Giant Fathom +2 Pro - battery falling out

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Well it fell out and it has been back to the LBS to be fixed, but I'm worried that it will happen again, and I'd like some advice on how to fix it myself rather than taking the trip to the LBS.

Basically I was riding up a hill and the battery stopped providing power, although the lights on the ride control unit were on, so I took the battery out and put it back in again, all sorted. But a few minutes later on the same climb, going across a bumpy bit, the battery fell out, tipping forwards and onto my front wheel. Luckily I was able to stop without it falling onto the rocks and kept it balanced on my wheel until I was able to put it back in again. I carried on with my ride and there were no further problems.

But when I came to get the battery out, as I unlocked it, it fell straight out into my hand, instead of catching on the little latch above the battery.

I took the bike back to my LBS and they fixed the lock straight away, and it worked fine after that, but I've noticed that every now and again when I'm taking the battery out after a ride, the battery falls straight out instead of catching on the latch, so I'm worried that it will happen again.

Does anyone have any guidance on how I can tighten this up myself (instead of wasting my time and the guys at the LBS), it can't be difficult, but I'd prefer to have some advice before I start playing around with the latch / lock?

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Edit. Apologies, seems the Fathom E+ Pro might be different. Probably similar though.

Sounds like the latch is nowhere near adjusted correctly. Assuming it's the same as my Trance, there are 2x T25 Torx screws on the underside of the down tube which can be loosened and then the whole latch can be slid up and down. I've got mine in there really tight because I just charge the battery on the bike. There is a sweet spot where you can turn the key and it drops onto the secondary latch, then push the button and it drops out. The mechanism is design in a belt and braces type of way, I'm surprised it dropped out unless it hadn't been assembled correctly.

Last edited:

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Edit. Apologies, seems the Fathom E+ Pro might be different. Probably similar though.

Sounds like the latch is nowhere near adjusted correctly. Assuming it's the same as my Trance, there are 2x T25 Torx screws on the underside of the down tube which can be loosened and then the whole latch can be slid up and down. I've got mine in there really tight because I just charge the battery on the bike. There is a sweet spot where you can turn the key and it drops onto the secondary latch, then push the button and it drops out. The mechanism is design in a belt and braces type of way, I'm surprised it dropped out unless it hadn't been assembled correctly.
Cheers Ianv2, I was also surprised when the battery dropped out ? it worked fine for the best part of a year then it suddenly failed, I suspect that it was just the constant riding over bumpy / rocky trails has shaken something loose. I think the two bikes share the same downtube arrangement so I'll give this a go, thanks for the advice.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
There's also the Mr Bean type fix :ROFLMAO:

merida1.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles