Gambit GoPro mount

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
So what's your thoughts on position for a GoPro, chin or under visor?? Not had one before so looking for your thoughts on position and any recommendations for a mount and the helmet in question is a Specialized Gambit

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The lower the mount the better gopro shows changes in elevation and a better impression of speed. In that respect the chesty wins. The downside with chesty is that you need to adjust its angle when you go from being seated to up on the pedals. The chin mount is best second choice. It benefits from the fact that your head is the most stable part of your body on gnarly terrain and whether seated or up on the pedals your line of sight and therefore gopro angle stays much the same. It also benefits by being able to pan..ie by turning your head. Downside is the mount is higher than the chesty...really is best with the gopro mounted upside down (makes the video button a bit more difficult to operate) and blocks access for an aquapac drinking tube if that is what you use for hydration. I use both for different types of ride. I would not contemplate a mount under the visor....dangerous in a crash, swiping branches to the side of a trail or simply the mount breaking away.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
The Fork Arch is an amazing place to mount and is way more stable than you would imagine. Never tried it without a 360 camera but very impressive and if you have some time and/or better editing skills than I do then I reckon some serious shots and footage can be had.

For me the chin mount wins for its stability and field of view as I find the chesty too far back and I'm unable to get that position I want ( don't ask what that position is lol as I'm just always left feeling disappointed with the chesty ) but I personally also like the bar mount as I again feel this gives the truest speed feel from its footage ( down side is the audio.... As my GoPro Max picks up the motor vibration/noise the most from this mount position) Lots of more choices etc with top helmet, wrist, seat post and even chainstay but it's each to their own in my opinion.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
The lower the mount the better gopro shows changes in elevation and a better impression of speed. In that respect the chesty wins. The downside with chesty is that you need to adjust its angle when you go from being seated to up on the pedals. The chin mount is best second choice. It benefits from the fact that your head is the most stable part of your body on gnarly terrain and whether seated or up on the pedals your line of sight and therefore gopro angle stays much the same. It also benefits by being able to pan..ie by turning your head. Downside is the mount is higher than the chesty...really is best with the gopro mounted upside down (makes the video button a bit more difficult to operate) and blocks access for an aquapac drinking tube if that is what you use for hydration. I use both for different types of ride. I would not contemplate a mount under the visor....dangerous in a crash, swiping branches to the side of a trail or simply the mount breaking away.
great explanation and defo steering more towards a chin mount, one thing you have pointed out which i haven't accounted for as I've never owned a full face before is hydration, hot summer rides wont be a problem as i'll use a bladder but prefer a bottle at other times, what do you do there, point and squirt???

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
The Fork Arch is an amazing place to mount and is way more stable than you would imagine. Never tried it without a 360 camera but very impressive and if you have some time and/or better editing skills than I do then I reckon some serious shots and footage can be had.

For me the chin mount wins for its stability and field of view as I find the chesty too far back and I'm unable to get that position I want ( don't ask what that position is lol as I'm just always left feeling disappointed with the chesty ) but I personally also like the bar mount as I again feel this gives the truest speed feel from its footage ( down side is the audio.... As my GoPro Max picks up the motor vibration/noise the most from this mount position) Lots of more choices etc with top helmet, wrist, seat post and even chainstay but it's each to their own in my opinion.
some great suggestions here and some which i'd like to try. Never done any video editing before but pretty good on PC's and pick things up pretty quick and got a high end PC.
Any mounting kits that people can recommend, chin mount and various for other parts of the bike, UK

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I do all my vids with chesty, I disagree that you have to adjust angle between sitting and standing but its rare that youll want to record anything while sitting in any case, you aint gonna be sending it or recording that stuff if youre sitting down.
I usually set the angle of the gopro when standing in the normal position.
the only thing that you miss out on with the chesty is the movement when you look but I found it wasnt enough footage that I was missing out on to keep using it.
this is a recent vid with me and my son both using chesty, I wish I could find the vid where I use the chin mount but I cant... if I do ill post it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
one brand of chin mount is Telesin. For a chesty mount either get the official Gopro one ( if you are a dentist!) or look on Ebay. I have 2 chesty mounts. One is a chinese copy from Ebay ( it is identical to the official Gopro one..probably is the Gopro one!) and the other is in fact a modified dog mount which was given to me as a present but had no interest in using it on my dog!!

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I tried the Chin Mount once and even when I was a lot fitter there was a lot of puffing and blowing so it got filed in to the recycling bin sharpish, I bought myself a Camelbak sternum protector as I’ve got a penchant for flying off my bike, this is rock steady even on the gnarliest of trails, wins every time in my opinion 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles