Go Pro Hero 7 Black - Anyone had these issues? [video sample]

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
I am recording 4k on a new
Sandisk 128 gig card (see attached)

The footage sometimes has no audio and on other occasions the footage is all jerky like this clip.
Any ideas? Black 7 is updated and brand new (month old)

card.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The stuttering looks like the card failing to keep up with the data flow. I would try another micro SD card. Unfortunately there are a lot of fake micro SD cards about...especially the expensive high capacity ones so where you buy the card is important. Check out online for numerous free software packages you can load onto your PC and test a Sd card for performance. I have bought Class 10 cards in the past that did not even perform to Class 4 when tested and that was from a High Street store. I took it back and got my money back. I have now for years bought my cards from mymemory.com and never had a problem. A card has to perform consistently at and preferably above Class 10 for 4k data stream.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Bought from Argos some. Clips had no au
The stuttering looks like the card failing to keep up with the data flow. I would try another micro SD card. Unfortunately there are a lot of fake micro SD cards about...especially the expensive high capacity ones so where you buy the card is important. Check out online for numerous free software packages you can load onto your PC and test a Sd card for performance. I have bought Class 10 cards in the past that did not even perform to Class 4 when tested and that was from a High Street store. I took it back and got my money back. I have now for years bought my cards from mymemory.com and never had a problem. A card has to perform consistently at and preferably above Class 10 for 4k data stream.
I bought the car from Argos so I hope it's a proper one he'll noticed some of the clips I have the audio is missing as well I have never had one issue with my Osmo action camera and I've had that camera over a year and a half people don't seem to rate it as well but it's a fantastic camera.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Depending on your settings a separate RAW audio stream is generated...again if the card cannot keep up and given that Gopro has limited buffering, the audio will be lost. The vast majority of problems with Gopro is due to the card...either not fast enough or with corrupted sectors.
How you manage the card is also important. Personally I never connect Gopro to another device via USB. The reason being that there is no definitive standard for USB and on some devices ( laptops) a USB port automatically downloads a file to anything connected. If that happens it will corrupt the card because Gopro has its own File Table set up. Similarly you should not mess with files on a Gopro card other than when it is in the Gopro. So dont for example delete files from the card with a laptop. Safest way to manage the card is to use a card reader and merely download ( copy) the files to a laptop/PC drive, then put the card back into the Gopro and format it there. Start every Gopro session with a card formatted in the Gopro.
So first you could try re formatting the card in Gopro and see if the problem persists. Next run a test software to see if the card is a full class 10. without any periods below that speed. If it is no good, take it back with a printed copy of the report from the software.
If it tests OK I would still try another card to eliminate the card as the cause of the problem.
If the problem still persists after that, you probably need to take the Gopro back to where you bought it since there is really nothing else you can play with to fix it.
PS my duff card came from PC World! I test every card I buy before using it.

ps....you could also try using 2.7k rather than 4k. At 4k Gopro is firing very nearly 10MB/sec at the card....probably more if multiple files are being written simultaneously ( .thm, RAW audio, .lrv)...nobody really know exactly. To be safe your card needs to be able to write at double that ( 20MB/sec). Cars usually tell you the read speed but their "write" speed is usually caveated with "up to"! If the card drops below 10MB at any stage, it will cause problems. 2.7k at 60fps reduces the data transfer rate to 6MB/sec

Last edited:

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Depending on your settings a separate RAW audio stream is generated...again if the card cannot keep up and given that Gopro has limited buffering, the audio will be lost. The vast majority of problems with Gopro is due to the card...either not fast enough or with corrupted sectors.
How you manage the card is also important. Personally I never connect Gopro to another device via USB. The reason being that there is no definitive standard for USB and on some devices ( laptops) a USB port automatically downloads a file to anything connected. If that happens it will corrupt the card because Gopro has its own File Table set up. Similarly you should not mess with files on a Gopro card other than when it is in the Gopro. So dont for example delete files from the card with a laptop. Safest way to manage the card is to use a card reader and merely download ( copy) the files to a laptop/PC drive, then put the card back into the Gopro and format it there. Start every Gopro session with a card formatted in the Gopro.
So first you could try re formatting the card in Gopro and see if the problem persists. Next run a test software to see if the card is a full class 10. without any periods below that speed. If it is no good, take it back with a printed copy of the report from the software.
If it tests OK I would still try another card to eliminate the card as the cause of the problem.
If the problem still persists after that, you probably need to take the Gopro back to where you bought it since there is really nothing else you can play with to fix it.
PS my duff card came from PC World! I test every card I buy before using it.

ps....you could also try using 2.7k rather than 4k. At 4k Gopro is firing very nearly 10MB/sec at the card....probably more if multiple files are being written simultaneously ( .thm, RAW audio, .lrv)...nobody really know exactly. To be safe your card needs to be able to write at double that ( 20MB/sec). Cars usually tell you the read speed but their "write" speed is usually caveated with "up to"! If the card drops below 10MB at any stage, it will cause problems. 2.7k at 60fps reduces the data transfer rate to 6MB/sec
I use a card reader, its not the editing software as the original files are like that on the card happened 3 times. Will try a different card, what software did you use to test speed? Thanks for the advice.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
FWIW I also had a scan disk extreme card play up on my Hero 7. I'd also thought I'd bought it from a reputable place. maybe not, eh?
replaced with Samsung 128GB Evo Plus Micro SD Card from mymemory and it's given me no issues since
This one:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
H2 testw is the test software I use. Best to format the card to its original format in the PC afterwards.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
FWIW I also had a scan disk extreme card play up on my Hero 7. I'd also thought I'd bought it from a reputable place. maybe not, eh?
replaced with Samsung 128GB Evo Plus Micro SD Card from mymemory and it's given me no issues since
This one:
Just bought 1 thanks.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes, format the card in the Gopro. The test software writes to the card so you would lose any data on it. Formatting in your PC returns the card to the format it was in when you bought it.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Yes, format the card in the Gopro. The test software writes to the card so you would lose any data on it. Formatting in your PC returns the card to the format it was in when you bought it.
Dont still ruined 3 rides, with freezing and hve to take battery out, which is a pain when its attached to helmet, its shit. Ozmo not had 1 issue in 2 years. hero 7 black. lost 3 rides and its 3 months old.

Gopros are notoriously buggy. When they work they are great, but since they are not reliable (it's not just us) I think they are crap!

I have a Gopro 9 and have had similar freezing issues where the only option is to yank the battery. Got the memory card from Gopro and I am filming in 1080p.

I think we have to live with the issues or buy another brand next time.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hero 7 had a bug when first released if used in Quik Capture mode...it was resolved with the first software upgrade after it was released. Other than identifying that Quik Capture on the 7 had that issue and avoiding using that feature until the new software release, I have not experienced a single fault on Gopro all the way from the first HD Gopro to now.....over 10 years....and I have made on average 3 videos a month during that time...most of them Windsurfing , some MTB and Kayaking and some family videos. As I said above, most problems are caused by poor quality SD cards or mismanagement of the SD card.
In the early days most of the problems were caused by a huge number of factory reject SanDisk SD cards finding their way onto the market, and they were indistinguishable from the real deal and available in high street stores etc to the extent that Gopro advised against using that brand. Sandisk were at the time, probably still is the leading brand. They clearly did something to address the issue to the extent that Gopro started recommending them again. I still test every card I buy. and I have not used Sandisk for years!! To add my list best management of SD cards above:-
Dont use a Gopro card in any other device
Dont expect an SD card to last forever. Like everything else, they decay with use. I replace my SD card on an annual basis.

Hero 7 had a bug when first released if used in Quik Capture mode...it was resolved with the first software upgrade after it was released. Other than identifying that Quik Capture on the 7 had that issue and avoiding using that feature until the new software release, I have not experienced a single fault on Gopro all the way from the first HD Gopro to now.....over 10 years....and I have made on average 3 videos a month during that time...most of them Windsurfing , some MTB and Kayaking and some family videos. As I said above, most problems are caused by poor quality SD cards or mismanagement of the SD card.
In the early days most of the problems were caused by a huge number of factory reject SanDisk SD cards finding their way onto the market, and they were indistinguishable from the real deal and available in high street stores etc to the extent that Gopro advised against using that brand. Sandisk were at the time, probably still is the leading brand. They clearly did something to address the issue to the extent that Gopro started recommending them again. I still test every card I buy. and I have not used Sandisk for years!! To add my list best management of SD cards above:-
Dont use a Gopro card in any other device
Dont expect an SD card to last forever. Like everything else, they decay with use. I replace my SD card on an annual basis.
Thank you for the tips!

I don't use the SD card anywhere else. I had troubles with my camera in cold weather (about -3 celcius) when I had to pull the battery. Perhaps it doesn't like low temperatures? Just a reflection. I have not used it a lot, got it a month ago and I sincerely hope it was a one off incident.

But overall I don't get very confident when the buttons and screen are laggy. The feeling you get when you have to push a button 2-3 times without anything happening and then everything freezes up is not very nice on a rather expensive camera.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles