Focus Jam2 SL

angel_grin

Feb 13, 2023
Australia
Hi all, just wondering why is the focus Jam2 SL not selling? I am looking to get one but cant find any proper review or even user groups in FB. Is there a problem with the bike? Should i get another bike instead? It ticks all the boxes for me. Light weight, mid power and an all around geo.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Enduro MTB review
Haven’t you found that one?

I was also interested and I find the bike really nice looking, well specced but a couple of stuff discouraged me, which are:
-the cable going through the stem
-have to remove the battery to charge it, I’m afraid it could be a long term reliability issue.
-the motor and battery reliability and performance for a 20kg+bike.
-And there are not many distributors where I am so for support and warranty it’s not ideal.

In the end I have kept my decoy which is dead reliable and only 2kg heavier with more capacity but when I was close to go for a lighter EMTB I would have considered the Rise more than the Focus in the end because of the previous points.

angel_grin

Feb 13, 2023
Australia
Enduro MTB review
Haven’t you found that one?

I was also interested and I find the bike really nice looking, well specced but a couple of stuff discouraged me, which are:
-the cable going through the stem
-have to remove the battery to charge it, I’m afraid it could be a long term reliability issue.
-the motor and battery reliability and performance for a 20kg+bike.
-And there are not many distributors where I am so for support and warranty it’s not ideal.

In the end I have kept my decoy which is dead reliable and only 2kg heavier with more capacity but when I was close to go for a lighter EMTB I would have considered the Rise more than the Focus in the end because of the previous points.

thanks, for the detailed response. i agree with your points, and would look for another bike instead. About not finding reviews, i meant to say actual user reviews.

the Orbea rise was also one of my choices but the travel seems to be too short.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020
Sospel
We have them and love them. Great geo,for the alpine enduro-type riding that we do. We're really impressed with the fazua ride 60 motors in terms of power and range. They are an obvious difference to our previous orbea 'full fat' FS Wild in terms of speed up steeper hills, but mostly this is only noticeable if we're out with others on 'full fat' as otherwise we just knock the pace back a bit and we can still do most of the technical climbs that we rode previously.

They feel much smoother moving down from power modes (I.e I always felt like I was starting to ride through sludge if I came out of Turbo on the orbea) and therefore I pretty much always kept in Turbo on the FS Wild (we do have steep mountain climbs around here!) and I found eco was miserable on that bike. But on the Focus SL, I spend a lot more time in the lower power modes as it feels like you're putting a more natural pedal stroke down and it rides smoothly uphill.

They are so much fun on the downs and we love the lightweight feel. Also love the lightweight for loading the bikes in the car and lifting them!

We've had them since July and haven't wanted to go back to any full fat alternative.

Giampy

Jan 31, 2024
Italia
I recently took a jam2 sl 8.8, before I had a rise H10, with this I found myself well for my mountain routes.
I wanted to change bikes and stay in the light sector, I had tried a fazua engine that I really liked, thanks to its naturalness in pedalling and the engine torque already available at low rates.
I liked the jam for its precision in driving, it is very sincere in the narrow paths, it is stable in the most interted sections, maintaining a neutral behaviour between agility and stability,
The Rise was honestly more ready in the changes of direction, but less precise and stable than the jam.
At the moment I am very satisfied, on Saturday I took her to the limit in Enduro light trails, it goes down with the safety and agility I was looking for!.
For me it is not a problem the fact of removing the battery to charge it is a very fast manoeuvre, also I prefer the removable battery (as opposed to the rise) because I can keep it in the car in transport and at home during the period of non-use.
Regarding the mentioned fact of the battery socket that could be damaged over time, I noticed two things: the plug is of the Rosenberger type used by specy for many years with insertion sometimes not perfectly agile for the specy being lateral at the bottom and having to detach it every time for charging, according to possibly the socket and easily replaceable, but being aligned and very firm in the insertion I doubt it can bring problems.
Conclusions, I personally would recommend this bike, I find it an excellent compromise between stability and agility, a full carbon frame, and a means to have fun without shelling out huge sums.
Mine in size M with update fork lyrik carbon handlebar, weighs 18.9 kg with flat pedals.
Ciao.

Last edited:

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
I recently got the Jam2 SL, and all I can say is that I'm more than happy.
For quite a long time I have looked for a new SL to replace my first gen Levo Sl. I was looking for a light MTB with more power. I had different motor systems to choose from: TQ 50, Specialized SL1.2, Fazua 60, Bosch SX, Shimano RS. My criterion were stealthy motor integration, powerful enough to ride with full power ebikes, and 400wh minimum battery. Turns out the Fazua was a the best candidate.

Of course there are different options with this motor (Haibike, Pivot, Lapierre, Santa Cruz, Focus).
I wanted something not to trailish, so was looking for 150/160mm minimum with open angles and enduroish geo.
I was therefore left with 2 choices Heckler SL vs Jam2 SL.
The Focus is definitely a better value for money, no doubts. I went for it.
The variable geo of the Jam2 SL is a very nice feature, the build quality is really good as well. I'm super happy with the motor feeling on the uphills, and the bike handling on the downhill.
The only down for me is the bike weight, mine is just 20kg stock with pedals. The aluminium wheels and groupset are very heavy, but this can be changed easily.

Overall this is a really nice light emtb, that deserves more credits.
I can only recommend this bike. Flow MTB apparently feels the same way:

Giampy

Jan 31, 2024
Italia
I recently brought the head angle to 64.5 degrees using the adjustable headset.
I immediately perceived a more relaxed ride, which however gave the bike remarkable stability on the trails!
More and more satisfied with the choice made!
Ciao.

OZ-E

Jun 21, 2021
Australia
I recently got the Jam2 SL, and all I can say is that I'm more than happy.
For quite a long time I have looked for a new SL to replace my first gen Levo Sl. I was looking for a light MTB with more power. I had different motor systems to choose from: TQ 50, Specialized SL1.2, Fazua 60, Bosch SX, Shimano RS. My criterion were stealthy motor integration, powerful enough to ride with full power ebikes, and 400wh minimum battery. Turns out the Fazua was a the best candidate.

Of course there are different options with this motor (Haibike, Pivot, Lapierre, Santa Cruz, Focus).
I wanted something not to trailish, so was looking for 150/160mm minimum with open angles and enduroish geo.
I was therefore left with 2 choices Heckler SL vs Jam2 SL.
The Focus is definitely a better value for money, no doubts. I went for it.
The variable geo of the Jam2 SL is a very nice feature, the build quality is really good as well. I'm super happy with the motor feeling on the uphills, and the bike handling on the downhill.
The only down for me is the bike weight, mine is just 20kg stock with pedals. The aluminium wheels and groupset are very heavy, but this can be changed easily.

Overall this is a really nice light emtb, that deserves more credits.
I can only recommend this bike. Flow MTB apparently feels the same way:
Curious if you also tested the Heckler SL?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles