• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Sealant leaking from valve core

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
On my Decoy shred, I have Rimpact valves and inserts. On the front wheel, whenever I open the valve to check pressure, if I press the presta "button" (you know what I mean) sealant will leak out. After a couple of seconds, this then clogs the valve and makes it impossible to use the pressure gauge. I can pump the tyre up no problem. I've never experienced this on any other wheel. Does any have any idea as to why this might have happened? I did inject sealant through the valve (with core removed obviously) when setting up, but I always do this and I've never had this issue before.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
remove the valve core and clean it.............or replace it. I change mine 2 or 3 times a year and keep a few in my waist pack.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
On my Decoy shred, I have Rimpact valves and inserts. On the front wheel, whenever I open the valve to check pressure, if I press the presta "button" (you know what I mean) sealant will leak out. After a couple of seconds, this then clogs the valve and makes it impossible to use the pressure gauge. I can pump the tyre up no problem. I've never experienced this on any other wheel. Does any have any idea as to why this might have happened? I did inject sealant through the valve (with core removed obviously) when setting up, but I always do this and I've never had this issue before.
The sealant is probably trapped in that area due to injecting the sealant. The Rimpact foam is probably tight against the rim and walls of the tyre and won't let the the sealant flow around inside the whole tyre. Try removing the wheel from the bike and bouncing it vigorously as you also spin it.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Solved! Where the rimpact was sitting on the head of the valve, it had actually indented to shape so much that the insert was then covering the holes on the side of the valve, stopping the air from coming out. I can only guess the sealant was the stuff that had been adsorbed by the rimpact. Anyway. rotated the insert round and it now seems happy. Very weird!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The sealant is probably trapped in that area due to injecting the sealant. The Rimpact foam is probably tight against the rim and walls of the tyre and won't let the the sealant flow around inside the whole tyre. Try removing the wheel from the bike and bouncing it vigorously as you also spin it.
good point... I missed the fact the OP was using tyre inserts. Probably not a good idea to use the valve as the means of adding sealant in that case. So leaving a section of tyre bead open and adding sealant that way would allow the sealnat to migrate a round the wheel. Top ups would need to be done the same way.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
good point... I missed the fact the OP was using tyre inserts. Probably not a good idea to use the valve as the means of adding sealant in that case. So leaving a section of tyre bead open and adding sealant that way would allow the sealnat to migrate a round the wheel. Top ups would need to be done the same way.
I've done dozens of tyres this way with no issues.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've done dozens of tyres this way with no issues.

I injected sealant through the valve when putting in a Rimpact insert and the sealant ended up squirting back out when I took the syringe off. There was nowhere for it to go due to the tight fitting of the Rimpact foam. Rimpact themselves recommend that it's poured in.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles