Giant Fathom e+2 2020 + Speedbox help please

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
Hi, new to the forum and new to the world of emtb's and loving the journey so far.
Its given me a chance to get out and go further and enjoy riding again after a back injury and get some fitness back.
I do have a problem though and hoped one of you fantastic members may be able to help me please?
As the title says, I have a 2020 Giant Fathom E+2 and as my riding is all on private land I wanted to remove the 15mph limit so it doesn't feel like I'm peddling in treacle ;)
I've contacted Speedbox and they confirmed that a Giant 2.0 would work so I then duly found a retailer who sold me one and then had the task of fitting it.
Bit if a pita to be honest and nothing like the instructional video but got it done and it does nothing...zip, nada, zilch.
Pressed the walk assist and then up button in every possible manor and length of time and still nothing.

The retailer has been fantastic and prompt with replies and has offered a replacement or a volspeed but I'm honestly at pains to spend so much money on something that either doesn't work or takes me hours to faff about fitting.

Had anyone else got a speedbox on their 2020 Fathom?
Am I missing something?
Is it actually compatible with a 2020 bike as I've read somewhere that there are extra sensors in the motor on 2020 bikes that render some of these boxes unusable.
And finally should I replace the Speedbox for another one ..... or go Volspeed and try that through the ride control app as I will be able to see and confirm its active then.

Apologies for the questions and I'm hoping to be able to gain knowledge on here to help others through time.... and be part of this community.
Thanks for any help in advance.

James.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
Hi, new to the forum and new to the world of emtb's and loving the journey so far.
Its given me a chance to get out and go further and enjoy riding again after a back injury and get some fitness back.
I do have a problem though and hoped one of you fantastic members may be able to help me please?
As the title says, I have a 2020 Giant Fathom E+2 and as my riding is all on private land I wanted to remove the 15mph limit so it doesn't feel like I'm peddling in treacle ;)
I've contacted Speedbox and they confirmed that a Giant 2.0 would work so I then duly found a retailer who sold me one and then had the task of fitting it.
Bit if a pita to be honest and nothing like the instructional video but got it done and it does nothing...zip, nada, zilch.
Pressed the walk assist and then up button in every possible manor and length of time and still nothing.

The retailer has been fantastic and prompt with replies and has offered a replacement or a volspeed but I'm honestly at pains to spend so much money on something that either doesn't work or takes me hours to faff about fitting.

Am I missing something?
Is it actually compatible with a 2020 bike as I've read somewhere that there are extra sensors in the motor on 2020 bikes that render some of these boxes unusable.
And finally should I replace the Speedbox for another one ..... or go Volspeed and try that through the ride control app as I will be able to see and confirm its active then.

Apologies for the questions and I'm hoping to be able to gain knowledge on here to help others through time.... and be part of this community.

James.
The way the speedbox installs turned me off to it. The Planet3 is super easy to install and works great on my 2020 trance E+1

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
The seller kindly replaced the speedbox for a Volspeed and ive spent this morning fitting it and ...... nothing.

Any ideas if I'm missing anything at all to get this 'box' to work as I'm beginning to think there is something in either my bike or 2020 Giant Fathoms that won't allow these to work.

Any help or guidance or advice would be appreciated as Ive come to far now to give up on this??

Am I missing something?

James.
MY 20: press
The seller kindly replaced the speedbox for a Volspeed and ive spent this morning fitting it and ...... nothing.

Any ideas if I'm missing anything at all to get this 'box' to work as I'm beginning to think there is something in either my bike or 2020 Giant Fathoms that won't allow these to work.

Any help or guidance or advice would be appreciated as Ive come to far now to give up on this??
Did. you proceed the initial set up?

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs

Yes sir...followed the included instructions to the letter and tried in numerous occasions today to get working.
It just will not allow the bike to go over 25kph. I have tried every gear, every power setting, every combination of buttons.
It shows on the ride control app as being activated but nothing.
Has anyone else tried to fit a speedbox or volspeed to this model of bike as at the moment I'm leaning towards the 2020 model not being compatible.

Also....if anyone reads this and is thinking of adding one of these units to this bike.....my advice would be to not bother at all as the space to try and get these boxes tucked away safely and securely is ridiculous.
Its nothing like the instructional videos.

I've asked the vendor/retailer for support today or a refund so I will see what the next few days brings.
In fairness he has been great but I'm not accepting a £170 loss ....plus my cost shipping back to him...another £15 and about 6 hours of my time trying to install and make it work.

Intrigued to hear from others on these boxes on 2020 Giant bikes....but it seems quiet on here?

Yes sir...followed the included instructions to the letter and tried in numerous occasions today to get working.
It just will not allow the bike to go over 25kph. I have tried every gear, every power setting, every combination of buttons.
Has anyone else tried to fit a speedbox or volspeed to this model of bike as at the moment I'm leaning towards the 2020 model not being compatible.

Also....if anyone reads this and is thinking of adding one of these units to this bike.....my advice would be to not bother at all as the space to try and get these boxes tucked away safely and securely is ridiculous.

I've asked the vendor/retailer for support today or a refund so I will see what the next few days brings.
In fairness he has been great but I'm not accepting a £170 loss ....plus my cost shipping back to him...another £15 and about 6 hours of my time trying to install and make it work.

Intrigued to hear from others on these boxes on 2020 Giant bikes....but it seems quiet on here?
Seems to be a „do it but don‘t talk about it“ topic. Which box has smaller sizes, speedbox of Volspeed? Heard there is little room inside the Trance e+ MY 20.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
Honestly try to get your money back and pick up a Planet3. Those speedboxes are cool but because of the way they work you risk it being disabled with every firmware update to the bike. The Planet 3 is low tech and isnt going to be an issue. Plus its easy to take off if needed

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
Seems to be a „do it but don‘t talk about it“ topic. Which box has smaller sizes, speedbox of Volspeed? Heard there is little room inside the Trance e+ MY 20.
There is no room for manoeuvre when fitting these.
I wouldn't do one again lets put it that way!
I'd rather go baddassbox or Planet 3 to get around the restrictor tbh as it will save you a considerable amount of time and frustration.

As an update to mine it now works and is doing as its supposed to do.
The solution was to take it out of low speed mode..... by doing the attached,
EC1D9559-3C86-4844-9B86-2E0E77DCF673.jpeg.jpg

and it just started working.
The only thing to come out of this with a positive was the seller.....prompt at replying to mails, even on a weekend, and tried his best to help resolve.
It took a mate joining Facebook and asking the question on a Giant group to get the answer...but got there in the end and hopefully this post helps anyone that strays across this thread in the future (y)

Honestly try to get your money back and pick up a Planet3. Those speedboxes are cool but because of the way they work you risk it being disabled with every firmware update to the bike. The Planet 3 is low tech and isnt going to be an issue. Plus its easy to take off if needed
Great to hear you got it running. BadassBox is no option for my bike as the magnet is at the disc and the sensor is positioned at the end of the chain stay.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
My order at planet3 is waiting for Alex to wake up since 3 weeks ?

Send him an email.
[email protected]

He told me when I ordered mine that he was having issues getting order emails. I sent mine in on a Thursday and the following Wed I emailed him to follow up and he said he is having an issue with his system. He got it shipped out the next day and I had it all the way in California a few days later.

"Well, I've actually been wide awake, but have been experiencing issues with the plugin that runs the order form. So, even though you received a confirmation email, I hadn't received the order email. :/ I can see all the details now, but when I enter your name in the search bar the only mail that shows up is this one. "

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I see many of the 2021 cube hardtails use the Bosch Gen 3 motor. Some even have the 625 battery. It’s a slightly less powerful motor at 65nm I know but is free from any sophisticated circuitry if you know what i mean. Imagine the range you would get with this kind of bike too.

4994D32F-7413-4B63-A072-E81B4019E252.png

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk

Am I missing something?

James.
James
I tried the speedbox 2 for Giant on my Explore E+2 2020 and ran into the same problem. I will hopefully get my Volspeed tomorrow and will update.

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk

Do you mind me asking which dealer you purchased it from?

dee6567

Oct 25, 2020
Uk

I had the same problem. Tried both. Eventually I was asked to do a system diagnostic with the app and it came up with sync drive error. Took bike into my Giant dealer and they confirmed there was a fault with the motor not talking to the display.
They changed the motor . I rode bike home fitted the Volspeed and it worked.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles