For those of you with tow bar bike racks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought a tow bar when I got my first emtb. As soon as we got to the wetter weather I started to experience brake howl on the trails. I started to use brake cleaner on the discs after every ride, but the result was hit and miss. Long story short, it was oily crap blown up from the road and landing on the discs. The first time I braked, the oil went onto the pads and the howling began. How to fix?

I used 8" sandwich bags to slip over the discs, one per disc. I had to cut one side of the bag down to half way to get the bag fully on. The zipper closure helped to secure the bag. Problem solved! When I get where I'm going and remove the bags, I can see oily brown droplets all over the bags. (Oh, and I don't drive a diesel engined car, so it's not a knackered engine). That oily crap must be all over the bike!

It is important to use the bags on the return journey as well, just in case you don't have time to clean the bike before your next ride.

On today's ride, when I got to the trail, I discovered that the front bag had blown off (the zipper had come off, but I couldn't be arsed to replace the bag). Result was: rear brake fine, front brake close to useless and very noisy as well. With the brake fully on, I could push the bike quite easily.

So if you have similar problems, use those 8" (200mm) sandwich bags! They are re-usable too.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
if it was a busy road the oil probably came from other cars/trucks which was sucked into the gap between your boot lid and the bike .
Blood corbin19 virus will reduce cars on the road so now is the time to go to the trails!!:oops:
BUT should we????

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.............Blood corbin19 virus will reduce cars on the road so now is the time to go to the trails!!:oops:
BUT should we????
I consider it as self -isolating in the forest! :)
Plus I get exercise and fresh air, feel-good endorphins, what's not to like? :)
But if I have an accident that needs attendance at A&E then I could be in trouble. :eek:

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
i'm sure iv'e seen covers designed especially for discs if not you could get a couple of neoprene sleeves like the ones you use to cover gas canisters while camping.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
i'm sure iv'e seen covers designed especially for discs if not you could get a couple of neoprene sleeves like the ones you use to cover gas canisters while camping.

Muck Off do something to cover discs when spraying the frame to stop oil getting on rotors/brake pads.
How about shoower caps...bit Nora Batty....whats not to like!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
The Muc Off ones look vile and are so expensive. The sandwich bag covers work just as well, have lower wind resistance, are reusable. Oh and they don't cost me anything! :)

There're an option, I use those bags for loose fruit/veg at the supermarket when spraying anything, also free.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................On today's ride, when I got to the trail, I discovered that the front bag had blown off ........ Result was: rear brake fine, front brake close to useless and very noisy as well. With the brake fully on, I could push the bike quite easily. .........
I removed the pads and they were black.
Soaked in isopropyl alcohol (IPA) (I believe it's the same stuff as disc brake cleaner) and wiped as much of the black off as possible, repeat to be sure. Then rubbed the pads in a circular fashion on a piece of sandpaper placed on a flat surface. Cleaned the discs with IPA, both sides, twice. Placed the pads on the concrete coal bunker, tipped some IPA over them and put the gas blowlamp on to them until the edges of the pads glowed red. The heat burned off the IPA and any remaining oily deposits. Once they'd cooled, I rubbed them down again, refitted and then bedded them in. Result, perfect!
This process is known as the Disco Inferno! :LOL:

If you don't have a blowlamp, hold the pads in your gas cooker rings. All electric? Go see a mate!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles