Giant App Issues

Heems

May 4, 2022
California, US
I have had two rides so far where I used the app to record the ride. I noticed that both rides show the app disconnecting from the bike at around 5-6 miles. Can’t be a coincidence I figure. Anyone else experience this? I have an iPhone. Is Bluetooth timing out or a bug with the bike gateway?

D185374C-AB54-4AEF-B809-633A456A418E.png
8244B430-8011-4B6A-A305-C58DF73D4D50.png

Heems

May 4, 2022
California, US
Reading other people's posts I think you need to have good 3g/4g or WiFi for it to work.

I should have read the thread 🥴 ... literally 3rd post (Giant App Issues - EMTB Forums) says that if you leave the BT range and come back in it won't reconnect automatically. I stopped a couple places to take pictures of the bike and while not too far (6-10ft) it's possible BT was deemed as out of range. Mostly likely solves the mystery.. although @Giant_Developer a solution for the app to reconnect while running/recording would be great if possible.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Hopefully the super twitchy feel when stationery and foot on pedal gets some love. Maybe it won't hahah
I doubt it, as Yamaha call this feature 'Zero Cadence Technology' and has been kept on the new PW-X3 motor.
To quote the Yamaha-Motor.com website blurb, 'Fundamental design choices create the distinctive feature of providing instant support with full torque immediately after pressure is applied to the pedal, not after certain crank turn.'
ICYDK you should keep your feet off the pedals when switching on as it can confuse the torque sensor and you'll find assistance is reduced.

Last edited:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
That zero cadence feature is great for starting in rough, uphill, areas. It’s not like the bike will put itself through a wall, like a misprogrammed Bafang motor. Dumbing it down for users who don’t learn how to use their equipment would be a mistake.

whayze

Jun 7, 2022
Auckland
I note the app updated on my iPhone a few days ago and now it’s just crashes on opening. Luckily I’ve managed to ride with no issues but frustrating I can’t see the battery % or change riding modes etc

Pretty poor form..

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Well, I’ve looked at the CANBUS traffic on these GIANT bikes. They have 21 message types compared to specialized having 12 or so during normal use I imagine the firmware is a big mess. Properly distilling and consolidating messages at their origin makes the whole bike control layer and app development much easier. I’m guessing that the app has to deal with a mess under the covers. This is particularly ironic since Giant claims their software and firmware is their value add. My Haibike with plain Yamaha operates without a glitch.

xjoeabc3x

Feb 8, 2022
Taiwan
I note the app updated on my iPhone a few days ago and now it’s just crashes on opening. Luckily I’ve managed to ride with no issues but frustrating I can’t see the battery % or change riding modes etc

Pretty poor form..
Can you tell more detail about crashes?

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
I keep checking back here to see if the app issues have been resolved. Still seems like a joke so won't be using it any time soon, or ever.

YuriyIF

Aug 21, 2022
Ukraine
Hi! My RideControl app update my Ride Control Charge to the 20220422000 software version, and every time when i turn on my bike, light turn automaticly on, and dont save my ride setting (after turned RideControl set the normal mode, and i must re set eco mode. it's uncomfortable) How can i with RideControl app install old version, or make Factory Reset.

Last edited:

stipl

Mar 23, 2023
De rips
Hi,

If anyone has issues with their Giant App / Bike, please can you detail it here? I'll forward all the details to Giant direct. Please be as specific as possible which may help pinpoint the issue easier.

Thanks
Rob.
Hello,

Im having issues with the giant e bike app, zo what happens is when i connect to my bike it asks me i need to update the bluetooth module so when i try to do that it Will load for a few seconde and then Just closes the app, and sometimes it Will say there is a bug and says i need to wait for the developer to fix it.
So if you recognise this error im pleased to know what can fix it

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
My second Giant, a new Trance E+1, and still after more than two years the app is useless, in fact worse than ever. It won't connect to either bike without an update, yet the update always fails. I pretty much will never use the app once again for fear it will brick the bike.

Screenshot_20231224-124358.png

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
My second Giant, a new Trance E+1, and still after more than two years the app is useless, in fact worse than ever. It won't connect to either bike without an update, yet the update always fails. I pretty much will never use the app once again for fear it will brick the bike.

View attachment 131135
I never tried it but someone suggested that going into airplane mode and only letting the app to use Bluetooth causes the app to start without trying to update. Try to find this info on this forum.

Regarding updating. Even after your warrantee/guarantee period simply go to your giant shop and ask for help with the update. This is the power of direct sales. They should still help you.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
my bike is Bosch Smart System....previously I had a Levo. On both I used the relevant app to set the bike up as I want initially then never touched it again!! The apps get more and more complex in an attempt to add more features, most of which hold no interest for me and as someone who spent a career in IT I would not trust blutooth for file transfer any further than I could throw it!! I dont need an app recording my rides, I use Strava. I dont need navigation.....if I did I would use my phone running Komoot, I dont need stats.........I know when I'm knackered!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles