Do's and Don'ts for e-bike battery care. What do you do to keep your battery performing at its best?

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I've been wondering how ebike riders can properly take care and maintain their batteries if they are non removable? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Battery removal & charging access is essential in my opinion and something I would check before buying an ebike that features a frame integrated battery design. A few questions always cross my mind:
  • bike batteries are incorporated into the frame and ?
  • Can the battery be quickly removed and replaced by myself without tools and without going to a bike shop ? Or is the bike/frame designed as such so that the battery cannot be removed by the rider?
  • Can the battery be easily charged directly from the bike without removing the battery? Is the charging port on the bike well designed?
  • Can a new battery for the bike be easily sourced if I want to secure a spare, or for after warranty replacement?
I started compiling a list of recent eMTB models which unfortunately DO NOT offer self removal batteries or require tools for removing the battery. Here is my list so far:

BrandModel YearNote
OrbeaWild M-LTD2023
NukeproofMegawatt Carbon2023Tooling required

Is your ebike battery removable? If not, do you see this as a drawback or limitation?
Orbea Rise battery is built in, removal means dropping the motor. This design means a lighter down tube which is good, but not ideal for winter storage and/or replacing. Not a deal-breaker for me . . yet.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I've been wondering how ebike riders can properly take care and maintain their batteries if they are non removable? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Battery removal & charging access is essential in my opinion and something I would check before buying an ebike that features a frame integrated battery design. A few questions always cross my mind:
  • bike batteries are incorporated into the frame and ?
  • Can the battery be quickly removed and replaced by myself without tools and without going to a bike shop ? Or is the bike/frame designed as such so that the battery cannot be removed by the rider?
  • Can the battery be easily charged directly from the bike without removing the battery? Is the charging port on the bike well designed?
  • Can a new battery for the bike be easily sourced if I want to secure a spare, or for after warranty replacement?
I started compiling a list of recent eMTB models which unfortunately DO NOT offer self removal batteries or require tools for removing the battery. Here is my list so far:

BrandModel YearNote
OrbeaWild M-LTD2023
NukeproofMegawatt Carbon2023Tooling required

Is your ebike battery removable? If not, do you see this as a drawback or limitation?
I have removable battery on Turbo Levo but I have removed it only couple of times in 2 and 1/2 years. So I don't see any drawbacks on my use of emtb if battery is not removable. But I understand that many needs that option and it's good that there's different options. But one thing is sure, more the battery is intgrated, less trouble with it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My shed is cold in winter. To be honest i take it in to the hoose most of the year , no power in shed either . If bike gets stolen I hope they enjoy cycling it without a battery.

RiderOnTheStorm

My shed is cold in winter. To be honest i take it in to the hoose most of the year , no power in shed either.
Yeah, same routine here. I have to remove my battery and bring it inside quite often. For charging it or storing when it's too cold or too hot outside. Cannot just bring the whole bike inside!

I also like the convenience of quickly swapping batteries when going for epic rides and need longer autonomy. ;)

Not sure what I would do if i couldn't easily remove my battery! 🤔

RiderOnTheStorm

Taking good care of your battery? Check out this recent post which provides some good tips for prolonging our ebike battery lifespan. Quick read. Here is a summary:
  • Avoid extreme temperatures
  • Prefer partial discharge to deep discharge
  • Store the battery properly
  • Beware of fast charging

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Absolutly nothing to do with ebikes but they are dodgy batteries . It reminds me of a job I did a few years ago. Had to recover a Konesberg transponder beacon that had been on the seabed for 15 years with a Lithium battery in it .All departments on ship went no way that thing is coming on here too dangerous and it has never been done before just dig a hole and bury it.. Long story shortened we must have had several days of meetings at high level on board ship and at Maersk offices . In the end we recovered it and put it in a contraption the welder had spent a day constructing complete with valves to fill with water. It was the last thing taken on vessel with crane and we sailed immediately to Aberdeen 15 hours away. Area on deck cordoned off and two water cannons aimed on it all the time. Then it was offloaded immediately on arrival in Aberdeen. I said to my my manager what happens now as it was being driven on lorry through Aberdeen City. F all to do with us once it's on lorry 🚚 he said.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Absolutly nothing to do with ebikes but they are dodgy batteries . It reminds me of a job I did a few years ago. Had to recover a Konesberg transponder beacon that had been on the seabed for 15 years with a Lithium battery in it .All departments on ship went no way that thing is coming on here too dangerous and it has never been done before just dig a hole and bury it.. Long story shortened we must have had several days of meetings at high level on board ship and at Maersk offices . In the end we recovered it and put it in a contraption the welder had spent a day constructing complete with valves to fill with water. It was the last thing taken on vessel with crane and we sailed immediately to Aberdeen 15 hours away. Area on deck cordoned off and two water cannons aimed on it all the time. Then it was offloaded immediately on arrival in Aberdeen. I said to my my manager what happens now as it was being driven on lorry through Aberdeen City. F all to do with us once it's on lorry 🚚 he said.
TLDR: nothing happened!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not sure the transponder would be 5 foot long probably a metre. North Sea safety is OTT but we all got used to that.
Son telling me today of someone he works with. Moved a scooter in garage didn't switch on or anything. It had not been used for 9 months. Burst in to flames and burnt garage down.

RiderOnTheStorm

It had not been used for 9 months. Burst in to flames and burnt garage down.
Wow, that's really bad! :eek: Hope no one was injured. Do they know what caused the fire?

A lithium battery could still carry a high charge even after 9 months in storage. Was the battery physically damaged? Was it exposed to water or to extreme temperatures?

Chemical reactions leading to fire could have been triggered from a faulty (cheap?) battery, maybe an internal short circuit or some external damage.

I think storing these batteries in a fireproof bag/container, or like @Wilbur mentioned in another thread, possibly in a decommissioned oven, could be a safe bet. These batteries should also be stored at room temperature and not fully charged, ideally at 50-60%.(y)

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

On the battery safety topic, here is a quick recap of best practices I'm following when storing or charging my ebike batteries.

For storage, I remove my batteries from the bikes and keep them in fireproof/lipo bags at room temperature in a dry area, generally the basement. I've installed smoke detectors/fire alarms which are interconnected (networked) in each room. I also keep the batteries charged at 50-60% while in storage.

When charging, I'm never far away from the bike or battery so I can keep an eye on them. I preset a charging time based on % charge needed before a ride e.g. charging 2hr to reach 80% charge. I always unplug the charger when done and don't overcharge the battery.

I only use OEM chargers (2A or 4A) in a cool, well-ventilated area. And only trust OEM quality batteries that I've purchased new. ;)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Wow, that's really bad! :eek: Hope no one was injured. Do they know what caused the fire?

A lithium battery could still carry a high charge even after 9 months in storage. Was the battery physically damaged? Was it exposed to water or to extreme temperatures?

Chemical reactions leading to fire could have been triggered from a faulty (cheap?) battery, maybe an internal short circuit or some external damage.

I think storing these batteries in a fireproof bag/container, or like @Wilbur mentioned in another thread, possibly in a decommissioned oven, could be a safe bet. These batteries should also be stored at room temperature and not fully charged, ideally at 50-60%.(y)
Don't know much about what happened. Making me more careful anyway. I remove battery and keep it in wardrobe in bedroom. I normally just plug it in and charge in bedroom. Did it in kitchen yesterday after hearing that story.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I guess you just use it until it doesn't provide sufficient charge for your rides anymore.

Why is your battery dying, and how long have you had it?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
How to find out that the battery is at the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced? By volts or percent charge? Other criteria?
It's normally determined by the battery capacity (or lack of) and the internal resistance which limits the amount of current which the battery can supply and so the motor output power. Its very likely that the battery capacity will have reduced to the point where it isn't usable first though.

In practice, this means when it's no longer giving you a range which is acceptable to you it's time to replace.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
A bit like your mobile phone. Usually the battery still works, but once the capacity gets below a day, it starts becoming inconvenient because you have to charge multiple times a day. Those that don't have the luxury of buying a new phone can usually still use the phone though... Albeit by carrying a charge cable around all day.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A bit like your mobile phone. Usually the battery still works, but once the capacity gets below a day, it starts becoming inconvenient because you have to charge multiple times a day. Those that don't have the luxury of buying a n also have a ew phone can usually still use the phone though... Albeit by carrying a charge cable around all day.
it also has an off button:cool:

..or.........I also have a Nokia...battery lasts a bout 2 months!! and it weighs not much more than a credit card!! Progress my ass!

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
it also has an off button:cool:

..or.........I also have a Nokia...battery lasts a bout 2 months!! and it weighs not much more than a credit card!! Progress my ass!
I have a Raleigh, battery never goes flat ever because it doesn't have one and suspension never needs a service for same reason - and this is progress?? 😂

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I have a Raleigh, battery never goes flat ever because it doesn't have one and suspension never needs a service for same reason - and this is progress?? 😂
IKR! I sh*t in a hole in the ground and never need to flush or have any plumbing done - and this is progress?? 🤣

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Curiosity. It has one 36V 19.2Ah fifth-season battery with 20,000 km mileage. After a full charge, it has approx. 40V.

When new it would have been fully charged at 42v, unless your BMS has always kept the pack charge capped at 40v.

The 36v of the pack is the ‘nominal voltage’ the cells in the pack are considered ‘flat’ at 3.0v and fully charged at 4.2v.

Getting 20k out of a pack sounds like good going though, and it’s not finished yet. 👍

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I always take my battery indoors even in summer. Im looking at buying a gravel ebike seems a lot of these dont have easily removable batteries. Do manufacturers think we all have heated garages .

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I always take my battery indoors even in summer. Im looking at buying a gravel ebike seems a lot of these dont have easily removable batteries. Do manufacturers think we all have heated garages .

I leave mine fitted in the bikes outside in the workshop, have done for years and haven’t seen any adverse effects, even on the notoriously fussy Focus Jam2 that others have struggled to switch on when cold.

Whilst I’m confident that Lipo fires are a rare event, I still don’t want them in the house unnecessarily.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I leave mine fitted in the bikes outside in the workshop, have done for years and haven’t seen any adverse effects, even on the notoriously fussy Focus Jam2 that others have struggled to switch on when cold.

Whilst I’m confident that Lipo fires are a rare event, I still don’t want them in the house unnecessarily.
Yes it's just I read so much comments on here mainly about not storing below 10c. Which could be half the year really. I'm definitely getting more paranoid after a few broken Brose motors and the Internet can put me off .

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Yes it's just I read so much comments on here mainly about not storing below 10c. Which could be half the year really. I'm definitely getting more paranoid after a few broken Brose motors and the Internet can put me off .
Shimano say the temp limits for use are;
discharge: –10°C - 50°C
charging: 0°C - 40°C

Operating outside these temps can cause permanent damage.

Googling around I found a couple of articles which said storage in temps below -20c can cause permanent damage, in which case most of us in the UK are probably OK but YMMV.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Shimano say the temp limits for use are;
discharge: –10°C - 50°C
charging: 0°C - 40°C

Operating outside these temps can cause permanent damage.

Googling around I found a couple of articles which said storage in temps below -20c can cause permanent damage, in which case most of us in the UK are probably OK but YMMV.
Yes you hear folk in Finland for example or the Urals cycling in minus 20c . Are we being over cautious . Just I like the option of removing battery also if it gets stolen they will not be riding with no battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles