Future Motors

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
All looks promising - except for the ABS.

Yes it seems to be a solution in search of a problem although the Sachs motor looks like some it has some very nice engineering inside

Sachs-RS-945-845-GT-7-von-14.jpg

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I am glad to see a few more smaller, lighter systems emerging. Having said that the sheer number of motors is pretty crazy - given each will require frames to be designed around them is there enough space in the market for all of them? I personally doubt it.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I am glad to see a few more smaller, lighter systems emerging. Having said that the sheer number of motors is pretty crazy - given each will require frames to be designed around them is there enough space in the market for all of them? I personally doubt it.
thats because you sir are a realist

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

Oh, absolutely not. The market is moving from the early adopters to early majority so this explosion is to be expected. The question is: how much of it is ‘me too’ and how much real innovation (eg. Kervelo etc)

There’s more potential for a big manufacturer to do what Specialized did with Brose though without developing their own motor. The extra value in software etc

As for standardisation. I can only see how a small company would choose, say, the Shimano bolt pattern as a de-facto standard. The big motor manufacturers ignore serviceability of older motors at their peril in this case.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Oh, absolutely not. The market is moving from the early adopters to early majority so this explosion is to be expected. The question is: how much of it is ‘me too’ and how much real innovation (eg. Kervelo etc)
Agreed - tbh most of those motors didn't look like they were offering anything materially different from what we already have, Kervelo excepted.

There’s more potential for a big manufacturer to do what Specialized did with Brose though without developing their own motor. The extra value in software etc.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be holding up the partnership between Specialized and Brose as a success at this point. It's clear there have been huge reliability issues with their motors that have cost Spec a lot; the fact they have gone with a different partner to develop the motor in the Creo speaks volumes. I think it is at best 50:50 that a Brose will be in the 2021 Levo, maybe less.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Maybe, but I wouldn't be holding up the partnership between Specialized and Brose as a success at this point. It's clear there have been huge reliability issues with their motors that have cost Spec a lot; the fact they have gone with a different partner to develop the motor in the Creo speaks volumes. I think it is at best 50:50 that a Brose will be in the 2021 Levo, maybe less.

Completely agree. It speaks volumes they’ve used Mahle for the Creo (and not shouted about who supplies the motor). I can see them differentiating the Turbo brand more using software, leaving them free to choose the underlying power unit.

There’s still many ways for this market to develop. It’s a very exciting time. The incumbents really can’t sit on their laurels right now. I’m looking at you Shimano in particular!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Unconfirmed but ive heard a couple online rumblings of a shimano steps9000 is a couple months. Havent heard it a lot though so maybe rumour. Anyone else?

Reactions: S D

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Unconfirmed but ive heard a couple online rumblings of a shimano steps9000 is a couple months. Havent heard it a lot though so maybe rumour. Anyone else?
Unless it has an identical bolt mounting pattern (which I suppose isn’t completely impossible) it will be too late for all the 2020 bikes. The fact nothing has been announced with it yet would seem to point to a release next year rather than this, but let’s see what happens...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Unless it has an identical bolt mounting pattern (which I suppose isn’t completely impossible) it will be too late for all the 2020 bikes. The fact nothing has been announced with it yet would seem to point to a release next year rather than this, but let’s see what happens...

Good point. Probably a ways off but it’s hard to distinguish between a 7000 and 8000 so maybe we’ve already seen some new bikes with a 9000 and not known, if it looks identical. Probably not but more wishful thinking. Getting a bit greedy today, I’m sure it’ll have 100+nm and use half the battery powah and weigh under 2kg ??

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
To be fair, I am quite dissapointed with the way these motors have developed thus far.
I keep reading about how this is 'new technology' ... nope, it is new implimentation of current technology.

Alan W

Apr 20, 2019
Dorset England
So true

Looks nice - but then again so did the Sachs 125cc MX motor of the 70's and the were a 6 speed gearbox with 5 neutrals ... 1 - N - 2 - N - 3 - N - 4 - N - 5 - N - 6 ... was a painful time :oops:
YES, I had one of those, a little pin would slide down the counter shaft engaging each gear cog in turn, until the pin rounded off and slipped between gears. Painful on the motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles