and ride in every conditions.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
What do you mean by pedal strikes? I'm not a native speaker, but if you mean hits against rocks, etc. then there were none. But I jump a lot and ride in every conditions.
Yes, exactly what I mean. The jumping is interesting. I have heard a few people stating this, but can't yet see why this should affect the belt? Are you sure it's the belt? Or is this what you have been told? Sprag bearing failure and belt failure can produce identical results. Sorry for all the questions, just interested.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles