Fox float x leaking… again

Leeky1

Jan 29, 2023
Shropshire
Evening all

My shock (fox float x)had to go away under warranty after 3 weeks of having my Kenevo in Feb. It’s now leaking again and got to send it off for repair again so will be without the bike for 3/4 weeks.

My question is, is this a normal amount of oil leaking on the photo attached or should it not leak at all. I am wondering if it was overfilled from the previous repair but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better 😞

Has anyone else had similar issues? Tredz haven’t been helpful at all to be honest just want to send it off again.

6E1659EF-63F5-458A-8273-777EFF71D992.jpeg

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Looks quite a lot
They do produce a little oil sometimes past the seal but it shouldn't be anything like that on a new unit

Tell them they have had one chance at a repair and you want a replacement unit no if or buts
That your consumer rights and the law
Don't let them fob you off with another repair
If they don't play ball get in touch with trading standards you can tell them that too if they get shitty .

Your right to a repair or replacement​

You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

Beyond the first 30 days of ownership you're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:

• an attempt at repair or replacement has failed
  • the cost of the repair or replacement is disproportionate to the value of the goods or digital content
  • a repair or replacement is impossible
  • a repair or replacement will cause you significant inconvenience
  • the repair or replacement will take an unreasonably long amount of time.
If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you can reject the goods for a full refund.

If you don't want a refund and still want your product repaired or replaced, you have the right to request that the retailer makes further attempts at a repair or replacement.

Last edited:

Leeky1

Jan 29, 2023
Shropshire
Looks quite a lot
They do produce a little oil sometimes past the seal but it shouldn't be anything like that on a new unit

Tell them they have had one chance at a repair and you want a replacement unit no if or buts
That your consumer rights and the law
Don't let them fob you off with another repair
If they don't play ball get in touch with trading standards you can tell them that too if they get shitty .
Thanks for your reply

Had argument with them twice over the phone that they have to send away again for repair but I have argued for them to send me a new one.

I’m in the warranty game at work if I treated my customers like this I wouldn’t have any 🤣

Get an e bike they said it’s fun but mine has spent more time in the garage 🙃

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Evening all

My shock (fox float x)had to go away under warranty after 3 weeks of having my Kenevo in Feb. It’s now leaking again

Just wipe it off and ride the bike. When the shock is assembled, lubricant is slopped all over the parts before they're put together. Some lubricant is trapped between the sealing surface and the wiper surface. When the shock is new, the lubricant will work its way past the wiping surface. "Overfilling" isn't a thing. Only a few cc's of oil go in there. "Overfilling" would result in a shock that doesn't work properly. You can expect this phenomenon on new shocks as well as those that are recently rebuilt.

Leeky1

Jan 29, 2023
Shropshire
Just wipe it off and ride the bike. When the shock is assembled, lubricant is slopped all over the parts before they're put together. Some lubricant is trapped between the sealing surface and the wiper surface. When the shock is new, the lubricant will work its way past the wiping surface. "Overfilling" isn't a thing. Only a few cc's of oil go in there. "Overfilling" would result in a shock that doesn't work properly. You can expect this phenomenon on new shocks as well as those that are recently rebuilt.
Would you still expect a large amount of oil after every ride? I have to wipe the shock every every section of my local trail and there is a fair amount of oil on there. If theres only a few cc of oil in there I’m shocked there is any left 🤣

Leeky1

Jan 29, 2023
Shropshire
Buy a used shock so you can keep riding while that is being repaired? Great time to upgrade to a coil
What are the benefits of a coil over my current shock? I have been looking at coils, seem far more reliable

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
What are the benefits of a coil over my current shock? I have been looking at coils, seem far more reliable

Pros: No stiction so they have better small bump sensitivity, no air to leak out. Fashionable.

Cons: linear (unless you buy a progressive spring) so if you have a frame with a linear linkage, big hits will blow through the travel and bottom out. Harder to set up (you may go through a few springs to get the right one).

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Buy a TTX coil have one on gen2 and gen3 Levo the air shocks just keep blowing.I wonder why 😂

Not that I ever do stuff like you, but have an Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil shock (with a linear spring) on my bike (alloy '22 Trek Rail). It's truly 'set it and forget it', don't even think about it any more.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax
Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Mine has a weep like that I noticed. Put it down to settling in past the first seal. It did not persist after that though. Two volume spacers fitted, if relevant

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles