GoPro handlebar mounting

ShinySideUp

Jun 4, 2022
UK
I think I need to use a Go Pro on my bike for the same reasons as I have a dashcam in my van. I have tried using a helmet mount and while from a safety point of view it's a good idea I just can't get over looking like a bloody Teletubby. If I mount the camera on the handle bars will the resulting video be useless because of vibration? I'd try it out but Go Pro handlebar mounts are quite an expensive layout for an experiment, has anyone done it already.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
I have mine mounted on a head strap under the visor of my full face, its where my forehead would be, basically. vibration is fine, bit of wind noise now and then.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Bar mounts produce average outcomes. If you really can't live with a head mount then use a chest mount. Notwithstanding no one will care what you look like with a head mounted camera.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
The image stabilisation on the newer cameras is that good that you could just mount it to the bars.
I've seen some of the DH racers use them when they aren't allowed a helmet cam and the footage is pretty impressive.

7:25 into this video for an idea

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Chin, Chest, visor, Top of lid, bars in that order.
I've even mounted them on the frame and Seatpost. Under the saddle is good if you don't mind legs going up and down and you can see the suspension moving but straight on the bars is hard to get decent footage unless you have good stabilization.
used a bit of everything on this one.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Best one I ever saw was a Brendan Fairclough video with the gopro mounted to the fork lower. That was cool.

ShinySideUp

Jun 4, 2022
UK
Looks like I might have to look like a Teletubby after all then because a chest strap is too much trouble as it is only there to function as a 'dashcam' in the event of an accident and I don't use a visor or a chin piece. In future I shall call myself Laa Laa.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Looks like I might have to look like a Teletubby after all then because a chest strap is too much trouble as it is only there to function as a 'dashcam' in the event of an accident and I don't use a visor or a chin piece. In future I shall call myself Laa Laa.
you could get a rucksack strap clamp, like this one, there a few different variations on the idea, I think.

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
Anybody got a link for the helmet strap type that sits under the sun visor on the helmet? I can only seem to find chin mounts or straps that go over the helmet so the mount is on top. I have the Bell Super 3 with detachable chin piece so a mount under the sun visor would work with or without the chin piece

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Anybody got a link for the helmet strap type that sits under the sun visor on the helmet? I can only seem to find chin mounts or straps that go over the helmet so the mount is on top. I have the Bell Super 3 with detachable chin piece so a mount under the sun visor would work with or without the chin piece

I bought this accessory kit for gopro, comes with a headstrap, i detached the middle headstap and fed it under the visor, my ixs helmet has a gap, I dunno about your helmet though.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I decided to get in on the action cam thing and just picked up and Insta360 One RS ... with the 4K lens, not the 360 one (which I can always buy later). I'm thinking of an under visor mount and I've mounted a GoPro adhesive base to the underside of the visor. It seems pretty solid, But, did I mess up? Is it really going to hold through a ride? Is there a better of mounting under a visor?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Do you have any videos of you hauling ass down a trail?
personally I think the vibrations through a bar would be hard on the internals. For the most part it’s designed to be worn.

again, chest mount is best. Helmet is second simply because adding weight to your head increases neck fatigue and just more weight to add damage to your brain if you hit your head hard.
Head cams can also be a tad annoying as where ever the rider looks, so does the camera and it surprising how often the camera is looking in the wrong direction. Chesty for the win!

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Stopped selling them years ago.

Plenty around though. Albeit they are going for fairly big money now as all the FPV boys want them for the drones. Brilliant cam, I won't stop using mine until it dies and even then I will get another if I can find one, such a great form factor.

Edit: just read the OP more carefully and saw that they seem to want a cam just for security. In that case the Bullet cam would be my first choice:

Action Cam FHD Bullet Camera (chilli-tech.com)

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
If you wear a backpack, you can get a clip that secures to one of the straps.
71JAapgxx-L._AC_SX569_.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
GoPro effect - steeper than it looks
On my Stumpy, not my Levo SL btw.

Thanks for posting your video. I find it difficult to watch as every time you turn even slightly to follow the trail, the camera/video pans. You don't get that effect with the camera on your chest or helmet as your body is not moving as much. The head cam can have a worse effect if the rider is not always looking forward (we tend to look at things that are not directly in front of us ;)) which can be edited out. The noise of the fork and wheel transferred to the camera is also distracting.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles