• Depends on ride

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • None

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Ok so another curious poll, because I never really see anyone wearing goggles anymore unless they are using a full face helmet, and I just don't get why. I've tried both and I've found that my Smith goggles with the foam over the vents removed work miles better than any glasses.

So opinions?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use riding glasses. (Not my regular prescription glasses). I can’t imagine riding without eye protection. Ask me how I know.

I find that the frameless or No upper frame works the best for me. Clear lenses also because of the light shining through the trees acts a as strobe while you’re riding.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use an Oculus with pass through enabled. Then bright light/shadows or steaming lenses are not a problem.

Plus it highlights boundaries, animals, trees and you can watch netflix or read the forum on a boring climb.

You do look like a knob though, in my case I'm lucky and do anyway so it makes no difference.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use an Oculus with pass through enabled.
Those are vey very cool👍🏻.
… suddenly there was a rock shard stuck in my goggle…
Without a front fender I’ve had the ocassional small rock bounce off my glasses …but that’s was a bit close 😳.

Unlike @Zimmerframe I suffer in the fashion arena.

Went through a few sets before I settled on the clear Ryders (front Center).
IMG_6189.jpeg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
With me it depends on the outside temp and or wind too. Under 45 degrees I use a pair of Smith Ski Googles. Blocks the wind from my eyes and keeps the inside temp of my helmet nice and toasty. Over 45 degrees I use a pair of Oakley Radar sunglasses with auto darkening Photochromic lenses.

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 10.46.36 AM.png IMG_9576.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Those cold days can be eye watering with some wind. I usually wear a balaclava on cold winter rides but the frames pinch my ears mostly. It takes me about 4months to grow a beard for protection so I better start now. I probably need balaclava friendly glasses 🤓 or maybe switch to googles.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I need glasses to see clearly more than about 30 feet without squinting. I will not ride without eye protection.
Hence prescription Oakley specs. I went for the Straight Jacket style.

I use them even with my full-face helmet because I cannot justify the cost of prescription goggles.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Oakley Jawbreakers with an open face helmet, Smiths goggles with Smiths full face helmet. I wear an open face helmet on XC type rides, full face on gravity rides.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I've not tried this with mine. I take it there was a reasonable improvement ? What about comfort ???
??? Smith MTB goggles have open vents on the top which match the vents in the Smith full face hlemet............there is no foam!!

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
I've not tried this with mine. I take it there was a reasonable improvement ? What about comfort ???
I think I may have got ski goggles then lol, I got them like 5 or 6 years ago. They originally had foam covering the vents all the way round the goggles which noticeably improved ventilation and cooling. I didn't remove any of the foam that impacted comfort

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Interested in this. With the added complication of wearing prescription glasses. Which are expensive but offer some protection. Usually end up wearing basic safety over glasses as nothing else works

Goggles always squash my nostrils a bit below the bridge of the nose though. So I can’t breath….I keep looking at them thinking surely they’ve fixed that by now, but not on the ones I’ve tried

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
For me it's cos almost all my trails are perpetually muddy or throws up a lot of dust and debris.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Where I ride, there's very little mud. When I'm the second or third rider, I try to stay so close that the dust is still low enough to the ground so it's not a problem. If that's not feasible, I just fall waaaay back. I'd rather be slow than have to get covered in dust.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I wear prescription lenses, so I use the biggest glasses I can find that take prescription lenses, currently using Oakley jawbreakers despite finding them very ugly.

I have an insert for goggles, but I find it distorts my vision a bit, so very rarely wear them. They happen to be the smith goggles posted above, I personally put some tape on the upper vent as in the 10x I rode with the googles, twice a fly/bee entered through the top and got caught in my mask!

Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
I need prescription lenses all the time (Multifocals).When I was riding dirt bikes I used Smith OTG goggles. I’ve tried a number of MTB glasses that have prescription inserts but they just don’t work well. Gone back to OTG goggles with full face.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
twice a fly/bee entered through the top and got caught in my mask!
Bee's are great for this.

It's like having a nano fan in your goggles to keep the air moving and stop misting.

Plus they constantly buzz around cleaning the lens.

I don't know about everyone else, but I normally use the plant holder holes (often mistaken as vents) in the top of the lenses to hold wild flowers to attract the first bee in.

1683029888096.png

DaveG01

Mar 27, 2023
Shills
@Stihldog

"We have made the difficult decision to cease production and distribution of Ryders brand products, effective December 31st, 2022"

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
How about some cool winter protective gear with integrated space goggles, fully compatible with prescription glasses, warm ear covers for windy conditions, and comfy inside padding :cool: May not be MIPS approved though...
View attachment 113339
I wonder if if comes with a HUD?
Look’s warm though but no option for chiclet-protection. “Call Me Maverick”.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
@Stihldog

"We have made the difficult decision to cease production and distribution of Ryders brand products, effective December 31st, 2022"
Thanks for the heads-up Dave. I guess this means I can finally get some prescription riding glasses 🤓.

I went with the Ryders Clear because there was no frame at the top, were I look, and the fit over my nose was better (wide bridge and a few nose fractures).

I wonder if bifocal riding glasses will work since I need to put my regular glasses on just to focus on my iWatch. I only need to glance at my Kiox and iwatch while I’m riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles