2019 Giant Fathom E+ 2

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Just got my new (and first) e-bike last week. I'm 61 and was diagnosed with a blood clot last year so have gotten way out of shape. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired so now that I'm doing better, I figured why not try something I like (biking) but make it easier to get back into?
So, did some research for 3 weeks, spoke to some buddies on my guitar forum that are bike geeks and ended up choosing this 2019 Fathom! I'm the first to order one from the LBS!:eek:
I just got back from 2 rides, and it's amazing! Love it!

Now... without further delay...
A 2019 Giant Fathom E+ 2 for your perusal.
Here it is all loaded up at the store today. Got it a day earlier than expected!

Drove home and took a few snaps...

Close up of batt pack...

Went out for a quick spin, and did another after supper. This thing is stupid fun!
Oh yeah... not even 90 seconds into the first ride, I come across another MTB rider going the other way/towards me. Not quite under his breath, and easily heard he says... and I kid you not...
"That's cheating!".
What the... ?!!???
I immediately let out a loud guffaw/laugh! Man... is that what I'm in for? Really? I was expecting a comment or two on a more difficult trail or hill climb, but tooling around the neighborhood?
Goof! Put yourself in my shoes, or Shaddap! :rolleyes:
Anyway... whatever.
The power selections are easily made. Mostly didn't use anything over 3rd level of assist up hills.
Gear shifts are smooth and easy. What a cool ride!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Here are the controls.
Two strips of LED. One strip to show 5 assist levels, and one to show 5 levels of battery. No display.

This bike is so new that the app (Bluetooth to phone) isn't even ready yet.
Anyway, I can use Strava/GPS for speed/distance/whatever until then. I'll probably offer myself up for beta testing. I seem to do that a lot.
Gotta go ride again!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Update...
This bike is awesome.
I've done maybe 150kms on it (should be more but the wild fire smoke was horrifying), and only had to do minor derailleur adjustments.
Done rooty/bumpy trails, and commute/street runs along with long gravel paths.
Great all around ride.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Very nice bike glad you are enjoying it, what motor do giant use in your bike?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Sounds like the bike is doing you lots of good , enjoy . Looks like a nice bike , the battery is really neat , kind of integrated but easy to remove by the looks of it .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am interested to try the 2019 Giants when they hit the shops here - i tried a 2017 ages ago and didn't really like it, but think i was overly influenced by how ugly it was! New ones appear to be a major leap forward.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Sounds like the bike is doing you lots of good , enjoy . Looks like a nice bike , the battery is really neat , kind of integrated but easy to remove by the looks of it .
Thank you.
The battery fitting seems to work very nicely. It's solid with no rattle or movement. Twisting the spring loaded key can be a bit fiddly when removing the battery for transport or charging off the bike. A small handle would help with that, but otherwise it's a great system.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I am interested to try the 2019 Giants when they hit the shops here - i tried a 2017 ages ago and didn't really like it, but think i was overly influenced by how ugly it was! New ones appear to be a major leap forward.
Interesting! Were you looking at hardtails, or dual?
I never would have known that this 2019 was available without asking. All they had on the floor was 2018 Dirt E+ model. It has 2x9 drive, same motor, and also has a display. Nice bike and I would have bought it had I not asked what was new for 2019.
The guy told me I could order the Fathom and have it in three days, so that was that!
Don't miss the 2x9, and the app will replace the display.
Loving it so far!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Anyone know when the app is being released.
No, I don't. Trying to talk to someone at Giant is an exercise.
I finally opened a ticket and asked the Canadian/B.C. office. Days later I got a reply that said simply "Stay tuned for release".:unsure:
Twice I offered to beta test with no response.
The 2019 models are slowly trickling out on websites now. It was only 2 days ago that the Fathom E+ showed up on the Canadian site despite the fact I've had mine for 6 weeks or so.
My bet is October.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
I just keep checking the android Play Store very week. Eventually it should appear. Poor that they are shipping bikes and app is not ready.

xxjagerxx

Oct 28, 2018
Portland Vic
Nice wheels Dave. I've been checking out all the big brand hard tails and the fathom 3 is ticking most of my boxes, hoping to pick one up next year. Should quite the upgrade from my 6 y.o hub driven.fish batt Chinese heap.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Nice wheels Dave. I've been checking out all the big brand hard tails and the fathom 3 is ticking most of my boxes, hoping to pick one up next year. Should quite the upgrade from my 6 y.o hub driven.fish batt Chinese heap.
Thanks!
Really liking this machine. So far it's serving me well. No issues, just the usual adjustments. The power available makes hills disappear, and it feels nicely balanced.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles