Garmin make a U turn problem!

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've been using my Garmin 830 for adventures lately , sticking in the mileage and letting it work out a route.
I spent 10 minuets today riding off my drive down the hill, up the hill round the bend over the park back to my drive all following the do a U turn instructions on the screen :rolleyes:

Once on route its fine but if you miss a turning its back to the same ridiculous U turn instructions accompanied by a finish flag, I think its taking me back to the point and beyond where the mistake was but its enough to think fook this I will go my own route and forget the adventure :(

How the hell do I get round this and that stupid line on the screen that plots my previous route that has me in a million squiggles 1 mile from my drive lol.
I did dig the manual out an hour ago but decided it would easier to crack open another can and ask the enlightened.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
My Edge 1000 only plays nicely when I switch off auto-recalculate. Otherwise it's exploding brain time...

Reactions: mak

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How the hell do I get round this

tenor.gif

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Does anyone no how to turn of the history line? When your following a course it leaves a colour trail behind showing where you have been on the screen, I am sure it didn't used to be there but I cant find any setting to remove it. Maybe its always been there?

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I had better results using iphone and app trailforks than garmin to find routes even on very isolated regions. Also strava gives better routing information. The garmin would have gone when I last donated old bikeparts if it wasn’t for the heart rate monitor wich now I use to try to keep rpm higher than bpm.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've been using my Garmin 830 for adventures lately , sticking in the mileage and letting it work out a route.
I spent 10 minuets today riding off my drive down the hill, up the hill round the bend over the park back to my drive all following the do a U turn instructions on the screen :rolleyes:

I had this when doing a 22 mile route round Glentannar. I could see on the map I was following the correct route, but I carried on for about 7 miles until the ‘Do a U-Turn’ instruction went away.

It usually happens to me when the path you’re on crosses over one you’ve been on - and it confuses the hell out of it. I wish the route had arrows on it for this reason!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Komoot also has the "U Turn" command if you start to go off course.......but it also tells you you have left what it calls the "Tour". Usually it is better to take a look at the map on the phone when this happens to see exactly where you left the Tour. I have to say that Komoot is darned good even on open terrain with multiple rabbit tracks all over the place. The only thing you have to get used to with Komoot is that provided you are on the Tour the charming lady with a slight Irish accent stays silent only speaking up when there is a definite turn to make. One big mistake I made when I first started using Komoot was when I wanted to ride a tour for a second time I used my saved Tour instead of the original downloaded tour..........my saved tour of course included all the times I went wrong and off the planned route the first time around!!

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Komoot also has the "U Turn" command if you start to go off course.......but it also tells you you have left what it calls the "Tour". Usually it is better to take a look at the map on the phone when this happens to see exactly where you left the Tour. I have to say that Komoot is darned good even on open terrain with multiple rabbit tracks all over the place. The only thing you have to get used to with Komoot is that provided you are on the Tour the charming lady with a slight Irish accent stays silent only speaking up when there is a definite turn to make. One big mistake I made when I first started using Komoot was when I wanted to ride a tour for a second time I used my saved Tour instead of the original downloaded tour..........my saved tour of course included all the times I went wrong and off the planned route the first time around!!
How do you use kamoot, on your phone or you use it with a Garmin?

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
On the 800 you can set it to avoid u turns menu-settings?-system-routing-avoidance setup

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I must be a sucker for this U turn thing, I've just unboxed my Fenix 6 pro for more Garmin fun (y) . You gotta love gadgets.
I think between my 830 and this Fenix 6 I probably wont actually leave my drive :eek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles