Do's and Don'ts for e-bike battery care. What do you do to keep your battery performing at its best?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are specific storage and charging temperature limits (1)...............and there are recommendations regarding temperature and humidity to ensure maximum longevity of the battery (2). If you have to store the bike/battery in a shed or garage all year round ( in the UK) you merely risk it not performing to maximum capacity for as long as one stored indoors (2). The difference is probably not that great!!

PS if you are concerned a bout bike security when stored in a shed or garage because it has a non removeable battery, remove the wheels and keep them indoors...........on most bikes it is a 2 minute job and a bike with no wheels is going to be less attractive.
I store my bikes in the house but if I am working on a bike and it has to stay in the garage on a workstand for a few days, I remove the battery and both wheels and keep them indoors. Worse case scenario, the bike gets nicked but at least I have a battery and 2 wheels :LOL:

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
There are specific storage and charging temperature limits (1)...............and there are recommendations regarding temperature and humidity to ensure maximum longevity of the battery (2). If you have to store the bike/battery in a shed or garage all year round ( in the UK) you merely risk it not performing to maximum capacity for as long as one stored indoors (2). The difference is probably not that great!!
Shimano (and others) say if you operate below the minimum temps you won't damage the battery, and performance/capacity will return to normal when temps go back up so no worries with garage storage (in the UK).

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Yeah most li-ions are specced down to a -20 degC operating/storage temp so normally well within UK temps. All that happens when discharging them at these temps is a range loss which can be a lot more than many think.
Of note though is that charging temp should ideally be above 0~10deg C depending on what specific cell is used (eg Sanyo GA18650 being 10deg, Samsung 21700 being 0 deg)....which could impact UK temps. My battery is always stored in the house so not a problem but it wouldn't be ideal to charge an empty pack immediately after it's been sitting in a shed at -10 overnight.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Shimano (and others) say if you operate below the minimum temps you won't damage the battery, and performance/capacity will return to normal when temps go back up so no worries with garage storage (in the UK).
I suppose mine occasionally gets left now and then probably not when it's baltic though and its a faff running a cable from house to shed for charging . I should have put power in there years ago it probably won't happen now. I was after a gravel bike with maybe a 500 battery thats removable as I am intending touring. Unless I'm willing to pay a fortune its not going to happen. Can't wheel a bike in to a cafe but they probably let you charge a battery. Worse scenario you pay something.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles