Fox 36 e issues

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Hello all, I am about 250miles into my e-sommet ownership I have to say its amazing but for the life of me I cant get the forks to use full travel 170mm. No matter how hard I hit a trail, jump, drop Im not using the last 4cm of travel, so it can be a little harsh on the front at the end of its reduced range.

I have removed both spacers and run the rebound slow still no use. I run lower pressures and higher sag for my weight but still no joy.

I weigh 168lbs and run around 65lbs pressure, going lower seem ridiculous given im over sagged.

Is this a non equalising pressure issue, over greased??

I have tried pumping the shock up to 120 and compressed it. I have released all the air a few times but on the most recent occasion the shock wont fully extend for my pressure although I can pull it out fully manually. What are the solutions? Anyone else had this problem.

Sofaboy73

May 26, 2020
UK
to establish if you can get full travel, take all the air out and fully compress them, the max travel should be just over the kashima logo. it's often very difficult to get the last 10-15mm of travel out of them in real world riding though unless you case something hard

if the fork isn't fully extending, it sound like the +ve and -ve chambers aren't equalising properly. this could be that you been taking air in and out of the fork too quickly (ad 20 psi at a time and cycle the fork to equalise) or could be that fox forks tend to come out of the box over greased and grease blocking the port - loads of videos on line on how to solve this

most fox forks are over damped as well, so wind off all the high speed and loss speed and see how that feels and add back on gradually

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
to establish if you can get full travel, take all the air out and fully compress them, the max travel should be just over the kashima logo. it's often very difficult to get the last 10-15mm of travel out of them in real world riding though unless you case something hard

if the fork isn't fully extending, it sound like the +ve and -ve chambers aren't equalising properly. this could be that you been taking air in and out of the fork too quickly (ad 20 psi at a time and cycle the fork to equalise) or could be that fox forks tend to come out of the box over greased and grease blocking the port - loads of videos on line on how to solve this

most fox forks are over damped as well, so wind off all the high speed and loss speed and see how that feels and add back on gradually
Unfortunately its the performance model (black stanctions) so rebound adjustment only. I can fully compress them when empty and fully extend with more pressure than I need. I tend to empty using the shock pump slowly also. Will see what videos I can find on the grease port issue.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i didn't have the extension issue but out of the box my bike was stupidly harsh, i took out all but one spacer and wound back counter clockwise both compression and rebound settings to fully open and it was better

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Seems like you 2 problems.....both probably due to unequal neg and pos chamber pressures. "Sucking down" is a classic symptom of not equalising the pressure and not being able to get full travel could mean the pressure is too high in the upper chamber...because it has not bled through. Couple of things you could try. First put rebound at fully fast and compression ( if you have an adjuster) fully open, then inflate the fork to something close to its maximum or if you do not know what that is go to 100psi...do it in stages of 20 psi cycling the fork 3 times to 25% its travel at each stage. Take the bike out and pump/bounce the suspension hard whilst riding. Go back and check the pressure to see if it is still 100. If it has reduced it shows that you were only inflation the upper chamber but that now you have partly or maybe fully equalised the pressure. Deflate and repeat but now just go to somewhere just above the recommended setting for your weight. If the pressure is still at 100, deflate the fork to a bout 30 psi. Find a good angle to compress the suspension as hard as you can by hand then pull violently up. Repeat.
Both procedures are designed to try to remove any grease that may be blocking the bypass port. If neither works you will have to do a lower leg service to clean the stanchion.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Seems like you 2 problems.....both probably due to unequal neg and pos chamber pressures. "Sucking down" is a classic symptom of not equalising the pressure and not being able to get full travel could mean the pressure is too high in the upper chamber...because it has not bled through. Couple of things you could try. First put rebound at fully fast and compression ( if you have an adjuster) fully open, then inflate the fork to something close to its maximum or if you do not know what that is go to 100psi...do it in stages of 20 psi cycling the fork 3 times to 25% its travel at each stage. Take the bike out and pump/bounce the suspension hard whilst riding. Go back and check the pressure to see if it is still 100. If it has reduced it shows that you were only inflation the upper chamber but that now you have partly or maybe fully equalised the pressure. Deflate and repeat but now just go to somewhere just above the recommended setting for your weight. If the pressure is still at 100, deflate the fork to a bout 30 psi. Find a good angle to compress the suspension as hard as you can by hand then pull violently up. Repeat.
Both procedures are designed to try to remove any grease that may be blocking the bypass port. If neither works you will have to do a lower leg service to clean the stanchion.
Thanks, will give that a try.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I've had the e36 Factory for about a year, and had similar problems. Eventually had them properly serviced and they found all sorts of sub-optimal setup (not enough oil, too much grease etc). Also apparently my attempts at adjusting to compensate were a disaster. Anyway, they feel amazing now they are sorted - I wish I had done it sooner.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
I've had the e36 Factory for about a year, and had similar problems. Eventually had them properly serviced and they found all sorts of sub-optimal setup (not enough oil, too much grease etc). Also apparently my attempts at adjusting to compensate were a disaster. Anyway, they feel amazing now they are sorted - I wish I had done it sooner.
Yes I feel this is the way to go. They have not got any better trying the above options. Ok for now but a service in the New Year I think

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Well I finally had my fork serviced locally, I am really surprised at how crap FOX quality control is. there was a stupid amount of grease in the uppers, very little oil, the foams were bone dry to the point the seals were brittle. I dont really ride wet weather and wipe my bike down with hot water only. For something that is expensive to buy it really is poor that they come out in that state.

Needless to say the fork feels better but I still have issues with it ramping up way to hard even without tokens. Almost debating getting lyrik or a zeb.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
received_3749735618446679.jpeg

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Needless to say the fork feels better but I still have issues with it ramping up way to hard even without tokens. Almost debating getting lyrik or a zeb.
I run a Fox Factory e36 with an air spring and a Lyric Ultimate with a coil. Coil is far superior in every way.

Talk to Fin at Full Factory, he can coil convert the Fox 36s (except the ebike version, that has a 34 internal diameter and won't take it). 100% worth the money. Zebs are too stiff and heavy for anything but free ride applications IMO.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
I run a Fox Factory e36 with an air spring and a Lyric Ultimate with a coil. Coil is far superior in every way.

Talk to Fin at Full Factory, he can coil convert the Fox 36s (except the ebike version, that has a 34 internal diameter and won't take it). 100% worth the money. Zebs are too stiff and heavy for anything but free ride applications IMO.
Thats my problem 34 internals on mine :(

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Oh yeah, you had said previously, sorry. Well worth talking to a proper suspension tech rather than just someone servicing them. There may be stuff they can do. Fin at Full Factory has worked wonders for me, TF Tuned are also excellent.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles