FS vs HD

Ananda

Jun 29, 2019
Athens
Hi there everybody. Early next year I am planning to get meself an emtb. Due to limited dealer network where I live, it would have to be either a cube or a haibike and thats it basically. But that is not the issue. The issue is whether it will be a fully sus or a hardtail. So far I have ridden a cube reaction pro and a haibike hardnine 7.0 and those rides where on the street. The cube had a derestrictor and was a rocket, the haibike was stock.
For the same money (sub 3500€) I can get either a high specced hd or a low specced fs.

I am 50yrs old and fairly fit but so far only a street bicycle rider. I am not planning to race the bike but I do like going fast within reason to be honest and own a few road and offroad motorcycles. I have never ridden an fs normal mtb, neither a decent modern hd.

This emtb will not be solely a plaything. It will also be a daily commuter of sorts, so simplicity and dependability is a plus.

So, the question is......in what riding conditions I will miss riding an fs? Is it worth to wait a bit and spend more on an fs? The +size tyres on the emtbs I've ridden gave me the impression they were extremelly competent going up and down on pavements, seemed to me very compliant and I sort of liked the tight response of the rear end....

Can the maintenance of a rear suspension end up being a headache?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a Shimano motored HT and it's surprisingly capable. It has 27.5+ wheels/tyres (2.8 wide and quite chunky if you're not familiar) so these also give a degree of bump absorbance. I don't do much street riding but when I do, I don't think I've ever felt I'd need FS. - maybe if you were cycling up steps - it's not hugely comfortable cycling down steps on it either. On fire trails and woodland tracks it's fine. The FS bike will ultimately require more maintenance over time and as you say, the other downside is the initial price.

I have however wanted an FS for a while and made the call last week and ordered one, but I'm mainly riding reds with some blacks and feel I've reached the limit on how fast I can go on a HT.(I'm sure someone else could go faster on it - but not me!).

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Hi there everybody. Early next year I am planning to get meself an emtb. Due to limited dealer network where I live, it would have to be either a cube or a haibike and thats it basically. But that is not the issue. The issue is whether it will be a fully sus or a hardtail. So far I have ridden a cube reaction pro and a haibike hardnine 7.0 and those rides where on the street. The cube had a derestrictor and was a rocket, the haibike was stock.
For the same money (sub 3500€) I can get either a high specced hd or a low specced fs.

I am 50yrs old and fairly fit but so far only a street bicycle rider. I am not planning to race the bike but I do like going fast within reason to be honest and own a few road and offroad motorcycles. I have never ridden an fs normal mtb, neither a decent modern hd.

This emtb will not be solely a plaything. It will also be a daily commuter of sorts, so simplicity and dependability is a plus.

So, the question is......in what riding conditions I will miss riding an fs? Is it worth to wait a bit and spend more on an fs? The +size tyres on the emtbs I've ridden gave me the impression they were extremelly competent going up and down on pavements, seemed to me very compliant and I sort of liked the tight response of the rear end....

Can the maintenance of a rear suspension end up being a headache?

Hi,
Great questions and I’m sure you will get plenty of good advice on this forum. My partner and I are in a similar situation. We have trialled Cube reaction hybrid pros (hardtails) and loved them. We thought we would wait a bit until the new Bosch motors come out. There is a Cube product launch on 14th August I believe so we will know details of their new 2020 ebikes then I guess.
At the moment I just don’t think the type of terrain we plan to ride requires a full suspension.

You might want to check out this video below which I found quite interesting and surprising..

Good luck with your choice.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Once you ride a well sorted FS...and most modern FS bike are.....offroad...you would never go back to a HT

Ananda

Jun 29, 2019
Athens
Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming!
I meant to write "ht" and not "hd", sorry for that.
Also, given the limited amount of spending, a part of the question is the "high spec ht vs a low spec fs" bit. I am a fun of good suspension when there is one and a high spec ht seems to have a better front end than a low spec fs. Would that be offputting in the latter case?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
If your initial use is mainly paved roads/commuting, a high end fork will not be that important and a lower spec will do just fine. When stuff gets gnarly that’s where you want premium suspension technology. Buying a HT could give you some challenges down the road if you decide to attack the gnarly stuff as riding a HT on a technical trail demands more skills from the rider. If I were you I would go for the lower spec FS as it will do just fine for your initial intended use and if you further down the road get the taste for the gnarly trails, you have a much more forgiving starting point. If it turns out you need a better fork it is much cheaper to upgrade the fork than having to buy a new FS bike.

Karsten

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
The advise everybody gave me, is to never buy a cheap FS.
It is heavy, everything will wear out, break, make creeping noise, and the piston is the worst if not adapted/adaptable both in gain and damping, in and out.
On an (already) heavy Ebike all this is even worse.
That's why I bought my 2000euro HT e-st 900, and did not buy the 3300euro FS Stilus.
"for a decent electric FS you need to spend at least the double" was what they said.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
At your age (same as me) you’ll find the FS more forgiving on the body.

I currently ride a HT manual bike and have a full sus ebike. I like riding the HT XC bike but it does get a be hard work on long ride and I am a bit lazy when it comes to getting out of the seat for bumps etc. Uphill on HT I love to stand up for power, on the FS you lose so much in the suspension but having the motor makes up for that. I prefer the FS.

FS comfy and lazy and HT hard and full on.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
The advise everybody gave me, is to never buy a cheap FS.
It is heavy, everything will wear out, break, make creeping noise, and the piston is the worst if not adapted/adaptable both in gain and damping, in and out.
On an (already) heavy Ebike all this is even worse.
That's why I bought my 2000euro HT e-st 900, and did not buy the 3300euro FS Stilus.
"for a decent electric FS you need to spend at least the double" was what they said.
This thread was a year old before your post.

Afraid I mostly disagree with your post. On an (already) heavy ebike I'll take any extra suspension and damping I can get and I don't need to worry about cheaper parts being heavier (so much), I don't want a 20kg+ bike rattling itself to bits over the bumps. Yes, it will cost you more. I'm afraid if you went for the ST-900 over the Stilus for any reason other than cost you probably made a poor choice. By all accounts the Stilus is awesome.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Of course cost was also important, but many said the Stilus mechanism would fall apart after a few months or years.
Good to know you are happy with it, maybe I will regret my choice in the future.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Nah, I don't have a Stilus, but a quick dip into the 30+ page thread on the bike will show you people are desperate to get their hands on one.
I'm glad you're happy with your E-ST, just not sure of the quality of the advice you were given, components wear out and break on all bikes.. Most people seem to 'upgrade' to a FS once they're hooked on the sport.

This isn't a right or wrong type of question, and I'm a firm believer that any modern MTB is way more than many of us "need".

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
a good thing so many people are happy with their FS Stylus.
I hope I don't regret my HT choice.

The only thing to try to understand for me now, are the reasons why people give 2x or 3x that price to another FS manufactorer.
I will look up the tread, must be explained there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles