Garmin 830 Question

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Hey all

I am in the process of pulling the trigger on a Garmin 830 very soon and have a question for those who own one or have also looked into this.

You can buy just the unit itself OR purchase the "mtb bundle" that includes a remote, silicone case and speed sensor. The issue is that the "bundle" costs an additional $100 o_O and I am trying to determine if its actually warranted (CDN dollars). I ride my e-bike is pure endure mode (up and down) and never do any road riding.

So for an extra $100 (CDN) you get a remote .. which I can't see using, a handlebar mount (seemingly the top stem mount seems adequate since I am not going to be staring at it while riding .. plan on using it for confusing trail intersections) and a speed sensor (again seems redundant since e-bikes already have one).

Am I missing something here ?? For those who own one, what direction did you go ?

Right now I am planning on buying just the unit using Trailforks exclusively and purchasing an aftermarket case for it. Is the "mtb package) really worth it ?

Would appreciate any input from those who looked at both options (y)

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
I use the 520 currently, it picks up the sensors from my Kenevo so absolutely no need for any additional. IMHO just get the unit :)

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
Get the unit. Second hand even better.

Allthough I had the 800 series, and found the screen just too small. I now have the 1000 series and that is much better for MY SPECIFIC FORM or riding (exploring and bikepacking), the 800 could be perfectly fine for your type of riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles