• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Rockshox Deluxe air valve jammed by pump

daddyo

Sep 15, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
Hey folks, hello from the Czech Republic. Testriding a brand new Focus Sam2 this weekend. Great ride but after 20 km terrible creaking coming from what seemed to be the rear shock. So rode back, it really got extremely annoying, could not find anything but decided to check sag anyway. It was a little too much so got my shock pump and the whole end got jammed inside the air valve of the Rockshox Deluxe R and in the end broke off. Picture attached. So shock, horror first and now looking and hoping for a solution. Any clever person here knows whether this is terminal or is there a way to save a brand new shock ? Thank you for your tips and help.
IMG_0706.jpg

daddyo

Sep 15, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
I need more information. Every shock pump connector I have seen screws onto the outside of the shock's air valve. How did you get something stuck inside the air valve?
I screwed the pump onto the shock and I couldnt unscrew it. It just jammed inside and then it broke off. Can't believe it myself... The shock is a Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair but seems to be a maybe a special made for Focus. All that I googled looks different under that name.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what's stuck inside the valve?

it's just a schraeder valve. The valve core is removable. it unscrews anti-clockwise with a valve removal tool. (or carefully with long nose pliers)
remove it and fit a new core

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the same shock on my Focus Jam2, the Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair, and the shock pump definitely screws onto the outside of the valve. As @Gary said it's just a Schraeder valve inside there and I'm sure that nothing else is supposed to screw into it.

Removing whatever you have screwed in and broken off could be tricky.

daddyo

Sep 15, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
Yes indeed, it really is very very difficult. We tried removing it with various tools but it just won't move at all. The bit that is stuck inside , remnants of the pump is very brittle and can't be moved. I am afraid it won't come out at all. I really hope that the shock can be repaired rather than replaced with a new one. That would be a bit of a nightmare two days after purchase.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles