• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Cush Core Pro worth the money

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Hi All,

I got a hole in my tire today which ended my ride and had to push bike about 7km . My CO2 pumped it up, but was flat in seconds

I Took to bike shop as could not figure out where the air was coming out. I asked them why did my tubeless sealant not fill the hole, probably because you have had not top up the sealant, oops in over 6 month did not realise had to do this.

Any Way they surgested imput some Cush Core Pro in my tyres as I am 113kg with all riding gear plus weight of e bike I run pretty low pressure.

They got me at a weak point after pushing the bike so far that could have ridden back to the car along fire road no problem.

Anyone used and recommend them ?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
They add weight.
They add damping to the tire.
They save the rim if you run at the same pressure.
I like the support and feel they give to tire and if you charge hard rocky lines they are more than worth it.
On my normal trials I don't really need them, but I like them. For park days like today they are indispensable.

Summing it up. Heavy and nice.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hi All,

I got a hole in my tire today which ended my ride and had to push bike about 7km . My CO2 pumped it up, but was flat in seconds

I Took to bike shop as could not figure out where the air was coming out. I asked them why did my tubeless sealant not fill the hole, probably because you have had not top up the sealant, oops in over 6 month did not realise had to do this.

Any Way they surgested imput some Cush Core Pro in my tyres as I am 113kg with all riding gear plus weight of e bike I run pretty low pressure.

They got me at a weak point after pushing the bike so far that could have ridden back to the car along fire road no problem.

If your tire did not seal with sealant you thought you had in the tire, you either didn't have enough sealant in the tire or the hole was too big and you needed bacon strips. Always carry bacon strips! You should have been able see or hear the air/CO2 coming out of your tire if the leak was that bad! You don't carry a spare tube?
bacon.jpg

There are countless threads on the benefits of Cushcore, which was not your problem here. I personally use Cushcore on all of my wheels but NOT so I can ride out if I get a flat. Your tire is going to get trashed, especially if its a thin walled tire (EXO). You would only want to use Cushcore if you feel you need the benefits it lists on their website. Maybe you got upsold (then again, 113 Kg with low tire pressure [how low?] is asking for trouble where I ride) but at least you learned a valuable lesson. Maintain your bike! You probably won't even notice the Cushcore in your wheel until you have to change the tire ;).
CushCore PRO Set - Cushcore

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I'd say if you do a lot of park or enduro riding it's worth it.

I run cushcore in both front and rear tires and at the beginning I thought it felt like the bike was understeering a bit but it was just a matter of habit.

Aug 25, 2022
NorCal
Hi All,

It's a matter of taste but I love them. Gives me more stability and confidence on fast turns (especially off camber). They're heavy (and different). With a 95k old guy, hydration pack, a few tools, Maxis Asg's, on a Turbo Levo I'm rolling around 275kg steaming down long steep descents and turns. I find that I can (and really have to) lower the pressure by at least 5 psi front and back, but when I do the traction and sidewall support is amazing. Feels different though (stiffer/heavier feel). Might not be a good fit for a lighter rider who who wants that light/fast/nimble feel. Also, I usually ride alone way out there so it's nice to have the peace of mind to not worry so much about flat/low tires. Currently running +/- 20psi up front and +/- 25psi in back. That would be too low at my weight without the cush cores.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
It's a matter of taste but I love them. Gives me more stability and confidence on fast turns (especially off camber). They're heavy (and different). With a 95k old guy, hydration pack, a few tools, Maxis Asg's, on a Turbo Levo I'm rolling around 275kg steaming down long steep descents and turns. I find that I can (and really have to) lower the pressure by at least 5 psi front and back, but when I do the traction and sidewall support is amazing. Feels different though (stiffer/heavier feel). Might not be a good fit for a lighter rider who who wants that light/fast/nimble feel. Also, I usually ride alone way out there so it's nice to have the peace of mind to not worry so much about flat/low tires. Currently running +/- 20psi up front and +/- 25psi in back. That would be too low at my weight without the cush cores.
There is no way your rolling weight is 275kg!! 😂

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
@Ian986 Have you noticed any difference using Cushcore? Have you had to change a tire since you installed the Cushcore? Has your question not been answered in the first two posts?
I thought is felt slightly smoother ride when I ride the bike first time but rest tyre was changed so could have been that.

I don’t think I can feel the difference if I am honest.

I did set my fastest time on Strava first time I went out on them so not sure if was that or new tyre of just been so dry here trails where running faster

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I thought is felt slightly smoother ride when I ride the bike first time but rest tyre was changed so could have been that.

I did set my fastest time on Strava first time I went out on them so not sure if was that or new tyre of just been so dry here trails where running faster
So, if I understand you correctly, you do not think Cushcore was worth it for you? As I mentioned in my original post, to repair a flat that does not seal with only sealant, I use bacon strips. Do you think that is more of what you were looking for? Finally, be warned, its going to be difficult for you to get the tire off with the Cushcore in it when the time comes to replace it! Its not to impossible if you take your time and watch the video.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

It was somewhat the same feeling I had when I first ride after I had put in my cushcore pro.

It didn't feel like it went that fast, but then when I got home, strava showed that I had faster times than usual.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
A mate of mine came to Dalby - did the full red route, got back to my van and we realised his rear tyre was completely flat - 0 psi in it
He'd ridden half the park without even noticing, because he has a cushcore in

No damage to tyre (maxxis DHR II), no damage to wheel, pumped up and all was fine
I think they're pretty good, but as said do add weight and cost a lot! It also took his LBS half a day to fit the rear tyre, they said it was a complete shit show to do because the insert doesn't let the tyre drop down into the well properly.

I don't run them because when I bought my hope wheels I didn't really want to spend another £100+ on inserts but if I get bored over winter I probably will fit a pair

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
A mate of mine came to Dalby - did the full red route, got back to my van and we realised his rear tyre was completely flat - 0 psi in it
He'd ridden half the park without even noticing, because he has a cushcore in

No damage to tyre (maxxis DHR II), no damage to wheel, pumped up and all was fine
I think they're pretty good, but as said do add weight and cost a lot! It also took his LBS half a day to fit the rear tyre, they said it was a complete shit show to do because the insert doesn't let the tyre drop down into the well properly.

I don't run them because when I bought my hope wheels I didn't really want to spend another £100+ on inserts but if I get bored over winter I probably will fit a pair

Oh my... that LBS should watch a video on how to install Cushcore! I have only installed them on DT Swiss 511 rims, which have a 30mm internal width, but after you do it a few times, you can get Cushcore installed with a decent tire (I have installed DHR II and Assagai EXO+, DD and even a DH) in under 15 minutes.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Oh my... that LBS should watch a video on how to install Cushcore! I have only installed them on DT Swiss 511 rims, which have a 30mm internal width, but after you do it a few times, you can get Cushcore installed with a decent tire (I have installed DHR II and Assagai EXO+, DD and even a DH) in under 15 minutes.

I have to say I think the issue is he's running a 2.8 on the back with a 30mm wheel... which is "pushing it" haha
They said it took 4 guys in the shop to get the thing on!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have to say I think the issue is he's running a 2.8 on the back with a 30mm wheel... which is "pushing it" haha
They said it took 4 guys in the shop to get the thing on!
Depending on the tire (EXO, EXO+), I guess it would fit but getting a 35mm internal rim would make life so much easier for him in the future. Wait until he has to get it off!!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles