Has anyone actually replaced their TCU Battery?

TurboJoe

Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
Trying to replace the TCU coin battery in my 2020 Turbo Levo SL. Per the manual and what I can find on-line, grab your non-metallic tweezers and pull. Ordered a set of plastic tweezers from Amazon but they were all too thick to fit into the TCU. Has anyone actually replaced the battery and where did you get your tweezers?

Q: How do I replace the battery in the TCU?
A: The TCU uses a 1620 coin cell battery. To replace it, carefully remove the TCU display from the frame. Use non-metallic tweezers to pull the battery out–metallic tweezers may short circuit the unit. Make sure the new battery is fully inserted.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I got the dreaded TCU battery error code today on my 2019 ff Levo. How hard can it be to change the coin cell? I don't have plastic tweezers, but I do have very delicate, and VERY pointy stainless steel surgical tweezers. But even they were too fat to grab the battery if I wanted to risk short circuiting the battery.

Cutting to the chase, I was able to simultaneously lift the retaining clip and poke the battery hard enough with the tweezer to lever it out. I would really like to speak with the product design team that approved this.

I guess the good news is that I shouldn't have to deal with this again for another 3 1/2 years. And no more error code!

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Yes, I changed mine recently after getting the error code - it only lasted 2 years !

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
Just did mine last week. Finding a non-metallic tweezers that work is a joke. I used a sharp pick and caught the edge of the battery where its sealed together and pulled it out. Also, I had to go to specialty store to get the 1620=not common

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Doing mine today after 3+ years of owning my 2020 Levo (bought in Oct 2019)

Not got any non mettalic teezers yet, will remove the TCU and see what ive got that could work instead

Got to go pick up a 1620 battery, easy to get as they are stocked by Toolstation for £1.49

GP Lithium Coin 3V CR/DL1620 | Toolstation

Bajabicli

Feb 5, 2023
Los Barriles
I just pushed down the retaining clip with the tip of a bamboo chop stick, gave the TCU a solid thump into my palm and the battery dropped right out...

philmedomsley

Apr 28, 2020
Durham
Changed mine yesterday. Used thin metallic tweezers. Slightly awkward. Bought cheap battery from Toolstation. Ordered better quality Duracel from Amazon to keep as a spare.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm wondering if mine is on way out. Not switching on with button hut switches off. Unplugging and plugging cable in before it goes on. Error im getting is this pic.

Screenshot_20230320_145749.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Probably. As far as I can see the TCU battery only enables the on/off switch. Thereafter the main battery sends 12v to the TCU for it to power up. Changing the TCU battery is simple and cheap so worth a try.
If you had a cable fault the bike would shut down when riding so I doubt you have any cable problems.

ps Ordinary tweekers can be used to extract the old battery. Just insulate the tips with some insulating tape first to avoid any risk of short circuit.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Just replaced mine following the error lights showing, easy to do, bike is 3 1/2 years old so not bad I suppose.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just replaced mine following the error lights showing, easy to do, bike is 3 1/2 years old so not bad I suppose.
Thinking of doing mine same age as yours . I need new power cable and motor to Tcu cable. Been a expensive month for Ebike , suspension service brake pistons service and rotors. Derailleur and hanger now cables. Rant over.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
How long do you get after the warning lights start showing on the TCU before its completely dead?
The lights on the TCU started this morning, but my battery won't arrive for a day or so...

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I had no luck with tweezers. I unclipped the lid and pushed the battery out from the back.
It was flashing for a while before I changed it. Was relieved it was the battery, though I had a motor error.

IMG_20230424_103707.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
just stick a bit of insulating tape on the tips of standard tweezers or even slim pointed pliers. .

essiie

Feb 29, 2024
Finland
I ended up using the metal frame from brake pads ass a tool to get the battery out from TCU and it worked nicely! Tweezers and paper clips didn´t do the trick for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles