GPS navigation

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've just treated myself to a Garmin Edge Explore GPS device, it should be arriving tomorrow:). I understand that Garmin have an app that allows you to plan routes but I suspect that it will be very USA orientated. Is there anything else? Trailforks is OK for trail centres but I'm looking for something more navigation focused. I've also looked at Komoot but it has some very serious shortcomings. When I try to plan a route in my local area it sends me in stupid, illogical directions e.g. up a bridleway that I know is very rough, because of horse traffic, and will not let me route up another one just a mile further on. It keeps flipping back to the trail it wants. I know this because of local knowledge but if it is like this in locations I am not familiar with I would consider it worse than useless.

Thanks.

Al

Last edited:

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
I've just treated myself to a Garmin Edge Explore GPS device, it should be arriving tomorrow:). I understand that Garmin have an app that allows you to plan routes but I suspect that it will be very USA orientated. Is there anything else? Trailforks is OK for trail centres but I'm looking for something more navigation focused. I've also looked at Komoot but it has some very serious shortcomings. When I try to plan a route in my local area it sends me in stupid, illogical directions e.g. up a bridleway that I know is very rough, because of horse traffic, and will not let me route up another one just a mile further on. It keeps flipping back to the trail it wants. I know this because of local knowledge but if it is like this in locations I am not familiar with I would consider it worse than useless.

Thanks.

Al

I got one of these recently and it’s good provided you set it up properly. I would turn off the beeps, auto-recalculation etc as that’s a bit annoying. You can install widgets like Komoot which I have used and is great. Also use Trailforks as that’s much better at finding trails.

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
I think on Komoot you need to set way points if there is a specific route you want, I haven’t used it loads but I know what you mean about the route it decides to take you on is sometimes illogical. Like constantly putting you on roads when there is a perfectly good cycle way.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I set the waypoints, lots of them, but the line just flicks back to where Komoot wants me to go and sometimes forms a closed loop.

Al

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

Thanks.

Al
"
I have a Garmin Edge 520 plus and have used both the "Garmin Connect" phone app and the "Garmin Express" PC app to create routes.

It is easier on the PC due to the larger screen size.

It is easy to download your route to your Garmin device from both PC and phone.

What do you mean by "I suspect that it will be very USA orientated"? It is orientated to whichever maps you have loaded on it.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I didn't mean in any major way but you often find things like spelling and phraseology are American rather than UK English. Updates will appear for the USA well before the UK etc. etc. Presentations, videos and advertising will be very USA focused.

Al

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I didn't mean in any major way but you often find things like spelling and phraseology are American rather than UK English. Updates will appear for the USA well before the UK etc. etc. Presentations, videos and advertising will be very USA focused.

Al
I had not even thought about that until I read your post, so if it is USA orientated it is so mild that it does not stand out.

levindown

Jun 11, 2020
Chichester
Have a look at OSMaps (OS Maps - online and App mapping system | Ordnance Survey Shop) from Ordnance Survey. It’s about £20 a year and gives you access to all OS maps (both scales). The route planning is very good. I plan and draw out a route on my desktop, which can then be opened on an app on your phone on a handlebar mount and you can follow the route using that: you get notification alerts if you dare stray from your route! You can download the “map” on WiFi at home so you don’t have to use your data allowance or risk being out of signal.

Routes can be private or public, so you can also find ones that others have created. You get an elevation profile, and distance and ascent/descent stats before you ride it. There is a way to record your ride, but I have never bothered with that. Do try the Fly Through feature for your routes; it’s impressive, at least for the first few times.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles