Permantent fixed Garmin 830 mount ?

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Hello,

Like many others, I have the Garmin 830, which comes with a handlebar turn-and-click mount.
Not too bad.

But I would prefer a permanent mounting on the handlebar. Something you screw on with an allen key, which isn't removed in 1 second.

I can't find this on the market, somebody DIY fabricated something himself ?

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
If you're meaning something so that the Garmin itself can't be removed in 1 second, I'm not sure such a product exists - but for the mount itself, I (and several others, including McTrail Rider on youtube) use a K-Edge Gravity Cap. It replaces your stem cap, and provides a nice neat/central/sturdy mount for anything with a standard Garmin type quarter turn mount.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Cant work out if you mean a better mount, not elastic bands, or permanent attachment of the garmin unit to the bike.

The latter is not possible, as you can see the garmin unit does not have any attachment points other than the 1/4 turn tabs. The only alternative i can think of to prevent thievery, or possible loss, would be to glue the garmin to a bolt on mount, but then how do you charge it?

The former, hundreds of designs are available to put the garmin in various positions on the bike, from in front of handlebar, above, on the stem, on the frame, even under the saddle (for 'track racing')

EDIT: If you think the garmin is to loose in the mount, a little square of tape on the back of the garmin packs it out to more strongly engage with the 1/4 turn tabs. Be aware the tabs are not indestrucible, people do break them off and its not easy to repair well

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
permanent attachment.
I don't care about charging. Will be charged by/on/with the bike.

This is somewhat the idea, but of course, the design will respect button location, dimensions etc:

Haibike Mod.jpg

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
permanent attachment.
I don't care about charging. Will be charged by/on/with the bike.

This is somewhat the idea, but of course, the design will respect button location, dimensions etc:

What i meant by charging, was making sure you can still get at the port when on the bike :ROFLMAO:
Looks like the 830 its on the edge facing the rider, so as long as its mounted higher than the bar it should be fine.

But in summary, no there is almost certainly nothing like what you are asking for out there available. Garmin never designed it to be 'permanently fixable' as vast majority of buyers would want it remoavable for charging, plugging into computer, storage, transport etc. not to mention replacing it in 5 years when its broken or obsolete ;).

If you are super keen, a 3D printed shroud could be made to make it look sleek like your pic and hold it securely in place, but youd have to design it or pay a lot of money for someone else to. Closest thing i can think of would be this company who make loads of mounts including this aero styled one, but it still uses the 1/4 turn mount. Garmin Edge Aero Bar Mount - Raceware Direct - Custom Cycle Components

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
The red holes and the side flanges keep the Garmin in place,
the orange bolts keep it together, and keeps it tight around the steering tube.
Maybe I'll have to add bolts under the steering tube.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have you thought about just glueing the head unit into your preferred bolt on qrtr turn mount?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’m intrigued - what’s the reason for wanting it permanently fixed?
I’ve got a mount which goes round my steerer tube, and sits in the middle of the stem.
I’ve never had the Garmin ‘eject’ itself when riding... but I do like to take it off when transporting and washing the bike. It’s also useful to remove it the time I got a puncture, and had the bike upside down on the trail to take the wheel off!

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
About the glue solution: Yes, I also thought to modify that mount with a bolt or additional plate.

Objections: Looks original, the thief will twist somewhat harder, and break off the mount.
I want something that is clearly solid

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thief?

You mean you lock your Ebike out of sight in public places ?

Just don't do that. Around here it's not the Garmin you'd find missing on your return

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I daily leave it on the chain, semi-public, work environment, cctv+security.
Doing little shopping, public parking, locked to the ched, 15 minutes
For picking up the kids at school, daily 2-3 min without chain.

Stealing the bike wouldn't pass without being noticed, and would be taken serious.
Stealing the little Garmin would be easy, and would be laughed away.

Just to give an image of the environment I choose to expose the E-bike and the Garmin

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Larger towns and cities. Yes.
I wouldn’t leave my bike anywhere - locked or not. Someone would find a way or means of taking it... or damaging it.
The only time my bike is unattended is sitting on my bike rack on the back of the car (locked) when I go in and get petrol. There are about 20+ security cameras there!!

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Hmm, back to the bracket.

I'm thinking of a slightly different design, more to the front, also 2-parts but divided top/down.
Somebody has other ideas or input ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles