Gps units

Pike

May 26, 2019
cocothecat12
Looking for advice on a gps unit to purchase for off road mtb riding, mainly in the U.K.

Main points I'd like are;

To be able to see the map on the unit with waypoint/direction markers
Not just a tracking device
Good battery life for full day riding
Robust as possible
Reasonably priced

Does anyone ride with one and actually use it as a directional navigation unit instead of map and compass?

Many thanks in advance

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Wahoo Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt. The mapping is not quite as clear as a colour Garmin, but if riding a route there are plenty of directional cues and they have much better battery life and (unlike Garmin which are often buggy) never seem to miss a beat.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use Komoot on my phone. No need to buy a gps device and if you buy the region map you are riding in the phone does not need internet access.

Pike

May 26, 2019
cocothecat12
Ok, I’ve found something called streetmaps also, that appears to do a similar thing, my only worry is phone signal in areas such as Derbyshire or in the depths of Wales where there no signal at all, hence the gps ides

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I just did a 24 mile ride over the Brecon Beacons using Komoot to navigate. I bought /downloaded S Powys region. Before we started I selected Komoot on my phone where I had internet access, selected the route I wanted to navigate.....the map appears....then I turned mobile data off and pressed " navigate". Komoot then gave me voice instructions throughout the tour....no wifi or internet access required. Komoot makes the screen sleep to save phone battery....waking it up to show the map only when giving a voice instruction....or you can manually wake the screen if you need to check the map or see how far/ how fast you have ridden up to that point. When you finish the ride you just tell it to stop and save. The saved tour can then be analysed and shared.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles