glossy dengfu e10?

vancouver rider

Apr 25, 2022
canada
i dont really have the space to do that painting.
but i never really seen anyone with glossy dengfu e10?
this is a good idea? thanks!

vancouver rider

Apr 25, 2022
canada
Yep, possibly one of the better ways to go. Gives a tough surface to the carbon, looks cool and yet somewhat discrete. If you want to jazz it up a bit, get some vinyls cut.

cool! haha . thanks! does glossy incrase the difficulty of me painting it later on? thanks! i can't wait man !

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
I went with a glossy frame / still part way through build as I wait for parts, but happy with the decision (hard to photograph). Black & glossy, but can see the carbon fibres when looking close.

Here is a close-up of part of the frame from an earlier post:
rear-shock-jpg.89091

vancouver rider

Apr 25, 2022
canada
I went with a glossy frame / still part way through build as I wait for parts, but happy with the decision (hard to photograph). Black & glossy, but can see the carbon fibres when looking close.

Here is a close-up of part of the frame from an earlier post:
rear-shock-jpg.89091
wow that's beautiful!

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
cool! haha . thanks! does glossy incrase the difficulty of me painting it later on? thanks! i can't wait man !
If you want a very nice glossy finish that is very Diy friendly just lightly scuff the frame with 800 grit or red scotch Brite. spray a good quality base black not nessesarily glossy you want a paint that give good color coverage and uniformity with the base coat. .then get a 2k clear coat and put at least 2 coats .. spray max makes a very good one in a rattle can. You'll be very happy with the results .

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
If you want a very nice glossy finish that is very Diy friendly just lightly scuff the frame with 800 grit or red scotch Brite. spray a good quality base black not nessesarily glossy you want a paint that give good color coverage and uniformity with the base coat. .then get a 2k clear coat and put at least 2 coats .. spray max makes a very good one in a rattle can. You'll be very happy with the results .
Why go to all that trouble where the glossy frame is not much more expensive as a bare frame and you then hide all that lovely carbon weave. Bonus is if you want to paint it the gloss is a full 2K acrylic surface and better than most primers.

Sure, as with all paint including colour bases, any gloss surface relies on reflection of light to be a gloss, any imperfections such as scratch’s will show. It’s just to the human eye some colours hide those imperfections better than others.

My gloss frame must be pushing 2 years old and has done over 2K of hard U.K. mud and flint surfaces, it’s now looking a tad scratched in places but no worse than my Whyte did at the same age.

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
Why go to all that trouble where the glossy frame is not much more expensive as a bare frame and you then hide all that lovely carbon weave. Bonus is if you want to paint it the gloss is a full 2K acrylic surface and better than most primers.

Sure, as with all paint including colour bases, any gloss surface relies on reflection of light to be a gloss, any imperfections such as scratch’s will show. It’s just to the human eye some colours hide those imperfections better than others.

My gloss frame must be pushing 2 years old and has done over 2K of hard U.K. mud and flint surfaces, it’s now looking a tad scratched in places but no worse than my Whyte did at the same age.
UD carbon fibre doesn't have "weave". UD stands for uni-directional. The fibres are all in one direction per layer, and the only thing that cross' it is a binder that keeps the fibres together during handling, cut out and lay up.

The raw CF surface out of the factory is just matt black without even a slight hint of the UD fibres barely even noticeable. So painting it doesn't hide any weave pattern. Although, given the amount of dust inside the frame etc , im sure they spend a fair bit of effort sanding out any parting flash and other imperfections.

It would be nice if the UD carbon bikes came with an aesthetic base layer of 2x2 twill for that stereotypical carbon fibre look. Then a clear only coat would be nice.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
UD carbon fibre doesn't have "weave". UD stands for uni-directional. The fibres are all in one direction per layer, and the only thing that cross' it is a binder that keeps the fibres together during handling, cut out and lay up.

The raw CF surface out of the factory is just matt black without even a slight hint of the UD fibres barely even noticeable. So painting it doesn't hide any weave pattern. Although, given the amount of dust inside the frame etc , im sure they spend a fair bit of effort sanding out any parting flash and other imperfections.

It would be nice if the UD carbon bikes came with an aesthetic base layer of 2x2 twill for that stereotypical carbon fibre look. Then a clear only coat would be nice.
Agree on the UD. On my frame you can see the fibre directions and in parts the strengthening sections, it’s not out there like a Twill but never the less it’s obvious that it’s CF.

More seriously guys, the factory gloss layer sprayed in a heated booth is way better surface than any rattle can could ever produce. It’s flat ( perfect for vinyl or a partial colour spray ) , in every corner and it’s 2K, it will last as good as your latest BMW left in the sun, all without all that prep and spray time a bare frame will require. That time you could be out riding.

CaptainBobt

Jun 23, 2022
Usa
Agree on the UD. On my frame you can see the fibre directions and in parts the strengthening sections, it’s not out there like a Twill but never the less it’s obvious that it’s CF.

More seriously guys, the factory gloss layer sprayed in a heated booth is way better surface than any rattle can could ever produce. It’s flat ( perfect for vinyl or a partial colour spray ) , in every corner and it’s 2K, it will last as good as your latest BMW left in the sun, all without all that prep and spray time a bare frame will require. That time you could be out riding.
I disagree, you do have a good point about the time and effort put into it such a endeavor, nevermind Money. But to each his own, and our reasons. However this is a topic on bulding our own ebikes, I guess yes we could all just get anything ready to ride from a factory in that case the question would have never come up and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles