Bosch CX Gen4 noisy

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
So far I have pedaled a bit over 1000km on my Mondraker Crafty. The last couple of rides I have noticed the motor noise has randomly and temporarily gotten a lot louder than what I am used to hearing. Anyone else noticed such happening? The rides have been muddy and the motor covers have been coated with thick mud so that could be the reason but I doubt it.

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
The motors a fully sealed and a thick coat of mud might actually dampen the noise (but I'm just guessing). I have read the motors can increase in noise after 600km. I'm sure others will chime in who know more.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Bumped into this and it’s exactly how mine intermittently sounds;

So if I understood correctly Bosch have used aluminum bearings instead of ceramic ones in some units to save weight and it’s apparently been a bad idea.

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia

So if I understood correctly Bosch have used aluminum bearings instead of ceramic ones in some units to save weight and it’s apparently been a bad idea.

Wow what a difference. He should have handed the phone over to the other rider to get a better comparison of sound. I had no idea what they were saying. Are there any forum posts that describe the issue with the bearings?
If I was you I would be making a warranty claim if that was the case. I read somewhere Bosch just swap out motors deemed to be faulty in the first 2 years, but in this current environment I would assume there are not going to be much stock available. Even if they can't replace/repair it straight away you could still use it until stock has been sorted out. The key thing would be to make the claim before 2 years of ownership.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Wow what a difference. He should have handed the phone over to the other rider to get a better comparison of sound. I had no idea what they were saying. Are there any forum posts that describe the issue with the bearings?
If I was you I would be making a warranty claim if that was the case. I read somewhere Bosch just swap out motors deemed to be faulty in the first 2 years, but in this current environment I would assume there are not going to be much stock available. Even if they can't replace/repair it straight away you could still use it until stock has been sorted out. The key thing would be to make the claim before 2 years of ownership.

Yeah I already made a warranty claim this morning. I think I will attach my GoPro somewhere in the frame to record the change in the motor sound for the LBS as it’s not there 100% of the time yet. But it sounds like a broken or soon to be breaking electric motor ?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

My Gen 4 motor sounded exactly like the second (louder) one until I had the software upgrade. It now sounds like the quiet one.

The change in noise was why I asked the dealer if he had downgraded the motor by mistake!

I wonder whether these two bikes were running the same software version...

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
My Gen 4 motor sounded exactly like the second (louder) one until I had the software upgrade. It now sounds like the quiet one.

The change in noise was why I asked the dealer if he had downgraded the motor by mistake!

I wonder whether these two bikes were running the same software version...

I have the newest update. And to my knowledge that orange bikes motor was changed to a new one and it’s silent.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Took a short video where it doesn’t sound the worst it has sounded. There was next to no workload for the motor and the trail was flat. It was much quieter before I hit the 1000km, I barely noticed it on the pavement when I was going easy. Now it seems to be even louder when going easy than when hammering it ?‍♂️

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles