Found a deal for a GEN3 CX bike, or buy GEN4?

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
Hello, I am currently looking to buy my first EMTB and was looking at Cube Reaction Hybrid.
I have found a used one with low mileage and it has the GEN3 CX motor, compared to GEN4 CX what are the disadvantages? would it be worth spending over 500€ more to get a GEN4 bike? (mostly interested in pedaling resistance difference between the two)

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I've never ridden a gen 3 but one of the stated advantages of the gen 4 was less resistance above the assist speed, the others were reduced weight and size.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
I also see that the GEN4 bikes use 38T or so front tooth, while the GEN3 has a 15T (and can only accept 20T max) which seems like a downside since I will be doing a lot of tarmac/flat riding too?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I also see that the GEN4 bikes use 38T or so front tooth, while the GEN3 has a 15T (and can only accept 20T max) which seems like a downside since I will be doing a lot of tarmac/flat riding too?

I think that's the GEN2 motor with the front, small chainring. As I understand it, the GEN3 motor has a full size chain ring and was/is used on commuter bikes.

I have a feeling that the OP actually meant a GEN2 motor, rather than GEN3...

As I understand it, one of the principle problems with the GEN2 motor was poor waterproofing at the bearings.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
I think that's the GEN2 motor with the front, small chainring. As I understand it, the GEN3 motor has a full size chain ring and was/is used on commuter bikes.

I have a feeling that the OP actually meant a GEN2 motor, rather than GEN3...

As I understand it, one of the principle problems with the GEN2 motor was poor waterproofing at the bearings.

Seems like it, it's a 2019 model which.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Seems like it, it's a 2019 model which.

It's likely to be the GEN2 motor. My mate bought a Lapierre HT in 2020 (2019 model) and that has the GEN2 motor with the small chainring. He loves it. (EDIT: Forgot to say: rain/wet ingress is not a problem in this part of the world.)

Last edited:

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I have a 2019 Reaction Pro. Gen 2. Small chainring because there is internal gearing to compensate I believe. Some mention chain suck but never had an issue. No ingress issues that I know of after 4000 km but I like to think I am quite careful. Only thing for me is it looks a bit odd. Less likely to get bashed on a trail hazard I would think...if that's a thing?
Never rode a gen 4 so can't compare but have to say if I was buying now, I'd get the 4, just to stay current. Jumped on the last of the gen 2s really because they were less hassle to derestrict, but then never derestricted anyway...
Oh, and it was cheap as a runout model.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles