Review FOX Proframe Full Face Helmet

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I had one, was great as all said, did make a bit of noise. Now have the TLD stance, very similar but no noise, slightly more comfortable and better vents, cooling. I am a converted TLD skid lid now...

This helmet has a bad reputation.
I am afraid of this helmet, as I've seen crash footage on facebook of chin guard failing at impact on a bad landing at a jump, seen several pics of destroyed helmets, several people claim they broke the chinguard from light impacts. I've even seen a claim that a guy died cus of this helmet, but I don't know how or why, I don't know if that person had a neck brace and how he crashed. seen that on facebook too, cus I posted this video:

Cross Training Enduro
reviewed this helmet, helmet had an light impact at a dirt bank, but the helmet split at the top.
I am not impressed with this, so I won't buy an ProFrame

So I got scary replies.

the death claim was in my thread:

I always go for Downhill approved helmets.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I can definitely say the Fox Proframe, is among the least satisfying purchases, I have made during my emtb days. The sizing is wrong, and the quality of the liner wouldn't pass Walmart standards.

On the plus side, it's light, it breaths, & the latch is cool.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
wanna share my experience of crashing in this helmet.
I was using a MX bike tyre mark on a flat corner as a berm so I could hit it faster, the 'berm' gave way and before i could react at all I was on the floor, this (at a guess) was at about 20mph.
I hit the floor without getting hands out or turning my body, the initial impact was on the chinpiece which immediately dug into the gravelly/sandy/clay surface and even though the helmet has MIPS, I suffered a pretty nasty turning effect on my neck which ended up hurting for weeks.
after ploughing the ground with my face for about 2 feet my body caught up with what was happening and I started to roll and the helmet started digging in just above my eyeline and the peak ripped off.
after a couple more rolls, the event was all over thankfully but I was hurting.
I was left with a cut / graze on my forehead where the helmet rests against your head there, some cuts and abrasions on my face and nose etc but worst of all was the neck pain.

I've not had many accidents like this and I hope not to have any more but I took this away.

the helmet LOOKS great, stealth fighter style etc but it was those sharp edges that dug in and caused my neck injury for sure, If the helmet was rounded in the chinpiece area, it wouldn't have had the same opportunity to dig into the earth.
the MIPS i didn't feel helped but i've not had this type of accident in a non MIPS helmet so cant be sure.
the peak broke away as its supposed to, worked well.
Unsure if I would buy another one, the Bell that my son has is a lot more motorcycle shaped in the chin area and could have prevented that initial digging in.

had a week off work with concussion after this.. classic concussion symptoms, unsure if the head impact or the neck twist but potentially could be either.

sorry, but here's pictures of me face !

IMG_20220507_180901.jpg

IMG_20220507_181129.jpg

IMG_20220507_190912.jpg

wanna share my experience of crashing in this helmet.
I was using a MX bike tyre mark on a flat corner as a berm so I could hit it faster, the 'berm' gave way and before i could react at all I was on the floor, this (at a guess) was at about 20mph.
I hit the floor without getting hands out or turning my body, the initial impact was on the chinpiece which immediately dug into the gravelly/sandy/clay surface and even though the helmet has MIPS, I suffered a pretty nasty turning effect on my neck which ended up hurting for weeks.
after ploughing the ground with my face for about 2 feet my body caught up with what was happening and I started to roll and the helmet started digging in just above my eyeline and the peak ripped off.
after a couple more rolls, the event was all over thankfully but I was hurting.
I was left with a cut / graze on my forehead where the helmet rests against your head there, some cuts and abrasions on my face and nose etc but worst of all was the neck pain.

I've not had many accidents like this and I hope not to have any more but I took this away.

the helmet LOOKS great, stealth fighter style etc but it was those sharp edges that dug in and caused my neck injury for sure, If the helmet was rounded in the chinpiece area, it wouldn't have had the same opportunity to dig into the earth.
the MIPS i didn't feel helped but i've not had this type of accident in a non MIPS helmet so cant be sure.
the peak broke away as its supposed to, worked well.
Unsure if I would buy another one, the Bell that my son has is a lot more motorcycle shaped in the chin area and could have prevented that initial digging in.

had a week off work with concussion after this.. classic concussion symptoms, unsure if the head impact or the neck twist but potentially could be either.

sorry, but here's pictures of me face !

View attachment 93545

View attachment 93546

View attachment 93547
looks like goggles with nose guard would help here, to protect the nose, and upper face area.
I've tried several goggles, but not many, only few brands, Adidas; 1000%, Leatt, so far Leatt is my fav, easy to swap lenses, the comfort is great, 100% gets itchy at the foam, it irritates the skin a bit, I need to scratch. but never happens with Leatt, super smooth and comfortable. But nose guard falls off too easily, my goggles had difference in tolerances on left and right so one side goes easy into the hole other is super snug.
A nose guard is a must in my opinion, it protects the nose against branches, or whatever might come hitting you.
1659182983447.png

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
looks like goggles with nose guard would help here, to protect the nose, and upper face area.
I've tried several goggles, but not many, only few brands, Adidas; 1000%, Leatt, so far Leatt is my fav, easy to swap lenses, the comfort is great, 100% gets itchy at the foam, it irritates the skin a bit, I need to scratch. but nevers happens with Leatt, super smooth and comfortable. But noseguard falls off too easily, my goggles had differnece in tolerances on left and right so one side goes easy into the hole other is super snug.
A nose guard is a must in my opinion, it protects the nose against branches, or what ever might come hitting you.
View attachment 93549
yea the facial injuries are because i wasn't wearing any goggles or glasses and aren't really to do with the helmet at all..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles