Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
gform2.jpg

Product name: G-FORM PRO-X Compression shorts
Price paid: €80
Score (out of 10): 3

The positives :

Price wise, there's a good chance you'll get free delivery with a lot of vendors buying just these on their own.

They compact down very well and could be stashed in a pocket as a spare pair or light weight travel under shorts.

They have a special little pocket at the front so you can use a "cup" .. You could also keep your euro's or whatever down there and at time to pay, most people would say "No, don't worry, it's on the house" ..

The Negatives :

If you're buying these to have some lycra type under shorts with protection, you will be disappointed. The armour coverage area is tiny. If you compare it to a Leatt 5.0 with Hip and thigh protection, the g-forms hip protection is severely lacking in area. It's also about half the thickness :

gform.jpg

(picture doesn't do justice to how small the pad is in real life due to magic visual effect !)

Apparently, the g-form armour hardens on impact. That might be so, but the pieces are so small that they might aswell just be hard plastic to start with. With such tiny areas there's no way impact force can be spread over any significant area to stop injury. You literally ..... would be as well gluing a selection of scrabble letters to your underpants.

I did repeatedly test the impact reaction using the simplistic "Smack yourself with your fist" - it was just like smacking yourself with your fist and was quite painful.

Would I buy them again ? definitely absolutely not.

Would I recommend them to drug dealers ? Yes, that front kangaroo crotch pouch is a winner.

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
View attachment 37998

The positives :

Price wise, there's a good chance you'll get free delivery with a lot of vendors buying just these on their own.

They compact down very well and could be stashed in a pocket as a spare pare or light weight travel under shorts.

They have a special little pocket at the front so you can use a "cup" .. You could also keep your euro's or whatever down there and at time to pay, most people would say "No, don't worry, it's on the house" ..

The Negatives :

If you're buying these to have some lycra type under shorts with protection, you will be disappointed. The armour coverage area is tiny. If you compare it to a Leatt 5.0 with Hip and thigh protection, the g-forms hip protection is severely lacking in area. It's also about half the thickness :

View attachment 37999

(picture doesn't do justice to how small the pad is in real life due to magic visual effect !)

Apparently, the g-form armour hardens on impact. That might be so, but the pieces are so small that they might aswell just be hard plastic to start with. With such tiny areas there's no way impact force can be spread over any significant area to stop injury. You literally ..... would be as well gluing a selection of scrabble letters to your underpants.

I did repeatedly test the impact reaction using the simplistic "Smack yourself with your fist" - it was just like smacking yourself with you fist and was quite painful.

Would I recommend them to drug dealers ? Yes, that front kangaroo crotch pouch is a winner.

£72!!!! That's a hell of a price for a small piece of rubbish.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
They're going in the box marked "armour reserved for fight to the death with peacock feathers"
I have two pairs of these. I chose them due to not having as much padding.

I had both hips replaced in 2017 and have fallen directly on both multiple times sure it still hurt some but not near as much as it did before I bought them. To me they do a good job of spreading out the impact and the pads are right where I need them.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have two pairs of these. I chose them due to not having as much padding.
We all have different requirements. If you want something very light weight with minimal protection, but still some protection these will fit the bill.

When I tried them with the "Banana Squash Test" they didn't spread the impact at all though. For pointy/sharp/small impact points these aren't going to protect you anywhere near as much as the armours which spread impact forces.

For me, if you're going to buy and wear protection and you can find something which performs considerably better, is no hotter and no more restricting - you might as well go for something which offers as much protection as possible within those constraints.

I think these are mainly intended for roadies to help with a fast flat hip impact and some abrasion.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
View attachment 37998

The positives :

They compact down very well and could be stashed in a pocket as a spare pair or light weight travel under shorts.

The Negatives :

View attachment 37999

I did repeatedly test the impact reaction using the simplistic "Smack yourself with your fist" - it was just like smacking yourself with your fist and was quite painful.

An enjoyable review, even when the product is seemingly not that great!

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
We all have different requirements. If you want something very light weight with minimal protection, but still some protection these will fit the bill.

When I tried them with the "Banana Squash Test" they didn't spread the impact at all though. For pointy/sharp/small impact points these aren't going to protect you anywhere near as much as the armours which spread impact forces.

For me, if you're going to buy and wear protection and you can find something which performs considerably better, is no hotter and no more restricting - you might as well go for something which offers as much protection as possible within those constraints.

I think these are mainly intended for roadies to help with a fast flat hip impact and some abrasion.
no argument about them being minimal. Mine are missing the "pocket" you referenced though. Feel like I like I lost out on something.

I will be picking up something else for when I travel to northern MN where there are a lot more techy, rocky sections. I felt a little "under padded" up there last year.

Thanks for the review.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles