Giant RideControl EVO display w/ controller - Installation for Stance E+2 2021

kjneil77

Jun 9, 2021
US
Hello everyone! I just received a nice care package from my friend containing the Giant RideControl Evo, he bought it in Germany during his recent trip as I have told him I don't think it's available here in the US, HOWEVER, It did not come with a manual nor instructions, I have looked and browsed online for installation instructions but I can't seem to find any, it seems it's pretty much plug and play but with no instructions I can't be sure of it, any info you could share would be much appreciated. Worst case scenario, I'll drive a couple hours to my nearest Giant Authorized retailer - don't want to mess this up haha :p
giantrce.jpg

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Awesome!
The controller looks like it's truly plug and play.
If you loosen/remove the left rubber cap on the frame you should see the connector for the current controller. Somewhere in there I bet there's the mate for the display as well.
BUT... these bikes are slightly different per location, so US/CAN might be different internal cabling from EU bikes.
Also, the EU controller might be capped at 15mph (or something).
That said, maybe the dealer can fix that.

kjneil77

Jun 9, 2021
US
Awesome!
The controller looks like it's truly plug and play.
If you loosen/remove the left rubber cap on the frame you should see the connector for the current controller. Somewhere in there I bet there's the mate for the display as well.
BUT... these bikes are slightly different per location, so US/CAN might be different internal cabling from EU bikes.
Also, the EU controller might be capped at 15mph (or something).
That said, maybe the dealer can fix that.
Thank you! I’ll check the wirings and see what it entails! Haha

zeKe

Jan 14, 2022
norcal
Were you able to get this to work?

I know (or at least was told by Giant) that the RideDash isn't compatible. But I'm curious to see if this was.

I ended up getting a Garmin 830 and it pulls all the data from the bike sensors.

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
I have just received new RideControl One Controller which I had to order from Giant UK as the local (NZ) LBS could not supply. Giant UK service was great however there was no documentation included and while it appears to bea plug replacement for my old unit, other posts re firmware updates, which I assume I will need to do, bricking their controllers make me somewhat nervous.I am upgrading a 2019 Giant Fathom to get ANT+ and the new controller was required.

appreciate any suggestions or links.

Mike

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I have just received new RideControl One Controller which I had to order from Giant UK as the local (NZ) LBS could not supply. Giant UK service was great however there was no documentation included and while it appears to bea plug replacement for my old unit, other posts re firmware updates, which I assume I will need to do, bricking their controllers make me somewhat nervous.I am upgrading a 2019 Giant Fathom to get ANT+ and the new controller was required.

appreciate any suggestions or links.

Mike
Last year I got a 2021 Ant+ RideControl One for my 2019 Trance so I could connect the bike to my Garmin. The LBS fitted it for me (just unplugged the old one and plugged in the new), and all I needed to do was pair it with my phone so it could connect to the app.
It was very simple, however I am not impressed with how it works as during nearly every ride it disconnects from the Garmin, and to re-connect it I have to reboot the bike and the Garmin!

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
Also posted elsewhere but to close this loop -

Just received and installed the new ANT+ upgrade, Giant UK were very responsive and shipped the unit quickly but it arrived with no documentation. I found a Youtube describing the installation (Upgrade Giant Trance E+ 2019 with ANT+ Ride Control One 2020, view power and range on Wahoo Elemnt - YouTube ) but was for a Trance vs my Fathom. Getting the connector out of the frame proved to be a bit of a challenge but I was able to get at the connector via the opening on the opposite site of the frame.

I took the precaution of removing the bike battery and having a strong internet signal for my phone for the firmware update. So far looks good but a will feel more confident after a few hours using the controller.
Cheers

Mike
Auckland, NZ
2019 Giant Fathom
Report Edit Delete Bookmark

1643347412932.gif

1643347412976.gif

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles