Forest of Dean Accommodations

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Hi all,
I've apparently got a few days off in the next week or so and was thinking of heading down there to try my hand at some of the blue (maybe red) trails and get used to "proper" riding again. Having recently switched from a torque system to a cadence system it's taking a bit of effort to get used to the different styles and I figured spending a few days playing around FOD would help with my transition and confidence :LOL:

I've found a couple of places but they seem to be whole cottages or are over £120++ per night which is a feels like overkill when it's just me but I am considering Glamping at Whitemead forest park which doesn't seem to far away from the FOD trail centre or there's a couple of places at Parkend which might be okay. I know a few on here spend a fair amount of time in and around FOD and was wondering if there were any recommendations on places to stay that have secure bike storage onsite, as opposed to leaving the bike in the car?

Thanks in advance :)

8bit Barry

Jan 10, 2024
Devon
Hi all,
I've apparently got a few days off in the next week or so and was thinking of heading down there to try my hand at some of the blue (maybe red) trails and get used to "proper" riding again. Having recently switched from a torque system to a cadence system it's taking a bit of effort to get used to the different styles and I figured spending a few days playing around FOD would help with my transition and confidence :LOL:

I've found a couple of places but they seem to be whole cottages or are over £120++ per night which is a feels like overkill when it's just me but I am considering Glamping at Whitemead forest park which doesn't seem to far away from the FOD trail centre or there's a couple of places at Parkend which might be okay. I know a few on here spend a fair amount of time in and around FOD and was wondering if there were any recommendations on places to stay that have secure bike storage onsite, as opposed to leaving the bike in the car?

I totally agree - £120 a night is just crippling. It stops me doing a lot of things these days.

I calculated that £120 in 2024 is in fact £95 in 2019 - that's how much everything has risen - except for our wages of course!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Totally agree on the costs of accommodation. I used to do loads of weekends away pre 2020. Plenty of b&b's around for a max of £50 or so back then.
I'm not paying what they charge these days, I sleep in my van.

Last edited:

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Hehe I'm sooooo very tempted to sell the car and buy a van but I like my car and don't like the higher insurance costs of a van :LOL:

Yeah I've seen quite a few B&B's down at parkend and surrounding areas for that sort of cash but instead of ringing them all to see if they have storage (shed or cellar or whatnot) I figured I'd see if there are any recommendations before I do :)

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
We recently stayed at the Speech House, really nice and bike friendly, also right on plot.
Edit
Having said that just looked, we paid £80 last week, it's up for £103 this week!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Hehe I'm sooooo very tempted to sell the car and buy a van but I like my car and don't like the higher insurance costs of a van :LOL:

Yeah I've seen quite a few B&B's down at parkend and surrounding areas for that sort of cash but instead of ringing them all to see if they have storage (shed or cellar or whatnot) I figured I'd see if there are any recommendations before I do :)

Can’t comment on the accommodation, but there’s great riding from parkend

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Ah I keep forgetting it's 2 weeks for Easter holidays, might change plans slightly then and stick to local routes and Gisburn until later on the year 😄

Will take a look at the speech house and s few of the other places at parkend, cheers all ... I don't think I'm quite ready to give up the car just yet but it's definitely something I'll look into I think.

FrostFlame

Mar 15, 2024
Philippines
Hi all,

if you're leaning towards Glamping, Whitemead forest park is a solid choice, especially with its proximity to the trails. You might also want to check out Parkend for options. In terms of bike security, ensuring onsite storage is a smart move. Maybe give Whitemead a call to confirm their storage situation, and likewise with any Parkend spots you're eyeing up.

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
I took a look at the whitemead pods thinking I could chain it up on the porch or slip it inside but they had no space for the dates I was looking at... makes a lot more sense given school hols.

Good to know I'm looking in the right :)

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Good advice wherever I end up that one :)

I've got a Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7 with a double loop cable which serves as a decent enough deterrent around my local trails when grabbing coffee/etc. but as with all locks, I'm pretty sure someone well enough equipped could make their way through it. Might get a heavy duty chain to go with it for overnight stays.

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
Hi Gizzmo, If you can get in Try The Doward Park Campsite. A few Belltents available. Owners are cyclists. It's at the top of the Great Doward on the river Wye. Not FOD I grant you but. Loads of natural trails down the Doward to Biblins bridge. Then over the bridge turn right to get to the Staunton hills on the left. The bottom of the valley links you up to the Peregrine Way cycle route that joins Monmouth to Symonds Yatt eg liquid refreshments. For FOD, over Bridge, left and right, straight up to Berry Hill then 1/2 mile-1 mile away to the top of the downhill runs where you can go blue down the Verderers to join the trail centre and plan from there. Apologies if a bit late.

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
FOD is as boggy as buggery at present so sensible to leave it a bit. The Verderers will be ok but I expect the first bit of the Red will be sodden. I would plan Blue until you hit the extended red and join it there as it will be less busy.

Reactions: Dax

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Hahaha it would appear everywhere I've looked at is and based on the weather forecast for the upcoming weeks it ain't getting any better 😭

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles