For the eMTB, what does it mean to have the best performance in your mind?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not sure I understand what you are asking exactly but in general terms performance on any bike is its ability to deal well with whatever type of riding you do.....trail, all mountain, enduro,freeride, downhill.................plus I guess reliability. So nothing really different between analogue and Emtbs except of course Emtbs deliver greater capability in terms of climbing and energy preservation on longer adventure rides.

If your question relates to performance differences between various Emtb purchase options, then it is much the same as an analogue bike in terms of bike fit, frame geometry and grades of components. The added dimension is of course the motor/battery/display combination. You can only determine if you prefer one over another by trying them.........the main options being Bosch, Brose, Shimano and Yamaha.

minsunmini

Sep 22, 2021
New York City
Not sure I understand what you are asking exactly but in general terms performance on any bike is its ability to deal well with whatever type of riding you do.....trail, all mountain, enduro,freeride, downhill.................plus I guess reliability. So nothing really different between analogue and Emtbs except of course Emtbs deliver greater capability in terms of climbing and energy preservation on longer adventure rides.

If your question relates to performance differences between various Emtb purchase options, then it is much the same as an analogue bike in terms of bike fit, frame geometry and grades of components. The added dimension is of course the motor/battery/display combination. You can only determine if you prefer one over another by trying them.........the main options being Bosch, Brose, Shimano and Yamaha.

That makes sense. I wondered if there are anything specific to eMTB. I wonder range of eMTB bike is also important on top of all the analog bike performance. I got to try some eMTB at the Sea Otter event and it was interesting experience for sure.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I usually ride with Moe Gravity. I’m not sure what his problem is but he’s really old and he really sucks. I know it sounds harsh but… Moe Gravity really sucks. Whether I like it or not …he’s always there and is extremely tough on me and my bike. Especially during an OTB, which I’ve had a few. I realize that if it wasn’t for him my ride would likely be boring, so I guess I kinda appreciate him. Come to think about it…if it wasn’t for him I’d probably be doing something else. 😉

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
What does performance even means? I wonder if it is any different from the "analog" mountain e-bike.

That's a little vague, Mini, but the term doesn't differ much between electric and analog bikes. Despite it being late on a Saturday night, I'll try to think of what I look for in a good "performing" bike.

It needs to go straight when I need it to go straight.
It needs to remain stable while carving corners.
It needs to soak up bumps both big and small and any speed.
It needs to transmit power to the ground efficiently.
It needs to brake powerfully but with precision control.
It needs to shift accurately and quickly.

How's that for a start?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
With an assist or not i look for a bike that will perform well in the majority of what i do.
I like 4 hrs range, 55 pounds max, reasonable price and RELIABLE.

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
When jumping I notice the Rail5 is more front wheel heavy...it wants to land on the front wheel first. Probably because of heavy battery and motor.

My lighter Trek Roscoe hardtail is more balanced during jumps and lands more equally front to rear. Easier to controll in flight.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
What does performance even means? I wonder if it is any different from the "analog" mountain e-bike.
For me, it should be exciting (fast) for the longest time possible. I should feel a little guilty for not wearing enough protection, and get more air than I planned often. If it manages to go faster for longer, even better. I want to feel giddy like a kid on it, not suffering. Zero guilt about riding an ebike here. The goal is for flats and uphills to be as fast and furious as descents. I like descents. Ideally, the breaks between high speed sections should be only long enough to give the lower back and quads a brief rest when/if needed.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles