Focus thron novatec hub noise

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Hey folks
I have a focus thron 6.8 with about 9500km . Recently it has developed the dreaded novatec hub noise. See video.
Apart from this issue im very happy with the bike and have had lots of amazing adventures .
Im a big guy just under 100kg . Im mainly doing longer fire trail rides and some loaded touring . Not a lot of v rough riding.

My question is, is this a warranty issue ? I understand it is a known issue with some of the focus bikes with these hubs .
Should i just aim to get a new rear hub?
If so what is recomended ?

The back wheel is in at my local focus dealer . They seemed to have an idea what the issue was when i sent them the video.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
most likely a knackered bearing. When was the last time the rear hub was cleaned/serviced?

Quick and simple fix provided it has not damaged the axle. Bearings wear especailly if there is dirt ingress, and you have done a decent mileage so not a warranty issue.

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Ok thanks for the information
As for servicing /greasing the the hub , i have never done it myself. I wonder if my local bike shop would have done that when they replaced my rear cassette at 5000km
Will chat to the lbs in the next couple of days and find out the verdict
Matt

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Don’t know how old the bike is or the milage you have done on it. But I think there is possibly warranty on it, although they will just fit the same poor quality parts.
I choose to upgrade my wheels to stop the problem happening again to my Thron.

BDB7DB2D-DB66-4F53-B4EF-EC6DCE709CF9.jpeg
062A3DF4-9ABF-4939-90E2-DB12C7FE2E3D.jpeg
FC208A6C-EB4B-42DE-9F37-D5C99C26906A.jpeg
2A38C8C3-985E-4851-8954-54CA17664202.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A lot of hub/freehub systems are poorly sealed, probably the worst culprits being the low cost OEM products like Formula and Novatec. It does not mean they are no good but it does mean they need regular servicing and cleaning. Paying particlular attention to the methods used to seal the main axle on both sides and the seal on the face of the freehub that sits in the drive side of the hub ( the green seal in the photo above). These need to be cleaned, greased and properly seated and replaced if damaged. Very often poor quality supposedly sealed bearings are also used. You get what you pay for with bearings. A low cost bearing will have a low ABEC rating meaning greater engineering tolerances. and often a lower quality of packed grease. Wear on a bearing quickly compromises the bearing rubber seals ability to both prevent grease escaping and dirt/water ingress.

Hubs systems using end caps are generally better sealed but the end caps providing the seal so should be a good fit.........if they come off easilly by hand the seal is probably worn. Brands like Hope and DT Swiss also specify higher quality....sometimes bigger....bearings.

No experience of Hope, but my DT Swiss 350 hubs on H1700 wheels seem really well sealed.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Not in the market yet for a new hub but I wonder if there’s any opinion on these hubs;

I was at the Vancouver Bike Show this weekend and this hub was the only thing that caught my eye. Played around with the cutaway version of the silent hub. They had one installed on a MTB so we could spin the wheel. Absolutely no noise …period. They claim 6 degrees of engagement, cost less than a similar Onyx hub, light and suitable for an eMTB. Not sure of the colours available. They had a finished version also and it was lite. The sales guy figured it would be about $600 CDN. I wish I had taken some pics or a video.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles