Giant App Issues

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand
Chinese New Year at the moment, so make that 1.5 - 2.5 months to the next update ! Hopefully the "IT Department' are out riding their bikes during the Lunar holiday...

The Chinese New Year holiday must of enlightened the "IT Department"... they signed up here first day back after the Lunar holiday ? Maybe they discovered their app's short comings while out riding...

"你们谁写了这个该死的垃圾代码?"

pdgs

Oct 12, 2021
Austria
Thx @Rob Rides EMTB for updating us here, that an official Giant Listener is "here! > @Giant_Developer

So I try to summarize my feature requests again:
- the app should work "offline" too - without any mandatory internet connection to giants cloud services
- the user will be notified, that only bluetooth connections to the bikes are available
- now, a user/biker can change settings in the motor setup, even she/he does not have any inet nearby
or she/he don't want to roam expensive inet rates
Yes - in my area there are a lot of regions, were you have pure or no connectivity

For myself I don't use the routing function of the app - so I personally don't need this

Have all a nice day and safe rides in 2022!!!
Cheers,
Peter

Tourbiker

Dec 17, 2021
Netherlands
Today a new version of the app automatically installed on my phone.
IT IS GETTING EVEN WORSE !!
The previous registered bikes are disappeared in the app, it also cannot find the bikes anymore.
The good thing is, the app is now completely worthless and of no use and not able to brick your bike anymore :mad:.
The bikes still are detected by the phone however, so it is definitely an app issue.

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand
But you missed the most RELEVANT 'upgrade'... "Last but not least, we added a calories consumption and carbon reduction in your ride overview."

By co-incidence the Bikonnect-Ebike app from Microprogram was updated same day, so they might be the Giant app developers after all ?

Last edited:

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand
Dear Users,
Thank you for using RideControl App and sorry for all the issues you met.

Dear Giant RideControl App Developer ,

Another epic failure with latest version roll out, hastily replaced following day with 1.13.2.0 . Could I suggest a real world beta program for future releases using the tech savvy bike riders on this forum. It is your customers who drive real innovation in app development, not your coders who sit behind desks.

Giant's reputation gets worse and worse with each app failure and you need to dig deep and address the fundamental failures in the code. We all want improvements and here is your chance to harness real world experience from right across Giant's global sales footprint.

cochuck

Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
@Giant_Developer,

I've not used your app much mostly because to do almost anything with it, I must have it connected to my bike and my bike must be on. I can't plan or add a route from the couch, go kit up and ride so I never open your app. I use some other mapping tool if needed rendering your app a firmware update tool for the bike.

I second the requests for offline usage too, lots of places my bike can go has zero signal. I plan to take it there too.

I also second the beta program idea. Being a fellow developer, I would love to have this kind of access to actual end users. User experience is very important to an app like yours, almost moreso than feature set. We are out here if you're interested.

---

On UX related to my reasoning for not using the app - When I open the app it alerts me that bluetooth is not enabled, so I enable it. Click on plan feature, need to connect the bike first. Go to connect the bike, need to turn the bike on first. Go to the physical bike and turn it on. Wait for it to appear... oh ok there it is. Click the connect button......... oh ok there it's connected. Go back to the plan feature to finally see a map and plan something quickly before the bike shuts off!

This experience is not good. As a user...
  1. I should be able to open the app and plan, save, repeat routes without having to be anywhere near the bike itself.
  2. I should be given some notification in the interface when it's searching for devices.
  3. I should be able to see my previously recognized devices, even if they are not connected.
  4. I should be able to manage my previously recognized devices, even if they are not connected.
  5. I should be given a stronger notification in the interface when the app is connecting to a device.
  6. I should be able to set a default device, which when found, the app should automatically handle the connect process.
  7. I think the word "devices" is very generic and could have stronger branding with a more unique or industry term.
  8. I should be able to connect my bike to the app, and if connected, the bike shouldn't shut off.
  9. I only need to enable bluetooth when connecting a device, many app features don't require it so I shouldn't be alerted to enable it until needed, like for actually connecting a device.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Today the description has been updated:

"As you may have noticed the latest version of the app had an unexpected issue. This made it impossible to connect to your E-bike for some of you. Here’s a quick fix that should allow you to connect to your E-bike again and use it to its full potential. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Kolskis

Jul 4, 2021
Poland, Jelenia
On Sunday, the application forced me to update the bike. I didn't really want to, but I decided to connect BT to the bike (on ridedash evo - I'll have a watch ..... yes... watch) As you know, it won't work(connect) if you don't agree to the update. During the 1st update (Smart Gateway) everything stopped at 11%. End. Blackout.

At the moment I have a brick, not a bicycle. (there was no sunday ride)
Thank you giant. You are the best!

The bike is in the LBS and has to be repaired. SmartGateway module to be replaced. My bike has a 4 or 5 updates in this way, but this specific update kill my bike.
How does the company allow itself such underdeveloped software that it makes a brick of a product for 5000E? Idiots? What if I had no guarantee? Should I pay for their stupidity?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dear GIANT: if You want to keep my bike update, please, do it in service and NOT force updates via BT if you can't do it!
Yours faithfully, dissatisfied customer.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Version 1.13.2 for iPhone not released in Canada (yet)... Really sorry for those who are having issues, this is not acceptable. While visiting my 1.13.1 app, I checked Giant's Privacy policy, what exactly are they tracking, my initial thought was for Bike-motor-app performance improvements, it seems they want more than that.
Screenshot taken today 🙁
Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 8.07.46 AM.png

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
When the gateway fails during an update, there seems no decent way to reset it, except letting it sit two days with the battery out.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Version 1.13.2 for iPhone not released in Canada (yet)... Really sorry for those who are having issues, this is not acceptable. While visiting my 1.13.1 app, I checked Giant's Privacy policy, what exactly are they tracking, my initial thought was for Bike-motor-app performance improvements, it seems they want more than that.
Screenshot taken today 🙁 View attachment 83070
I have uninstalled the app.🤫

Kolskis

Jul 4, 2021
Poland, Jelenia
When the gateway fails during an update, there seems no decent way to reset it, except letting it sit two days with the battery out.
Seriously?
At the moment, the bike is under warranty repair. They are to replace the Smart Gateway board because it is allegedly damaged. (they said)
Maybe they off battery (for two days)and bike will RISE like a Fenix :)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Mine own experience, as well as other anecdotal reports, also this was told me directly from my dealer- Let the gateway sit, with no power, for unspecified amount of time and, it will reset and boot-load again.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Mine own experience, as well as other anecdotal reports, also this was told me directly from my dealer- Let the gateway sit, with no power, for unspecified amount of time and, it will reset and boot-load again.

I did it 3 times already. Ones on purpose. It takes about 12 -24 hours.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
it means that you have failed to update your bike 3 times?

No. Update was fine. It was the change in the brightness settings that bricked the bike. But it doesn't matter. It goes to the same unusable state that gets resolved with time. You can speed it up by clicking like monkey and turning the bike off and on many many times. Worked for me. Primitive hacking. After last firmware update brightness change works.

Kolskis

Jul 4, 2021
Poland, Jelenia
I got info(call) from my LBS; My bike is repaired. SG board was replaced. :)
I talked to a technician(a good technician from this place!!!), he laughed when I said that you write that you need to cut the power supply for 48h. He also said, this method only work when you put the battery in the fridge. And laugh again.

So I'm picking up the bike tomorrow.

The question is, does this solve all our problems? For example, in 2 months will I not get the next update via OTA that will kill my bike ... As long as it is under warranty - it hurts less. But then, I don't know what then .... @Giant_Developer do something. For start, stop FORCE update.
When You not sure to this ... send me a letter ;-) and i will go with bike to LBS for update. I can even pay 1 000 000 Rubles for this service!
Reg. Greg.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Screenshot taken today 🙁

Let's see. Personal identifiers are needed for account and login. Personal details - ok, this is probably all not needed, but you can enter what you want. If the app calculates calories, etc some of this info is required. Travel - if you want to record your rides this is required. Lifestyle - not sure about this one - maintenance and repair - is that about the bike or me :-D ?

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Let's see. Personal identifiers are needed for account and login. Personal details - ok, this is probably all not needed, but you can enter what you want. If the app calculates calories, etc some of this info is required. Travel - if you want to record your rides this is required. Lifestyle - not sure about this one - maintenance and repair - is that about the bike or me :-D ?
Personal identifiers, including but not limited to: names, account names of Facebook, Google or Apple, phone numbers, home addresses, photos, e-mail addresses, electronic signatures… YIKES!
Wonder what they need these for?

pdgs

Oct 12, 2021
Austria
@Giant_Developer ..... any news or updates on all our requests?

I tried the following on weekend, which worked with an older version of ride-control:
- starting the app with internet-connectivity (Version 1.13.1)
- went to the cellar (no connectivity)
- tried to connect via blue-tooth to the bike
- DID NOT WORK

Seems, that the app tried to reach any web-service, while connecting a bike via blue-tooth!

PLEASE - fix this soon!
There are a lot of Giant riders, who record their rides with GPS devices from under vendors - not with the app.
They only need "blue-tooth" to configure the bike settings and sometimes to update the bike!

Updating the bike should also be an un-forced option!
Any developer should know what "backward compatibility" means :cool:

For now I disabled my auto-update feature on my mobile device, because right now Giant does not support any "backward compatibility"!

SB9806

Feb 26, 2022
West Midlands
Good afternoon all,

I hope we’re all well. Is anyone able to see the bikes odometer in the app?

A couple weeks back when I last used the app, it was there to see near the battery percentage, however after yesterdays ride, I load the app to see how many KMs the bike had done and nothing? It’s nowhere to be seen?

I haven’t used to app to record a ride, I literally only use it to see percentage and the bikes total KM.

Does anyone else have this problem? I have deleted my account, re registered, re installed the app, reinstalled the battery, rebooted my phone. Nothing, odometer nowhere to be seen

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Still there in Ebike setup -> Bike details
Total mileage & Distance since last service (which in my case is the same), never recorded a ride either. I don’t think this odo reading is very accurate though. iPhone with latest RideControl app version.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My dealer was shown this last week, by a Giant rep of some sort. She's telling me, it will fill the black hole left by Ridecontrol, and that its being developed by Stages.

1648843339301.jpg

1648843344567.jpg

This is an ebike interface if I've ever seen one eh?
Screenshot_20220402-092411_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Giant DASH L200 2.7" GPS Computer AUD455. Ridiculous over priced bit of kit. Maybe the M200 is the ebike version and an 'optional extra'. Maybe copying Yamaha Bicycles by supplying just a computer and that's all.
From what I can find online, the new computer has been developed by Stages for Giant in collaboration with Giants Factory Team. The L or the M seems to indicate the display type.

The pics I've seen of the display, all show ebike data, and this makes me hopeful, that the ebike data feilds will be accurate. Am I a fool, or what! <-Not a question.

If, Gaint has partnered with Stages, a cycling computer developer, using data and interface critique coming from a professional racing team, it's gotta be better than RideControl LOL.

This new Dash 200 may explain why Ridecontrol is so bad at being a cycling computer. Have Giant scaled back with app development, in favor of selling hardware? I hope so... I hate my phone as it's trying to be too many things already. RideControl could be repurposed to a "settings and firmware-update only" tool.

But the Dash better work! Once launched, Giant Dash 200 will be a cycling computer specifically developed and sold by Giant for Giant's ebikes and non-ebikes alike. The specifications of the device alone will give the consumer some guarantees of functionality and accuracy where ebike data fields are the topic.

The dealer could easily toss a dash into the mix on NewBikeDay.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Have Giant scaled back with app development, in favor of selling hardware?
I hope not... Don't want to add a screen on the bike. Don't really care about any info other than precise battery level. RideControl as a firmware update & diagnostics tool 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles