Getto Torque Wrench

Slideways

Dec 24, 2018
SoCal
I'll be replacing the belt on a Brose 1.2S motor soon and am seeking specific advice. The folks at Brose are quite firm that the torque on the set screw that sets the tension of the belt tension pulley he set to their spec. That torque value is 0.2Nm (1.77in/pds). My inch pound torque wrenches start at 40 in/pds and some quick searching for a tool that reads that low turned up nothing but really expensive options. I have no interest in spending lots for a tool that will likely be used only two or three times. Reaching back to my school days and recalling basic physics class lead me to a cheap way to solve this twisting problem. My hope is someone truely knowledgeable in these things will confirm if my idea will work and if my calculations are correct.

Here goes. In layman terms torque is force on a moment arm. An inch pound, if I understand, is a pound acting perpendicular to a lever at one inch out from a center of rotation. With this in mind I figure a 200gm weight hung 4 inches from center of the set screw will do the trick. I cut an Allen wrench so it extended out from the set screw just enough to clear the motor case. Next at 4 inches out from center of the short end of the wrench a small groove was made. Now a 200gm weight (a small bag with pennies) is hung from the wrench. I can pick up the motor and rotate it until the tension on the set screw causes the Allen to rotate up to a horizontal position and stay there. All right smart people is this going to work? Thanks in advance.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
Y'all should have a small Torque Wrench - I use mine at least a couple times a month.
Cheapie
Not sensitive enough. Best if the specified value falls midrange on the tools torque range...especially on something as finicky as this. There are some torque screwdrivers out there in the $50 range but would you trust them? Capri tools sells a quality looking driver on Amazon for $114 with a perfect torque range...from .5 to 6 inch pounds.
BTW, I seem to recall the belt setting was 0.25 to 0.3 Nm...I need to review "Bearing Man" video on Brose rebuild.
Sorry, I can't answer the ghetto question but it is interesting.(y)
The math looks right...I think. :unsure:
Check this post:
Brose S and T overhaul video done at last!

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not sensitive enough. Best if the specified value falls midrange on the tools torque range...especially on something as finicky as this. There are some torque screwdrivers out there in the $50 range but would you trust them? Capri tools sells a quality looking driver on Amazon for $114 with a perfect torque range...from .5 to 6 inch pounds.
BTW, I seem to recall the belt setting was 0.25 to 0.3 Nm...I need to review "Bearing Man" video on Brose rebuild.
Sorry, I can't answer the ghetto question but it is interesting.(y)
The math looks right...I think. :unsure:
Check this post:
Brose S and T overhaul video done at last!

I think your link edit went funny .... the link again :

Brose S and T overhaul video done at last! - EMTB Forums

Slideways

Dec 24, 2018
SoCal
I worked it out and got 0.1994Nm.
Close enough for government work I guess. :)
Well there is the weight of the long arm of the Allen wrench which I imagine factors in somehow but that calculation is above my pay grade. I weighed the wire I used to hang the pennies as well as the little bag and the pennies. I used pennies because I could get really cost to the desired weight.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well there is the weight of the long arm of the Allen wrench which I imagine factors in somehow but that calculation is above my pay grade. I weighed the wire I used to hang the pennies as well as the little bag and the pennies. I used pennies because I could get really cost to the desired weight.

I'm getting the feeling that beneath all this, your subconscious just isn't happy with the idea of spending Supermarket Bicycle money on a tiny spanner/screwdriver which clicks :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm getting the feeling that beneath all this, your subconscious just isn't happy with the idea of spending Supermarket Bicycle money on a tiny spanner/screwdriver which clicks :)

Trouble is that 0.2Nm or 1.77 inch pounds is just a tiny bit more than finger tight!
But whose fingers? And when? (before or after a good night out?). And how much is "a tiny bit more"?

If it is crucial, I would have more faith in Slideways method than a torque wrench working accurately enough at that level. It would need to be kept in a clean grease proof bag and not left knocking about in my toolbox to be sure of retaining its accuracy.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
It seems to me that this setting, if finite, would require readjustment very soon after the belt is broken in and stretched out via stress & temperature but what do I know?? :unsure:
My Levo emits a whine noise when the motor is above 105 degrees F and climbing but my wife's Levo can barely be heard even with my 205 lbs aboard.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Y'all should have a small Torque Wrench - I use mine at least a couple times a month.
Cheapie

Like many riders, I have a torque wrench with a similar range to the one your link points to. The problem is that its lowest setting is 2Nm. The OP (Slidways) needs something that is one tenth of that! (ie 0.2Nm)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'll be replacing the belt on a Brose 1.2S motor soon and am seeking specific advice. The folks at Brose are quite firm that the torque on the set screw that sets the tension of the belt tension pulley he set to their spec. That torque value is 0.2Nm (1.77in/pds). My inch pound torque wrenches start at 40 in/pds and some quick searching for a tool that reads that low turned up nothing but really expensive options. I have no interest in spending lots for a tool that will likely be used only two or three times. Reaching back to my school days and recalling basic physics class lead me to a cheap way to solve this twisting problem. My hope is someone truely knowledgeable in these things will confirm if my idea will work and if my calculations are correct.

Here goes. In layman terms torque is force on a moment arm. An inch pound, if I understand, is a pound acting perpendicular to a lever at one inch out from a center of rotation. With this in mind I figure a 200gm weight hung 4 inches from center of the set screw will do the trick. I cut an Allen wrench so it extended out from the set screw just enough to clear the motor case. Next at 4 inches out from center of the short end of the wrench a small groove was made. Now a 200gm weight (a small bag with pennies) is hung from the wrench. I can pick up the motor and rotate it until the tension on the set screw causes the Allen to rotate up to a horizontal position and stay there. All right smart people is this going to work? Thanks in advance.
Think you need to recount that one mate ???

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Personally I think torque settings that low are a nonsense. Few torque wrenches are accurate to within those small margins...or stay accurate over time with use and with temperature variation and most fixings take extra torque to initiate movement. Brose would be better merely stating how many turns on the screw ( better still how much deflection on the belt except the belt is hidden when the torque is applied!). Most belts drives in cars for example are tensioned just sufficient to remove free play and prevent it jumping...…..these days that is done by hydraulic pressure rather than a manual adjustment. If there is a way to do it I would be inclined to tension by eye/feel.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My mechanical engineering apprenticeship calibrated me on steel, cast iron and aluminium alloy. It helps that the relevant hand tools are sized to help with the application of the correct torque. I gave up when I bought my first carbon fibre component (bars). The torque required was smaller than that for anything I was used to and the consequences of getting it wrong were unpleasant. So I bought a torque wrench. The problem is that the wrench handles are so big that they remove all the feel from what I'm doing. I just have to trust the wrench! :unsure:

And why aren't they all made so that they can go clockwise or anticlockwise. The first wrench I bought even had that little lever to switch the ratchet over. The first time I worked on my pedals, I used the lever to tighten a left-hand thread and irretrievably damaged the torque wrench. (Rant over!) :(

Edit: It was only when I broke it that I discovered that the small print said right hand threads only. So why make it capable of winding anticlockwise, with a reversible ratchet? :mad:

Last edited:

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
(y)Potentially great find Zimmer!
Looks almost exactly like the one I referenced in post #3 above at 60% of the cost...which one is the "knock-off" or is it a private labeling arrangement? Nice looking tool and with "free returns" could be the less risky investment. I'll risk it when the time comes for a new belt out of warranty.

CAPRI TOOLS: Model # CP21075S via Amazon USA (Link will not copy/paste to UK site??)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
(y)Potentially great find Zimmer!
Looks almost exactly like the one I referenced in post #3 above at 60% of the cost...which one is the "knock-off" or is it a private labeling arrangement? Nice looking tool and with "free returns" could be the less risky investment. I'll risk it when the time comes for a new belt out of warranty.

CAPRI TOOLS: Model # CP21075S via Amazon USA (Link will not copy/paste to UK site??)

www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-Screwdriver-inch-pounds-inch-pound/dp/B07C3HW56N/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=CAPRI+TOOLS%3A+Model+%23+CP21075S&qid=1574965536&sr=8-1-fkmr0

You need to remove the "https://" or it tries to be clever lately, for some reason, and screws up some of the links ...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes need 3 different wrenches great big one for the crank . I've managed with out since 86 so unless I get one for Xmas not be bothering. I've got my helmet on for the onslaught.

Slideways

Dec 24, 2018
SoCal
The best torque spec I ever heard of came to me from a customer care rep at SRAM. She was someone whose advice was always spot on so it was with some surprise when she answered my question about the torque spec of a certain crank. Her answer was RFT... There was a pregnant pause while my slow brain figured it out then I couldn’t stop laughing. Been using it ever since.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
How bout this:

www.amazon.com/Gedore-PGNS-1-5-FS-Screwdriver/dp/B06XPXH8GH/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=0.2+nm+torque+wrench&qid=1575001871&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-12
Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.37.24 pm.png

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How bout this:

Tried to post the link but it doesn't appear if not altered. Is Amazon banned here???

You'll need to replace *AMAZON* with amazon.

https://www.*AMAZON*.com/Gedore-PGNS-1-5-FS-Screwdriver/dp/B06XPXH8GH/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=0.2+nm+torque+wrench&qid=1575001871&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-12
View attachment 22259

Nope .. for some reason the forum keeps trying to be clever and change the hyperlinks into media, so you have to delete the "https://" and then it works as a link.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The best torque spec I ever heard of came to me from a customer care rep at SRAM. She was someone whose advice was always spot on so it was with some surprise when she answered my question about the torque spec of a certain crank. Her answer was RFT... There was a pregnant pause while my slow brain figured it out then I couldn’t stop laughing. Been using it ever since.
Exactly touch wood never had one come off yet. You know as soon as you take one off that it was RFT ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles