Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Product Image:
lid.jpg

Product name: FOX Proframe Full Face Helmet
Price paid: £190
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: I have always had a full face lid for BPW and other such venues and standard lid for everywhere else. I was surprised on the last EMTB Forum ride on how many riders were wearing Full Face, and how many I pass when out on the trails. I realised that they have changed somewhat and are now billed as 'Enduro' Full Face. After quite a few spills it seemed to make sense so I took the plunge.

First the helmet is extremely light, probably not a lot heavier than my standard Urge lid. It has massive vents around the chin on the forehead and everywhere else. I did a couple of heavy rides at the weekend (4500ft 26 miles and 3300ft and 20 miles) to see how it was. It obviously is hotter than a piss pot lid but not by much. It didn't feel overly clostrophobic and I felt like I was getting plenty of air even on the big climbs. The face opening is plenty big enough to get your hand in to wipe the sweat away. The design also allows you to comfortably wear glasses which I can't do on my other Full Face. Overall very impressed, plus it looks cool. Only downside is the price but there are cheaper versions of the same helmet.

I have to say I am converted and will be wearing the FOX on all rides from now on coupled with my Leatt Armoured Vest!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Absolutely agree with @Dawnrazor ‘s review, I’ve been wearing a pro-frame for about a year now in all conditions and think its the best helmet I’ve had. I upgraded to it because I wanted a mips helmet (after watching a mate get a spectacular concussion at BPW), I dont know if MIPS will save me, but it will definitely help. Without it, helmets wont do anything to stop concussion injuries.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I have had one of these for 4 months and absolutely love it.

This is my 5 pence/cents worth after wearing this very ‘well ventilated’ full face helmet while riding my ebike and acoustic bikes.

The good
1. My head does not get anywhere near as hot on the up hill sections as it does when I am riding my many acoustic bikes and wearing the same helmet. Why? Simple really, You are getting much more air flow through the helmet as you are travelling faster on your ebike on the said up hill sections. Yes, you still get warm if you hoof it but even then for me personally, it is a lot less due to the additional air flow.
2. Super comfortable, However, saying that I know people have different shaped heads so you may not agree with me on this one which is fine.
3. Physically, you are safer as it offers more protection than an open face trail helmet in a face plant experience.
4. Psychologically, you feel safer.
5. Superb fastening system, once you understand how it works :rolleyes:
6. I believe it is DH rated and has a full face certification? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

The not so good
1. The Fox Proframe acts as a scoop and the vents do not have a mesh covering so you can get quite a bit of wildlife entering the helmet. Some of them can be a bit undesirable if they are of the stinging kind :eek:. The good news is that the helmet fastening system is brilliant and you can remove it very quickly in this situation.
2. Yes, you still sweat in this helmet but I use a headband called Halo which I find soaks up most of the sweat and it even diverts the sweat away from your brow so it doesn’t drop into your eyes.
This is the one I use. Buy a Halo Super Wide Pullover Headband Online at Halo Headband UK

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Have been using met parachute for a couple years now and happy with it, but curiosity has had me looking at the fox and leatt enduro helmet lately. Has anyone else used the leatt?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
The fox is much better ventilated than the met parachute, my housemate had a met, with the hope of wearing for pedal days at bpw, but found it was still too hot to comfortably cycle up the hill.

@Kiwi in Wales is correct about the wildlife, ive found lots of bugs go in around the front. Luckily most of them seem to blow out the back rather than attaching themselves to my head.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I love my proframe, can only echo what other have said. The only annoying thing for me is the inability to rest goggles under the visor ( the visor is not adjustable but in a good position riding wise). The ventilation is so good i can see myself having to invest in some sort of liner for when the weather turns

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I love my proframe, can only echo what other have said. The only annoying thing for me is the inability to rest goggles under the visor ( the visor is not adjustable but in a good position riding wise). The ventilation is so good i can see myself having to invest in some sort of liner for when the weather turns

Agreed,
I have actually adjusted (cut down) the removable peak so I can now rest my goggles under the peak. Its still not 100% but it does the job. It would be good if they could resolve this on their next release though.

Will post a photo of the hack later for you.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Was very tempted by one of these, tried one on and a great fit. However the dual shell MIPS, removable chin bar, ability to put goggles under the visor and the clever sweat guide bit in the padding on the Bell Super MIPS won me over so just back ordered one from Evans for £160 with the 20% additional discount they have at the moment

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I have the Bell as well, I find the Fox ventilates better but apart from that the Bell is a great helmet and you don’t have to hack your visor to allow your goggles to fit (y)

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Yeah you can tell the Fox has better ventilation just by looking at it, i think it looks better too. I decided the Bell had too many other pluses though. Is there much in it heat wise?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Yeah you can tell the Fox has better ventilation just by looking at it, i think it looks better too. I decided the Bell had too many other pluses though. Is there much in it heat wise?

There is not a lot in it. However, saying that we are all different so my version of a boiled head may be different to yours ?
As we both have ebikes we are naturally going a lot faster and putting in less effort while going uphill so there is less heat build up in the helmet and airflow is also increased through it. This is yet another reason why I love ebikes.

I can confirm I still sweat with the Fox on but that is when I am really pushing it.

Your Bell will be fine, it’s a great helmet ?

I use a ‘Halo’ headband underneath which I find great for soaking up any sweat.

Topov

I have both the Bell Super Dh and The Fox Proframe, I needed a Large in the Fox but only a Medium in the Bell. Each have their plusses and minuses. I think it all comes down to head fit, colour and the best price you can get at the time :)

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I got the 100% Aircraft MIPS carbon in XL. First full face for me, and it’s quite snug. Haven’t ridden it on a long ride yet, but I will find out if I get headaches from it. If I have an issue, I will probably go with the Fox Rampage Carbon in XXL. I got a 100% in a goggles combo, which brought a full face carbon mips helmet to £126 (not including goggles price).

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I absolutely love! My proframe!
It's the best helmet I've ever had..
I agree with all that's been said here so won't repeat it, will just add:
Pros:
Amazing ventilation! Especially if (like me) you live in a hot climate!
The holes let in bugs, but then so does every other helmet, the thing is.. they just fly on thrue! Right out the back.. and don't stay in your helmet!
Cons:
I find the padding strips to be a little "cheap".. especially the one over the forehead, that tends to "ride up" on your head, and then the plastic of the "mips" cuts into your forehead.. annoying.. has to be stuck back in place on the Velcro all the time..
But all in all! An amazing, light, Good looking, comfortable, safe helmet.
?????

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Cons:
I find the padding strips to be a little "cheap".. especially the one over the forehead, that tends to "ride up" on your head, and then the plastic of the "mips" cuts into your forehead.. annoying.. has to be stuck back in place on the Velcro all the time..
?????

I’ve had mine for about 2 years now. I wear a normal helmet for most rides, and take my Proframe when I’m going on more adventurous rides.

I had the same issue with the forehead strip riding up. I actually removed it, and fitted some double sided tape rather than the Velcro pads. It hasn’t moved since, and I no longer finish the ride and have an indent in my forehead ?

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Just waiting for delivery of mine. Looked at a lot of different ones online and decided on the fox. Hope it lives up to its reputation. saved £50 just by having a different colour than some of them. Luckily I liked the cheaper colour (y)

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I absolutely love! My proframe!
It's the best helmet I've ever had..
I agree with all that's been said here so won't repeat it, will just add:
Pros:
Amazing ventilation! Especially if (like me) you live in a hot climate!
The holes let in bugs, but then so does every other helmet, the thing is.. they just fly on thrue! Right out the back.. and don't stay in your helmet!
Cons:
?????
Update: found a solution to the annoying tendency of the yellow mips plastic edge,cutting into your forehead, due to the padding strip or the velcro that holds it, sliding up.. also the single contact point on the forehead was giving me headaches!
Did away with the stupid little sticky velcro pads, and super glued the padding strip to the sharp front edge of the mips yellow plastic liner.. + used the spare forehead padding strip, and super glued it one row back from the front(to not block airholes) so now there are two points of contact and padding on my forehead! No more headaches!!!
Problem solved!?
IMG_20201004_201145.jpg
IMG_20201004_201133.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Anybody else having issue with a creaky proframe? I recently picked up one of these, and the noise from the MIPS liner is pretty bad. I'm hoping it gets better with use.

Otherwise, I'm impressed with the weight, ventilation, visibility and looks. But underwhelmed by the liner padding and velcro fasteners.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
Anybody else having issue with a creaky proframe? I recently picked up one of these, and the noise from the MIPS liner is pretty bad. I'm hoping it gets better with use.

Otherwise, I'm impressed with the weight, ventilation, visibility and looks. But underwhelmed by the liner padding and velcro fasteners.

Just unboxed mine and tried it on. It squeaks so much I am not sure I will be able to stand to ride with it. I read somewhere that it does get better with use. I sure hope so.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Just unboxed mine and tried it on. It squeaks so much I am not sure I will be able to stand to ride with it. I read somewhere that it does get better with use. I sure hope so.

In three seasons of riding, the visor has loosened and created an annoying rattle. I have put small pieces of rubber here and there to keep the visor vibration free.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
In three seasons of riding, the visor has loosened and created an annoying rattle. I have put small pieces of rubber here and there to keep the visor vibration free.
Good thought and I will keep that in mind.

The current issue is where the MIPS liner squeaks as it rubs on the styrofoam structure of the helmet.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
Good thought and I will keep that in mind.

The current issue is where the MIPS liner squeaks as it rubs on the styrofoam structure of the helmet.

After a few rides I guess there is enough dirt and sweat in there that the squeaking noise from the MIPS liner is gone. Whew!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles