Giant App Issues

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I never even open the app now, no need for it, I got a Garmim Edge 130 plus, the cheapest one with ANT+ and it shows all I need with instant startup. I recommend this to everyone.
You can show more or less fields.
Garmin records your ride FAR better in every detail too. I used to feel a bit annoyed about my bike before this, but now never even think about the app. It's replaced as far as I'm concerned.
App field is Ebike Field

View attachment 79857
I do this too. But it does Not report the second Plus battery or current wattage consumption, or allow you to set ride levels. If you borrow a Levo for a few hours you will see what should be there. It’s no more effort for them to do this right, since the App is heavily promoted along with the bike. Having all wrong values for things is no doubt someone in mgmt saying to just ship it and be done with it. Oh well.

Alkers

Aug 12, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
The distance traveled reported by the app is not reasonable. My app says the bike has gone 97 miles, but I haven't been able to ride it enough to get that kind of mileage. I'd guess I have less than half the reported mileage. Any ideas how to fix this?
Post from the app to Strava and it might show true values. Mine does

offroad

Dec 29, 2021
Wanaka, New Zealand
Someone previously suggested posting comments to the Appstore, app-support@giant…. so they could respond directly. I did this but, no response so far.

I sent an email too and it went to Giant UK, who then sent it to Giant Australia. Neither are the app developers so that was a waste of time. It needs to go to Taiwan. Bikonnect / Micro Program might be the third party developer:

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
To be fair, my impression is the app has been performing better lately, data reported seems more accurate and matches that shown by Strava. I am not sure what has changed as to my knowledge there have been no updates but whatever it is, I'll take it :)

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Software developed in Taiwan explains it. No doubt Taiwan is the place to go to have quality frames made but you’d be hard pressed to find Outback mountain bike riders who would have the intuition necessary to design this user part of the software. Sticking a spec in front of some office dweller developers gets you this. They would not know that showing like 50 watts human effort is all wrong. I’ve been down this road in project management.
I agree totally, what I struggle to understand is how Giant, clearly a passionate cycling company, could allow such a SNAFU to happpen. My best guess, certian to be 100% wrong, is that there is some serious anti-ebike bias in the higher altitude offices of Giant's corporate complex, and they simply can't see what's possible. Somebody is missing an entire paradigm shift because of bias.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree totally, what I struggle to understand is how Giant, clearly a passionate cycling company, could allow such a SNAFU to happpen. My best guess, certian to be 100% wrong, is that there is some serious anti-ebike bias in the higher altitude offices of Giant's corporate complex, and they simply can't see what's possible. Somebody is missing an entire paradigm shift because of bias.
Giant in common with other major bike brands have as their core business ( and therefore experience and competence) the design and manufacture of bike frames..........yes frames not complete bikes even given that all other components to make up a complete bike are 3rd party. Those 3rd party suppliers require fairly minimal integration with the business of bike design so that partnership works.
Now we come to E bikes and major bike brands have taken a couple of different approaches to integrating 3rd party components such as motor, batteries , controllers and sensors. The most reliably strategy likely the one that requires only the minimum of integration whilst leaving the entire design of those elements where the expertise lies.....Bosch, Brose, Shimano.
So then we come to software. There are 2 elements here. There is a minimum requirement for software to control the electrical components and that is invariably an integral part of the 3rd party supplied equiment. Then there is software that additional to that basic requirement, and that involves external communications whether that is blutooth, GPS, Wifi, 2g/3g/4g, Android, IOS, Windows. Now we enter a field of expertise that neither the Bike brands or the electrical component suppliers have!! Indeed neither are even likely to be able to have any meaningful discussions with organisations or individuals who do have that expertise.

In short, where the Bike Brands have moved from well established electronic control systems ( torque sensors, speed sensors, electricaql control units, basic information displays) to the field of IT, they are working well beyond the realms of competence of their own organisations and that of their suppliers. Until and unless a brand lists an IT organisation of repute responsible for its IT implementation I would avoid it!!

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Giant in common with other major bike brands have as their core business ( and therefore experience and competence) the design and manufacture of bike frames..........yes frames not complete bikes even given that all other components to make up a complete bike are 3rd party. Those 3rd party suppliers require fairly minimal integration with the business of bike design so that partnership works.
Now we come to E bikes and major bike brands have taken a couple of different approaches to integrating 3rd party components such as motor, batteries , controllers and sensors. The most reliably strategy likely the one that requires only the minimum of integration whilst leaving the entire design of those elements where the expertise lies.....Bosch, Brose, Shimano.
So then we come to software. There are 2 elements here. There is a minimum requirement for software to control the electrical components and that is invariably an integral part of the 3rd party supplied equiment. Then there is software that additional to that basic requirement, and that involves external communications whether that is blutooth, GPS, Wifi, 2g/3g/4g, Android, IOS, Windows. Now we enter a field of expertise that neither the Bike brands or the electrical component suppliers have!! Indeed neither are even likely to be able to have any meaningful discussions with organisations or individuals who do have that expertise.

In short, where the Bike Brands have moved from well established electronic control systems ( torque sensors, speed sensors, electricaql control units, basic information displays) to the field of IT, they are working well beyond the realms of competence of their own organisations and that of their suppliers. Until and unless a brand lists an IT organisation of repute responsible for its IT implementation I would avoid it!!
Partially agree. Specialized has this software done to a very high standard. They get it. This video shows a very distinct deign team.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Partially agree. Specialized has this software done to a very high standard. They get it. This video shows a very distinct deign team.
yes Specialized did a decent job and a couple of years a go as well. It may be that they had no choice since they opted to take a motor from Brose and design their own control software. Things are ( were?) different for Bosch equipped bikes with Bosch being a closed and complete system. Not sure where Shimano or Yamaha equipped bikes stand in that respect. You can understand the motor brands wanting to protect the reputation of their product which could be damaged by poor software implementation. On the other hand we now have Orbea with a specific version of the EP8 and Giant with a specific version or development of the Yamaha motor.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
yes Specialized did a decent job and a couple of years a go as well. It may be that they had no choice since they opted to take a motor from Brose and design their own control software. Things are ( were?) different for Bosch equipped bikes with Bosch being a closed and complete system. Not sure where Shimano or Yamaha equipped bikes stand in that respect. You can understand the motor brands wanting to protect the reputation of their product which could be damaged by poor software implementation. On the other hand we now have Orbea with a specific version of the EP8 and Giant with a specific version or development of the Yamaha motor.
Yes Spec started with just a Brose motor, that lasted 100 miles before it blew its cookies. Hoping my 21 has this sorted out. Seems like they’ve worked hard at improving it. My problem is figuring which bike I ride and which ones my adult kids ride.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

A partnership with Garmin, as Giant has with Yamaha, would seem a nice start towards getting the discussions going. I deal with an IT department almost daily, and I'm not sure the answer lies with this bunch🤓

pdgs

Oct 12, 2021
Austria
Had also "troubles" with the 1.8.x version!
I've sent all my notes to our local Giant Team in Austria ([email protected])
They asked me to put the things also in the app-store.
There - Nothing happened.

I don't use the app for recording my tours - for such things I use Garmin 830 instead.
Will check the new version soon.

I also do not understand, that the app needs an internet connection fot changing the assistence level.

The WATTS values are very low too.
I'm quiet fit and 80% of my usage I ride with eco mode - 75
10% with BASIC 125
10% with ACTIVE 200 - very hard conditions

Tested new app version last weekend in my cellar - without connectivity!
Result: forget it - you can't start the new app without internet connection
That's crap!
When I started the old version "with" internet-connection, I could use it in the cellar with blue-tooth only.
Now even that workaround does not work --- please hold me back using the f* word :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A partnership with Garmin, as Giant has with Yamaha, would seem a nice start towards getting the discussions going. I deal with an IT department almost daily, and I'm not sure the answer lies with this bunch🤓
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I assume you are referring to a department in a company responsible for keeping your PCs running.............and yes they call themselves an IT Department!!

I am referring to an organisation that designs and implements IT systems and that would include web based applications with APIs capable of accepting multiple communications protocols as well as software development of, and integration with, user hardware, and preferably experienced in the field of GPS capture. As someone suggested an organisation like Garmin or one of its many competitors would be the right type of organisation. The E Bike market if not the EMTB market on its own is probably big enough now to interest one of those players.

Jafajones

Jan 7, 2022
New Zealand
To be fair, my impression is the app has been performing better lately, data reported seems more accurate and matches that shown by Strava. I am not sure what has changed as to my knowledge there have been no updates but whatever it is, I'll take it :)
A reality check :-( I borrowed a Garmin 530 to get a further read on the numbers being put out by my RideControl/Strava (which seem to match but in reality no surprises considering that the RideControl is the source). Giant App / Strava as attached shows speed 16.4 and 51Ks max (v unlikely), Garmin 530 shows 15.7 and 32.9 max. This is clearly correct so I take back my previous comment that the Giant App data seems more accurate!!

Capture.JPG

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Is the app improving? Now when I have my new bike I would like to update it (Maybe fixes my ANT+ lag issue) but I'm afraid of messing stuff up.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
Looking at the AppStore it looks like it’s 1-2 months between updates. Feels very slow should be at least monthly. I will stay away a while longer. Will be interesting to hear if Giant left a comment to Rob to talk about in the review. If you can’t do a good app just skip the app totally.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Looking at the AppStore it looks like it’s 1-2 months between updates. Feels very slow should be at least monthly. I will stay away a while longer. Will be interesting to hear if Giant left a comment to Rob to talk about in the review. If you can’t do a good app just skip the app totally.
Read the user reviews for the app in the Google Play Store. Most of them still give it one star, only because they can't give it a 0 stars.
I have had the new app since it was released and every update seems to stop more parts of it from working.
The only thing it is used for now is adjusting the power settings.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi,

If anyone has issues with their Giant App / Bike, please can you detail it here? I'll forward all the details to Giant direct. Please be as specific as possible which may help pinpoint the issue easier.

Thanks
Rob.
This might sounds weird for a person your age.
I started pedaling my red/white tricycle 62 years ago.
I do not have any phone since 2000, just my 11YO laptop.
This is my third Ebike.
I never do updates.
Am i being smart?
I have read some updates have bugs.
My 2021 Stance E+ runs perfect since i got it 3 months ago.
Will it self destruct in 9 months because i just pedal and charge?
Or should i ask my LBS to save me and do my updates?
No need to worry i just changed my chain

Giant_Developer

Official Giant
Feb 8, 2022
Taiwan
Dear Users,

Thank you for using RideControl App and sorry for all the issues you met. All of the issues(including Mail, App Store/Google Play reply, other forum, etc.) will be collected and scheduled into our work-list. We'll fix these step by step, furthermore , we are working on new features and will be presented in the near future.

Best Regards,
Giant RideControl App Developer.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Dear Users,

Thank you for using RideControl App and sorry for all the issues you met. All of the issues(including Mail, App Store/Google Play reply, other forum, etc.) will be collected and scheduled into our work-list. We'll fix these step by step, furthermore , we are working on new features and will be presented in the near future.

Best Regards,

Is it safe to update the app now or to change ride control brightness? The biggest problem was that updating the app or changing ride control brightness settings cause the bicycle to go in forever restart loop.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
This might sounds weird for a person your age.
I started pedaling my red/white tricycle 62 years ago.
I do not have any phone since 2000, just my 11YO laptop.
This is my third Ebike.
I never do updates.
Am i being smart?
I have read some updates have bugs.
My 2021 Stance E+ runs perfect since i got it 3 months ago.
Will it self destruct in 9 months because i just pedal and charge?
Or should i ask my LBS to save me and do my updates?
No need to worry i just changed my chain
I’m the same age. If you were to use the Soecialized app or BLEvo you’d see the value. Those apps show you important information on your effort vs the motor, and whether you are riding at an efficient cadence, etc. Eventually you get the hang of things and stop obsessing over data and just ride. So, Giant has the same info buried in their data feed and has the same opportunity to create a world class app with the same effort.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Dear Users,

Best Regards,
Thanks for your response. One way to give Giant the best interface in the industry would be to open up the API. Specialized (inadvertently via BLE) did this in the beginning, but they closed it this year. Publishing the bluetooth spec would allow customers to use the Giant app or third party add ons. Have a look at how Sony blew away the competition by publishing the spec for its camera lenses, as an example of how this could benefit Giant and its customers.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Update on my experience with an app. I was one of the people affected by the bike "freeze". When trying to change the brightness of the battery/assist indicator (RideConrol Go) the bike was frozen for next 24-48 hours.

I updated the firmware of the bike today. There were 2 updates. I don't remember what the update procedure said exactly but I think one of the updates was for RideControl Go. The status is that everything works now. Without freezing.

A word of warning to all. The app has build in feature that will prevent you from using it if the firmware is outdated. I think it's a clever feature but it doesn't work. Sometimes it will let you to use the bike without an update. This happened today. After the 1st update (not RideControl Go) I was able to use the app. Fortunately I didn't try to change the brightness settings. Only after turning the app off (kill) and on again, it suggested a 2nd update (RideContol Go). In short. Expect more than one update.

As for functionality. I wold LOVE to be able to be able to have a walk assist on the lower button. But it is ONLY possible if the lower button is assigned as "gear up" which is far from perfect. Please @Giant_Developer introduce a new setting to allow us to define which button is the button that is used for keeping the walk assist active. Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles