Giant Trance E+ Sudden Off!!

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
FIXED!! Yes after doing much diligent work with a digital micrometer and studying the possible solutions and now reading your experience I believe my solution is what is needed. The controller voltage is unknown and I suspect very sensitive to any resistance from corrosion on the terminals even if it seems microscopic..the wafer block might help The terminals fit better for a while and folks have tightened the key lock for a tighter fit but in the end the problem returns. We know the motor uses lots of power but the controller may be very very sensitive to any Unwanted resistance on the terminals. With that theory I bought a can of electronic contact cleaner and did nothing else like tightening the key or lock - nothing. I used CRC 5103 contact cleaner on the battery terminals and the bike terminals. The problem has been completely resolved on my bike and I had the same complaint as you. Without a wiring diagram for the controller (I’m an engineer) I strongly Suspect the controller to be of very small voltage and the electronics inside of it uber sensitive to any power supply issue that might cause a resistance increase - even micro levels of corrosion on the terminals. These things tend to be designed by electronic geeks that don’t ride mountain bikes and have no idea the environment these terminals may endure. My bike was new and while it was a bit dirty the battery terminals looked perfectly clean visually. However, Two sprays of CRC on those terminals cured my bike of all the problems I reported earlier. The only change I did was that spray cleaner. My bike was fixed with $5 can of CRC. Good luck!!

that is very good info but. how can I see if those terminals are ok or not...I mean, how do you realize about that micro corrosion?? Do you think could be helpful to use sandpaper to clean the terminals??

Ricardo Traven

Aug 6, 2020
North Carolina
No sir I would not advocate that...the cleaning in this case is best done with electronic circuit cleaner that is available almost everywhere like auto parts stores, Amazon, or any electronics stores. The product I listed is easy to buy on line.

Giantfan

Sep 30, 2020
Thousand Oaks
saw some problems with the trance E+ keep turning off during ride. after my 1st 100km, the system keep turning off suddenly. Turn it on back, it will off again!
any solution for this?
This happened to me just this week. I've had the bike for over 6 months with no issue. Then, out of the blue, it just shut off. I finally removed the battery and carefully dusted off the contact points and put it back. It's been working fine ever since. What surprised me was how much dust and dirt was all over the battery. Giant did not do a great job of sealing the battery compartment in their design. Other than that, the bike is completely awesome. Most fun I've ever had on a MB. Hope this helps!

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
FIXED!! Yes after doing much diligent work with a digital micrometer and studying the possible solutions and now reading your experience I believe my solution is what is needed. The controller voltage is unknown and I suspect very sensitive to any resistance from corrosion on the terminals even if it seems microscopic..the wafer block might help The terminals fit better for a while and folks have tightened the key lock for a tighter fit but in the end the problem returns. We know the motor uses lots of power but the controller may be very very sensitive to any Unwanted resistance on the terminals. With that theory I bought a can of electronic contact cleaner and did nothing else like tightening the key or lock - nothing. I used CRC 5103 contact cleaner on the battery terminals and the bike terminals. The problem has been completely resolved on my bike and I had the same complaint as you. Without a wiring diagram for the controller (I’m an engineer) I strongly Suspect the controller to be of very small voltage and the electronics inside of it uber sensitive to any power supply issue that might cause a resistance increase - even micro levels of corrosion on the terminals. These things tend to be designed by electronic geeks that don’t ride mountain bikes and have no idea the environment these terminals may endure. My bike was new and while it was a bit dirty the battery terminals looked perfectly clean visually. However, Two sprays of CRC on those terminals cured my bike of all the problems I reported earlier. The only change I did was that spray cleaner. My bike was fixed with $5 can of CRC. Good luck!!
Hi Ricardo, how is it working after few weeks?? any other cutt off?

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Just got back from LBS. Test ride in the parking lot and it shut off.
They replaced the controller... Test ride in parking lot again, shut off. They are now calling Giant.
Hey Dave, we're you able sort out the issue with your Stance? I'm having similar problems with the RideOne Control unit powering on briefly then it's lights out a moment later. Will be dropping my Trance off at the dealer on Monday.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hey Dave, we're you able sort out the issue with your Stance? I'm having similar problems with the RideOne Control unit powering on briefly then it's lights out a moment later. Will be dropping my Trance off at the dealer on Monday.
Giant told the dealer to replace the wiring harness, so that'll be done this week.
Really chomping at the bit to get it back!:)

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Yup. That was the first thing they tried. Then when I tried it in the parking lot it failed, so they replaced the controller while I was there. Failed again, so Giant suggested a new wiring harness. I should get it back this week.

Went through this with a Liv Intrigue Pro, had a shim installed and all kinds of work done but this was in summer of 2020 and after it being in the shop for months I demanded a refund. Which I got, so kudos to Giant for that. So, if your bike keeps acting up, don’t hesitate to ask for a refund!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Went through this with a Liv Intrigue Pro, had a shim installed and all kinds of work done but this was in summer of 2020 and after it being in the shop for months I demanded a refund. Which I got, so kudos to Giant for that. So, if your bike keeps acting up, don’t hesitate to ask for a refund!
Yup, no worries. I have patience but certainly don't mind being a "customer" when the need arises.:)

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Fourth ride on my 2021 Trance X on Friday and I experienced a red light on the controller and then it powered off. Had plenty of charge. Switched on and off a few times but kept shutting down on its own.

Took out battery and put back in. Switched on and has been fine for 50km since.

Had no issues at all with my 2020 bike.......hope it was a one off and my “luck” hasn’t run out after 2400km of trouble-free Giant Trance E ownership (100km on new bike).

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Giant told the dealer to replace the wiring harness, so that'll be done this week.
Really chomping at the bit to get it back!:)
I left my Trance on Monday with the dealer and was waiting on a new wiring harness for it. I was advised today that the bike had powered up as normal and all readings checked out fine when it connected to the software diagnostic tool. Go figure. I picked it up an hour later and plan to go for a short ride tomorrow morning to do a bit of a shake down. The harness will still be replaced on warranty once it arrives at the dealer.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I left my Trance on Monday with the dealer and was waiting on a new wiring harness for it. I was advised today that the bike had powered up as normal and all readings checked out fine when it connected to the software diagnostic tool. Go figure. I picked it up an hour later and plan to go for a short ride tomorrow morning to do a bit of a shake down. The harness will still be replaced on warranty once it arrives at the dealer.
Were you experiencing a power off as well?
I'm curious what would happen with a different battery...

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Were you experiencing a power off as well?
I'm curious what would happen with a different battery...
Power was on then off the moment the ridecontrol unit was activated. I have no idea what the problem was as the bike appears to have come back to life on its own. According to the shop, no error codes were registered including the battery. Rode it for two hours straight this morning on some pretty rugged single track and it didn't seem to faze it one bit. I'm stumped but glad to have the bike back. Whether a new wiring /battery will make any difference is beyond me. The bike goes back to the dealer Monday morning to have the new harness installed. I really don't want to be caught in a situation where it dies mid ride. :rolleyes:

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Power was on then off the moment the ridecontrol unit was activated. I have no idea what the problem was as the bike appears to have come back to life on its own. According to the shop, no error codes were registered including the battery. Rode it for two hours straight this morning on some pretty rugged single track and it didn't seem to faze it one bit. I'm stumped but glad to have the bike back. Whether a new wiring /battery will make any difference is beyond me. The bike goes back to the dealer Monday morning to have the new harness installed. I really don't want to be caught in a situation where it dies mid ride. :rolleyes:
Yeah I got caught mid ride, but at least the terrain was relatively flat

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Mine did it again yesterday. Power off switched back on fine for 5 minutes then off again.

The middle power light was RED. And I think the L5 was lit. Googled and this came up:

IMG_2257.jpg

Looks like it was over heating.

Did the same as before. Battery out and back in again and it was fine all the way home.

I don’t want to call the dealer as they’ll want it back to do dish’s and they are an hours round trip away.

Will live with it (it does power back on and get me home) until it’s convenient to take to dealers.

Pissed off as was spoilt with reliability of predecessor.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
new fathom 2021 model here and same problem. I will try adjusting battery lock then shimming then it will go to the lbs if not solved :(

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My guess is they will never get it sorted out completely with the design they have. The frame flexes, the battery moves, the mount is rigid-this forces the electrical connections to move continuously. Add poor water proofing, kinked cables with tight radius wires bending directly out of poorly sealed connectors, jammed into tight spaces, while mud and water get poored over them. Idk. Sounds less than perfect.

Last edited:

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Had a trouble free 35km yesterday. I made sure the battery was tightly seated and the “lock screw” pretty tight.

Frustrating as when I go over 25kmh I check to see if it’s hit the assistance limit or it’s powered off taking my eyes off the trail.

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
The tech at the dealer where I dropped my bike off discovered a corroded connector below the socket bracket which was likely the culprit to blame for the temporary shut down of my Trance. He thinks that all the connectors should be checked as a necessary precaution. Not sure if this is this is the solution for everyone who has been experiencing similar electrical gremlins with their rides but i think that it's a good start. The tech cleaned up the affected part, applied dielectric grease, updated the firmware and replaced the harness to boot. I pick up the bike tomorrow morning and will go for another test ride to confirm that all is well. He plans to submit his findings to Giant Canada. Thanks to Don at Red's in Lacombe, AB for going that extra mile for me. (y)
20210420_140735_HDR_resized.jpg

20210420_140745_HDR_resized.jpg

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
new fathom 2021 model here and same problem. I will try adjusting battery lock then shimming then it will go to the lbs if not solved :(
The two screws holding the lock at the top of the battery were too high, the battery could not be fully inserted. Just loosening them a little and setting them in a lower position fixed 100% the issue!

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Had a trouble free 35km yesterday. I made sure the battery was tightly seated and the “lock screw” pretty tight.

Frustrating as when I go over 25kmh I check to see if it’s hit the assistance limit or it’s powered off taking my eyes off the trail.

Had 4 “sudden offs” yesterday. 2 where it just switched off and 2 with error code lights. Once it was “syncdrive issue” and the other was all lights, including the Red light were flashing??

It switched back on each time but I stopped and removed/replaced battery after which it stayed on until I got home.

It’s very bumpy in places as I ride mainly bridelways as the ground is not hard but has yet to smooth out. Would make sense that vibration is the cause as each switch off has been towards the end of a ride and a battery reseat fixes.

I do find the battery more fiddly to insert vs my 2020 Trance E+.

PITA - will check out the battery lock positioning, thank KuRi.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles