GPS Trials Tribulations and Sucess !!

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
My traumas with my Garmin 1030 have been well documented on here so on Sunday I try riding a new trail using my newly acquired Wahoo Elemnt Roam due to poor route indication I went off route at the beginning and was asked if I d like to be redirected, Yes Please so I followed directions that were supposed to put me back on course, the unit indicated that I was 3 miles from the course and counted down to on one occasion as little as 30 feet to the course then the arrows would end and a distance of 3 miles to course would come up this would wind down to a few feet then suddenly the unit would say 1.7 miles to course this went on for 20 miles when I gave up chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and decided the Roam was about as useful as an ashtray fixed to my handlebars so I stopped and asked directions for the 7-mile trip back to the van.
So today thought Id try Komoot, Id avoided it and Viewfinder before because Id rather use a GPS than my phone, I carry a camera with me because I'd rather use that than my phone, anyway downloaded a GPX onto Komoot and downloaded Komoot onto my phone very easy to use, even for an aged Techo doughnut like me directions were very clear aided by spoken directions Brilliant to use only one small issue Kommot slightly altered the GPX to take me off a Byway and onto a short footpath which wouldn't have been a problem had the footpath not been gated at each end with those semi-circular caged gated that you have to upend the bike and walk it through on the back wheel anyway delighted with Komoot knocked Garmin and Wahoo into a cocked hat, will return my Garmin and Wahoo to where I purchased them from.

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
You can and onto Wahoo I've done this and struggled with the Garmin and the Wahoo the directions are much clearer and easier to follow using Komoot on your phone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles