• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Gym goers, need some advice - arm pump

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
to all you lot that hit the gym..
I have been doing 4-5 days a week for about 4-5 months now and love it, fitter, stronger etc..

one downside is that most lifting involves gripping and this involves forearms and that is causing me savage arm pump when I go riding, especially on steep tech.

is there any way around this?

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Maybe try adjusting your controls a bit. I recently started getting myself fit again and had a trip to BPW a couple of weeks ago where I suffered terrible arm pump on the first run. Simply rolling the brake levers forward a bit fixed it for me. Other options are trying different size grips, dampening grips, different bar angles and widths and even carbon bars can help as I’ve read that carbon helps dampen vibrations compared to metal. Maybe even spray some expanding foam into your bars to create your own version of spanks vibrocore system…

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
what is your front suspension and when was it last serviced? Also - are you using too much pressure in the front?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
what is your front suspension and when was it last serviced? Also - are you using too much pressure in the front?
Brand new, pressure is perfect
Are you gripping the bars too tightly?
Probably, but I still lost a hand off the bat last time at bpw

Next time I’m just gonna try breaking a lot less, for shorter time rather than dragging then which I catch myself doing so the time

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
If your bikes setup well it's probably just too much training without chance to fully recover. Should get easier with time.
I used to really struggle on long descents if I'd been climbing the day before.
Try not to deathgrip the bars. If there's an easy section of trail/fireroad mid descent I sometimes stretch my fingers out for a couple of seconds which helps a bit

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
to all you lot that hit the gym..
I have been doing 4-5 days a week for about 4-5 months now and love it, fitter, stronger etc..

one downside is that most lifting involves gripping and this involves forearms and that is causing me savage arm pump when I go riding, especially on steep tech.

is there any way around this?
Suggest going to the gym every second day so that you have a recovery day between sessions.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Make sure you're doing adequate stretching of forearms, wrists, elbows and hands. Unfortunately, fascia is hard to stretch. And maybe switch your gym routine to add more core/legs and less on the "glamour muscles".

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Make sure you're doing adequate stretching of forearms, wrists, elbows and hands. Unfortunately, fascia is hard to stretch. And maybe switch your gym routine to add more core/legs and less on the "glamour muscles".
yea its true, I do stretch but its hard to get 'in there' and feel like its making a difference, I also have a massage machine thing..
the 'glamour muscles' have definitely stopped me going OTB a couple of times where my max pressup dynamic adaptation has been tested strongly :D
even deadlifts.. they are great for all round but take a lot out of the forearm..
Suggest going to the gym every second day so that you have a recovery day between sessions.
yea, its on the cards, I have been planning to go to 3-4 days rather than 5-6, the relentless lifting takes its toll but cos im new to it, I wanted to hit it hard before chilling

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
yea, its on the cards, I have been planning to go to 3-4 days rather than 5-6, the relentless lifting takes its toll but cos im new to it, I wanted to hit it hard before chilling
I think when you get to our age, you need more recovery time (I'm talking gym). Once every two days is more than enough for what you're doing. You won't make more gains being more frequent, you're just not letting your body recover between.

Presumably you're doing a split if you're doing 5/6 week, but even then, there's only so much your body can do now that you're not in your 20's or 30's or even 40's ..

Just eat well, and focus on core exercises so you don't waste loads of time doing dumb sh1t which is just tiring you (Sam can do it). Eat well and watch your carbs.

Lots of sex. You live in Wales, to not have a sheep looks suspicious ! o_O :p

Ignoring the line above, there's a good chance your arms just haven't recovered between gym and ride.

I was getting hand cramps the other day. A combination of unknown trails, hot, not enough water. It wasn't DH megafun, but we all work harder and flow less on the unknown.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree with many of the a bove comments...................you gym routine is ill advised!! Probably on 2 counts
Firstly for almost all sports you mostly need lean and flexible muscle.................not muscle build. Muscle build may look impressive but it comes at the expense of flexibility. Get some advise on you gym routine.
Secondly, the majority of gains from exercise of any kind, including gym routines, happens when you rest...not when you are doing the exercise. 4/5 days a week is far too much. When you go weights of any kind you incur muscle tissue damage. It then needs time to regenerate. 3 sessions a week would be more than enough especially if you also adding one or 2 rides to that routine per week.
It is also the case that your recovery time between any form of exercise extends with age. Your son can do 4/5 days a week...chances are you will do more harm than good if you do the same! Sad but true!!

Reactions: Zed

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Learn to ride with your grips literally banging around inside your hands. You should be sitting back off your hands and turning with your feet and hips. You should be doing as little as possible, controlling the bike, with your arms and your hands. When you learn how to do that your arm pump will go away. It has very little to do with that fact that you work out with weights. You’ll also find out that you’ll be fitting the bike less and it will handle better.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Learn to ride with your grips literally banging around inside your hands. You should be sitting back off your hands and turning with your feet and hips. You should be doing as little as possible, controlling the bike, with your arms and your hands. When you learn how to do that your arm pump will go away. It has very little to do with that fact that you work out with weights. You’ll also find out that you’ll be fitting the bike less and it will handle better.
I know what you are saying here although someone reading this might have a terrible accident after taking the advice :D
Im already fairly 'light fingered' on the bars to the point where i lost a hand off the grip last time at bikepark Wales, not a pleasant expereince :D
happens just after vid starts

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I know what you are saying here although someone reading this might have a terrible accident after taking the advice :D
Im already fairly 'light fingered' on the bars to the point where i lost a hand off the grip last time at bikepark Wales, not a pleasant expereince :D
Know what you mean I wouldn't advise been there myself. Might even get sued for wrong advice in this day and age . Enjoy

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire

Watching that, I'd be tempted to try and drop your lever angle slightly, and possibly move them slightly closer to the grips.
It looks like you might be dropping your elbows to compensate for the lever angle?

It also looks like your fully extending your braking finger, if you can bring the lever closer to the bars you will take some load off your forearms

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I would really have thought exercises like heavy deadlifts would be excellent for forearm pump. I do deadlifts with both hands pronated to mimic the bars. Myself I found 35mm bars knackered my forearms on long descents. Looks like you're using 31mm in the video anyway though.

I would also say good tacky grips and gloves but looks like you got that covered too.

Are you doing exercises that have a lot of grip demand on too many days maybe?

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I would really have thought exercises like heavy deadlifts would be excellent for forearm pump. I do deadlifts with both hands pronated to mimic the bars. Myself I found 35mm bars knackered my forearms on long descents. Looks like you're using 31mm in the video anyway though.

I would also say good tacky grips and gloves but looks like you got that covered too.

It’s a myth that heavy weight training causes arm pump. It neither causes it nor makes it better.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Probably relative to the amount of cycling and type you do. Also personal physique and if you are a manual worker or office worker that has to play a part I would think . I used to get itchy forearms after a really fast downhill I use regularly , not so bad with front forks . Get out there

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Watching that, I'd be tempted to try and drop your lever angle slightly, and possibly move them slightly closer to the grips.
It looks like you might be dropping your elbows to compensate for the lever angle?

It also looks like your fully extending your braking finger, if you can bring the lever closer to the bars you will take some load off your forearms
yep im gonna try that, cheers.

probably too many days so ive pulled it back to three days now..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles