Focus Jam2 weatherproofing

Garry

Mar 29, 2021
Brampton, Cumbria
First ride on my Focus Jam2 on Saturday, first time on an e-mtb. It was a wee bit wet, but certainly nothing like as bad as it can be in the North of England. When I got back, I removed the battery to put it on charge and muddy water had found it's way into the battery compartment. Question: is this a worry? Should I spray every wire and connector I can see with ACF-50 or similar? I can't see any obvious drain holes, but surely after a stream crossing or rain deluge, or even a gentle washing, there is going to be some water which needs to find it's way out of the down tube/battery compartment. Anyone with a similar bike got any thoughts or tips?
Thanks,
Garry

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to water ingress ? when I wash the bike I tape up the edges of the battery cover with masking tape, tape over the key hole etc , I've never found much water in the battery compartment but I like to be safe and it only takes 5mins to do ?

I bought one of those blank plugs to cover the battery connection whilst the battery is out of the bike , extra protection ?

I take the battery out after every ride and charge it in the house but I do spray everything with WD-40 contact cleaner after I wash it ?

Last edited:

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Well my Jam2 goes through all sorts of stuff, too; done a thousand miles on it so far, washed after every ride, the battery connection has never been an issue; and I remove it after every ride. I occasionally squirt some GT85 about the connector but I don’t over do it.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Thanks chaps, suitably reassured. Blank plugs? where from?
I got mine from here ?

Screenshot_2021-03-29-19-26-40-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Garry, there are a few things you might need to be aware of, that I’ve seen/suffered with the bike, and a few others have, too:
If the key is a bit tough to get in and out, or to turn, then get some very light oil in there; there is a thread I put up regarding this.
Be very careful/gentle if you use the charge point on the bike itself, it’s very flimsy; mine broke and I had to replace it.....common problem on most ebikes, I believe.
If you get a loud drumming noise from the rear hub get the dealer to sort it, it may have one of the original bad ones installed, 3 pawl as opposed to a 5 pawl; I finally got mine replaced a few weeks ago, under warranty. Might be a few threads on this. Search Novatec for info.
And notoriously, the Bosch motor cover on the left side tends to fall off, keep an eye on it, Bosch say it’s due to pedal strikes; I just think it’s not stuck on properly. All gen 4 Bosch bikes affected, not just Focus.
All the above are annoying little issues....apart from the hub; mine has been fixed, I can now ride with total confidence. And it’s a really good bike. Happy riding.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My shimano powered '17 model has never suffered from water ingress in spite of trying to swim a very deep ford which covered the motor completely...I did make a very hasty retreat...in wet shoes and troos........first class marks to Shimano. Nil point to the rider for stupidity.

Duckis

Aug 4, 2021
Finland
If you get a loud drumming noise from the rear hub get the dealer to sort it, it may have one of the original bad ones installed, 3 pawl as opposed to a 5 pawl; I finally got mine replaced a few weeks ago, under warranty. Might be a few threads on this. Search Novatec for info.

Hi! I just had this problem and sent the rear wheel back to my bikeshop. I've searched for these problems with Novatec from this forum BUT is that really true that the freewheel should have 5 pawls ? Because my problematic hub/freehub had only 3 pawls and now I think should I message the bikeshop to make sure they replace the faulty one with 5 pawls-version ?

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Hi! I just had this problem and sent the rear wheel back to my bikeshop. I've searched for these problems with Novatec from this forum BUT is that really true that the freewheel should have 5 pawls ? Because my problematic hub/freehub had only 3 pawls and now I think should I message the bikeshop to make sure they replace the faulty one with 5 pawls-version ?
Hi Duckis, well, as soon as the bike shop techie spoke to Focus and mentioned the rear hub they said straight away that they’d put a new one in the post; and they did. And I’ve not had a problem with it since it was replaced.

Duckis

Aug 4, 2021
Finland
Hi Duckis, well, as soon as the bike shop techie spoke to Focus and mentioned the rear hub they said straight away that they’d put a new one in the post; and they did. And I’ve not had a problem with it since it was replaced.

Great to hear! I hope that my bike shop techie does the same and contact Focus also :) The bike shop is German and Focus is German so there's a good possibility atleast :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles